written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 1 June 2024

Gardens

We all love gardens, don't we? Whether that's designing, cultivating and spending time in our own or visiting some of the beautiful creations of others in public spaces or on country estates. One thing is for sure, though, the cultivating and tending part is a tough gig when you arrive at your eighth decade!

Monet in his garden at Giverny
Claude Monet (1840-1926), rightly celebrated as one of the foremost Impressionist painters, acquired a house with land at Giverny, fifty miles north-west of Paris, when he was in his mid-forties, after his first wife had died. It was to be a stable home for Monet, his children and eventually his second wife. He lived there  for the next forty years. As well as renovating the house and building his studio, he also spent decades with the help of family and friends transforming the garden into a botanical paradise in which to live and to paint. He bought more strips of land when he could afford to, and this horticultural project became a lifelong passion.

He is quoted as saying: "I am only good at two things, and those are painting and gardening. Everything I have earned has gone into this garden. Colour is my day-long obsession, joy and torment. I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers. The more I live, the more I realise that the colours at Giverny are the most beautiful colours in the world. My garden is my most beautiful masterpiece."

If you've seen Monet's paintings you're probably familiar with his depictions of agapanthus, geraniums, irises, peonies, roses, water-lilies, willows, wisteria, garden paths, picnics under his trees, brilliant vistas. He painted the same views many times, trying to capture his impressions of the beauty around him. Of course the views were never actually the same, for the colours and light were different on each occasion. Ironically, for all his mastery of his craft, he burned many of his canvasses. Maybe that's how one preserves one's reputation for excellence! 

As he grew old, his sight began to fail him, a cruel affliction for one whose life had been all about experiencing and responding to what he saw around him. He still planned enhancements to his garden but now employed a team of gardeners to do the spadework for him. He loved nothing more than to walk around his garden, to share it with friends and visitors, to continue being inspired by its beauty. And he continued to paint under its spell, despite his failing eyesight, even enlarging his studio to accommodate the expansive canvases that he worked on during his final few fading years.

Monet's house and gardens were painstakingly restored after fifty years of neglect and became classified as a 'monument historique' in 1976.Nowadays Giverny is one of the most visited sites in France, outside of Paris. 

My own Blackpool back garden is due for a major make-over in the next few months. Out will go rotten old decking and concrete paving slabs. I want more nature, more greenery, flowers, herbs, bees and butterflies, terracotta pots, a tree  I'm trying to grow olive saplings from seed but I don't know if the climate is sufficiently conducive - that wintry west wind for instance. Like Monet in his seventies, it will have to be something I can tend to without overmuch back-breaking effort. Design is key, as is the budget. Wish me luck.

geraniums at Kythira in Greece
One thing's for sure, there will be lots of geraniums, as well as irises, lilies and roses. I'll sign off with the latest piece I've been working on.  I'm not sure if this is the poem's final flowering or not. Time will tell.

Geranium-365
Primordial and perennial, in a sun-kissed Kythira garden
from white-washed, rust-streaked tins watered at dusk,
Aphrodite's progeny branches and buds, then explodes
in profusion, red like blood, pink as passion. Incandescent

she comes once again, apparition more dazzling than flame 
from a time before earth was formed, hovering between 
the impossible and the inevitable, a fissile isotope fixing
to blow the world apart anew, shatter your flowering heart.

On a simple iron bedstead among twisted sheets we lie
savouring consummate peace, with the departing day framed
through blue shutters. By a trick of inverted light, a flush
of geranium red shafts itself across peeling walls and ceiling.

Lucretius, forefather of atomic thought, captured the effect
of her florid alchemy thus: "the heavens are all assuaged 
and pour forth torrents of light; the waves of the sea smile."  
In blue jeans you slip out to the yard, watering-can in hand.









Thanks for reading, S ;-)

58 comments:

Saskia Parker said...

Beautiful. ❤️

Grant Trescothick said...

A delightful read. Well done with the poem and good luck with your garden project.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Thanks for this. I love Monet's paintings. That photograph if him in his garden is beautiful. I wish now we'd visited Giverny when we were over in Europe but you can't do everything, can you? I love your latest poem.

Dani Merakli said...

I know mythology says the island of Kythira was the birthplace of Aphrodite but did you know my home town of Paphos (on Cyprus) also makes that claim? I enjoyed reading about Monet's garden. Good luck with transforming your own.

Debbie Laing said...

What a wonderful blog. Thank you for the Monet back-story. His garden looks amazing. Also I loved your poem though I'm nit sure I understood all of it. Is that a reference to Venus (Roman name for Aphrodite) in blue jeans at the end? Very clever.

