written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 5 June 2021

Wanderlust

Coronavirus has acted like a wanderlust inhibitor for millions of us for fifteen months already; and I suspect its brake-effect will go on being felt for many more weeks to come, regardless of impending announcements. Even the most resolutely stay-at-home individuals have been sorely tried by the impositions of lockdown, so the toll on habitual gadabouts must have been nigh-on intolerable.

While many governments still struggle to get the pandemic under control, as countries and regions within countries move back and forth between red, amber and green ratings, and when even young back-packers are suspected of spreading coronavirus variants across borders, it's hard to envisage international leisure travel picking up this year. The Portugal fiasco is a warning.

Personally, I'm missing not only summers in Greece but trips to visit family and friends, week-end breaks, even something as mundane as going to football matches in various parts of England on a Saturday. We await a late June statement about easing of domestic lockdown with varying degrees of anticipation mixed with scepticism.

I'm hoping that, as far as league football is concerned, it is all going to change for the better at the start of the new season. Last Sunday's trip to Wembley to watch Blackpool's triumphant return to the Championship has whetted the appetite again. (By the way, what a fantastic day it was in every respect: just getting out of town for the first time in an age, the weather turning hot and sunny, the team excelling on the pitch, the supporters providing such a passionate atmosphere inside the national stadium. If anything, it was possibly even more enjoyable than the win that took us to the Premier League.) By August, I hope we'll be able to follow the Seasiders to Birmingham, Bournemouth, Derby, Huddersfield, London (Fulham/QPR), Middlesbrough, Nottingham, Sheffield and South Wales (Cardiff/Swansea) for the first time in five years. But enough of the football for now, as I know it's not a subject close to everyone's heart.

Many great writers have given us a wealth of literature on the theme of wanderlust, which my dictionary defines as a strong urge to travel and explore (rooted in the German words for a desire to go hiking). It first came to prominence in the early 20th century and the derivation is appropriate given its thematic template derives from 19th century German Romanticism.

My favourite writer on theme is Hermann Hesse, whose novels, poetry and journals frequently focussed as much on the psychological and spiritual dimensions of wanderlust as on the topographical. The wanderer, a searcher after not just experience and harmony with nature but deeper truths about the human condition and enlightenment as to the meaning or purpose of life, features in many of his greatest works (Demian, Journey To The East, Siddhartha, Steppenwolf, Narziss and Goldmund).

What typifies the wanderer is a wild restlessness, a rejection of the safe and the staid, an inability or unwillingness to settle for the easy or mundane option, a need to be constantly seeking new experiences, new locales. Such an attitude to life comes at a price; it can be a rootless and lonesome (though not necessarily lonely) existence. A life dedicated to wanderlust is only for the bravest souls. 

I'm offering you two poems this week. The first (in translation from the German) is by Hermann Hesse.


Wild Heart Of Mine
Even the hottest, toughest days
end in the evening, cool and calm
and quiet, gentle mother night
embraces every one of them.

You must find solace too, my heart,
although you feel inflamed with passion.
The night is near, the caring mother,
to hold you in her tender arms.

With hidden hands she builds
an invisible shrine, a sanctuary of repose
for you, the restless wanderer.
In her temple you will finally find peace.

Wild heart of mine, remember this.
And love each feverish passion
and the bitterness of pain, love too
before you have to enter your eternal rest.

Even the hottest, toughest days
end in the evening, cool and calm
and quiet, gentle mother night
embraces every one of them.

                                        Hermann Hesse  (1908 trans. by Ludwig Max Fischer)

The second is my own latest from the imaginarium. It's an old brown shoe poem (no relation to the Beatles' song of the same name), an out-of-sequence suttee for footwear. I didn't start out to write yet another narrative piece. How does that happen? What you read may not be its final form as it feels a little incomplete. Thoughts?


Old Brown Shoe
That shoe he threw had trod continents,
spoke a cultured brogue, more than once
had stood toe to toe with rulers of men,
mounted barricades when new, climbed
steep hill trails in both dew and dust,
had even rested under a princess's bed.

It had felt many a skilful hand wax and
shine its supple uppers or mend its sole
in times of wear, but it had only known
one right foot companion in wanderlust
until a wicked war and world-weariness
corralled them, faceless laceless tramps.

That shoe he threw, token of his disgust
at how the teachings of a Sage could be
so mangled out of true in this rabid age,
flew in a leather hail designed to shame
the leader who merely directed his aides
to round the footwear up and burn it all.

What of worth was left now, out of step
the half shod after such lamentable loss?

Thanks for reading. Keep happy feet, S ;-)

47 comments:

Heidi Williams said...

Wanderlust inhibitor - what a great phrase to describe covid. 👍

Laxmiben Hirani said...

Touching and meaningful, considering the impact of Coronavirus rampant everywhere. What one can do is wrap in the calm arms of a mother, which is mother earth. Those old brown shoes speak a thousands words, we take shoes for granted while others have none. Very touching and heart and mind provoking; you can fall into every word written Steve! As always your writing and poems take me to another place.

Tony Sedgwick said...

Fine blogging Steve. Agreed that 'wanderlust inhibitor' is a neat phrase. I enjoyed both poems, but I'm going to declare my bias and give you the edge over HH (not that it's a competition). 😃

Nigella D said...

I've not read any Hesse. Tips on where to start? His poem is lovely and what an atmospheric picture to go with it. Your Old Brown Shoe poem is evocative and sad :(

Binty said...

..."spoke a cultured brogue" - love that, and the whole shoe poem. 👍

Reba Kirkwood said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the lock down, especially the first one. It was lovely, no people.

Harry Lennon said...

I thought your Old Brown Shoe poem was really well constructed and very moving. It didn't strike me as incomplete.

Jeanie Buckingham said...

Steve, thanks to you I did know, though not a mention as far as I am aware on BBC News. Congratulations and well done Blackpool.

Mac Southey said...

I read Siddhartha and Journey to the East when I was in my twenties. They made me realise that the inner voyage is more important than the outer one. What does the song say? "Arrive without travelling" (or something like that). I feel for the protagonist in your poem, and his shoe - not a nice predicament