Ben Templeton said...

Another terrific post.

Nicci Haralambous said...

Yes, loved the blog and latest poem. Thank you. 💙

Tif Kellaway said...

Oh my god Steve. Your poem got me wondering if geraniums have aphrodisiac properties. I wasn't really expecting the answer to be yes but it turns out they do! There's a whole range of geranium-based aphrodisiac and essential oils out there for use as anti-depressants, massages, mood-enhancing and just getting jiggy. I thought you might be making the whole thing up! It's a wonderful poem, by the way. ❤️

terry quinn said...

Very interesting round up of Monet and gardens. Learnt a lot from that.

Best of luck with your garden. Maybe you'll get a few rain free days.

Love the title of the poem. There's quite a lot going on in poem I think.

Dermot said...

A great blog and a great poem. Monet's love of his garden and colour in Giverny shines through in this. The image of geraniums in Kythira is brilliant. Good luck with the garden.




Emily Blythe said...

A most enjoyable read and I loved the illustrations and the complex poem.

Jen McDonagh said...

A fascinating insight into Monet, left me wanting to know more. His garden looks sumptuous. Your geranium poem is certainly intriguing.

Myra DeJonge said...

A fabulous read. I love Monet's paintings. That picture of him in his garden is wonderful. I loved your Geranium poem as well (and the photo). I've never heard of Kythira before. I must look it up.

Binty said...

I'd never made the connection between aphrodisiacs and the goddess Aphrodite until now. Alight has gone on (LOL). This was a most enjoyable blog and poem.

Ross Madden said...

A great read. My own garden is a bit of a mess. I only cut the grass for the first time last week on account of so much rain. It was an effort I can tell you. I really enjoyed Geranium-365, read it a few times, such a lot to think about. 👏

Deke Hughes said...

Most enjoyable Steve. Best of luck with transforming your own garden. If you're looking for inspiration I can recommend Vivian Russell's book 'Monet's Garden: Through the Seasons'. I thought your Geranium/Aphrodite poem excellent and I love the Kythira photograph. One of yours I assume.

Noragh Montgomerie said...

Splendid. You write so well.

Bella Jane Barclay said...

What a fascinating post. Do we assume Monet went to bigger canvases because his eyesight was failing? Are you getting one of these hit squads in to do your garden make-over or is it all down to you? Some undertaking, regardless. I love your geranium poem.

Martin Brewster said...

I sat here drinking coffee and reading your blog then took a look out into my garden. It needs a bit of attention, so thanks for the prompt. I agree about geraniums, great for a spot of colour. Mine never seem to last from one year to the next though. I think our winters are too cold and wet.

Caroline Asher said...

I love geraniums. I grow mine in pots so they can be moved into the shed when the winter comes. They remind me of happy holidays in France, Italy, Croatia and of course Greece, a little hint of the Mediterranean in Britain.

The background to Monet, his passion for gardening and painting, was fascinating, but that photograph of Kythira (not exactly sure where it is) stole my heart along with your super poem.

Miriam Fife said...

What a delightful and informative read. The photographs are beautiful too. Your latest poem (clever title) is excellent. I will look at geraniums in a different way from now on.

Germaine Monroe said...

Beautifully crafted. 👏

Rod Downey said...

I agree with what you say about modern gardens, too much decking and paving, not enough greenery and trees. So good for you. I hope the make-over goes well. It's a lovely mythologising poem. I seem to recall you've written one about geraniums before. They must hold a special significance for you.

Helen Maitland said...

What a lovely blog. I didn't know all of that about Monet. I just thought Giverny was somewhere he visited and painted. It's a delightful and clever poem as well. Even the smallest space looks better for a pot or two of fiery geraniums as your delightful photo of Kythira shows.

Boz said...

Genius poetry, la! 👍

Mac Southey said...

Very good. That might shame me into trying to do something more creative with my rather boring back garden. It IS hard work though! As for your poem, tremendous.

Linda Trautmann said...

Very interesting about Monet and his garden. He sounds a lovely man. And your poem, wow, you make geraniums sound sexy.

Kate Eggleston-Wirtz said...

Enjoyed this Steve. Love Monet. First experience was going to the Art Institute of Chicago’s Paintings by Claude Monet exhibition in 1975. My dad took me out of school for the day and we went for a day out. Pivotal really as he must of been very perceptive in my interest in art. Enjoyed the poem - vivid imagery :)

voss said...

loved the monet/gardening piece and those fab photos and the clever poem - you make aphrodite sound like an atomic kitten!

Steve Rowland said...

Yes Rod, I have written another poem titled 'Neon Geranium'. It's in my blog 'Aphids & Aphorisms' and is linked here: https://deadgoodpoets.blogspot.com/2016/08/aphids-aphorisms.html
It's also in my new poetry collection, unlike 'Geranium-365' which will have to wait until the follow-up ;-)

Tony Sedgwick said...

Fabulous. An uplifting read. Loved Geranium-365. 👏

Kyra Maragopoulou said...

Great writing. I love your poem. My grandparents live at Kythira. ❤️

CI66Y said...

Sobering, the thought that we are in our eighth decade. Thanks for that, Steve (lol)! Still, onwards and upwards, as you used to say. Another excellent blog and poem. Looking forward to your book. Enjoy the late flowering.

Annie Walthorn said...

I loved this post and poem Steve! Provoked many personal memories regarding my Mum. She was a wonderful gardener and especially loved and cultivated Roses. She loved Geraniums in terracotta pots too.

Annie Walthorn said...

A few weeks ago we stayed in South Wales....glorious place despite the weather. Trish photographed The Lily pond at Bosherston unfortunately the heavens opened and the lily pads didn't! My daughter told us to visit for when she did a while back all the lily pads were in bloom and she said it was like stepping into a Monet painting! x

margaret Brett said...

yes the passion for all things beautiful are evident nature has so much to offer and inspire. I was in Birkenhead park with the Wirral poets on Sunday very nice

Cynthia said...

Saw the Lily pond paintings in Paris and the misty effect his eyesight probs caused enhanced his work. A truly marvellous artist. Good blog Steve.

Gemma Gray said...

A really lovely read about Monet. And I've always liked the Mediterranean custom of recycling large tins as flower pots.

Peter Fountain said...

That's a top blog and a dazzling poem.

Harry Lennon said...

The thing about a beautiful garden is that it's never just 'still life'. It's constantly growing and needs constant hard work to keep it beautiful. That means patience and time, in short supply in many people's busy lives these days. So good for you for committing to a greener garden. May your olive trees and geraniums thrive. I really enjoyed the poem, such an audacious concept.

Jacq Slater said...

A wonderful read Steve. I really enjoyed the blog, the photos and the delightful poem. Good luck with your BGP.

Zoe Nikolopoulou said...

I was blown away by this. Absolutely love the poem. ❤️🩷💙

Steve Rowland said...

Deke, thanks for the recommendation. Vivian Russell's book 'Monet's Garden' arrived today and it is fabulous.

Stella Patterson said...

I don't have a garden as I love in an apartment but I do love watching gardening programmes on TV, anything from Monty Don to those makeover shows. And I have houseplants - spider plants, Swiss cheese, begonias, various cacti. Maybe I'll give geraniums a go, though I've always been a bit put off by the smell of their leaves (a bit like cats).I loved the poem though. You are to be congratulated.

Tim Devonshire said...

An excellent read. I think it's a great poem. Why change a thing?

Jon Cromwell said...

Inspired writing. Almost makes me want to go to France - or Greece - but maybe a local National Trust garden at the week-end will do. It's a splendid poem, bursting with ideas and imagery.👏

Will Griffin said...

A most enjoyable read. My respect for Monet has gone up several notches. And I love your Aphrodite/Geraniums poem. Very well done.

Amber Molloy said...

Fabulous! ❤️

Edward Oakley said...

A lovely blog. I didn't know any of that about Monet. I just know he painted waterlilies! I really like your poem. Is it in the book? The sun has really brought my geraniums on this week. They look glorious. Happy days.

Tom Shaw said...

Praise the life force. What a fab read. Thanks for sharing.

Marianne Gevers said...

What a great read. I love that quote about Monet's garden being his masterpiece. Also your splendid Geranium poem. And the sun is shining. A lovely way to begin the day.

Sahra Carezel said...

Great writing, lovely photos, engaging poetry. 🩷

Mark II Ford said...

Splendid stuff. More than once I've said of your poems 'I wish I could have written that'. Geranium-365 is one of those.

Anonymous said...

Nothing grander than the sight of some bright red geraniums on a sunny day. 👍

Anonymous said...

HM Laxmiben Hirani. Just Beautiful Steve!

Caroline Murphy said...

Thanks I loved reading this and your poem was wonderful. x

Dan Francisco said...

Mindblown! 😉

Stu Hodges said...

One of your best that. The geranium poem is terrific.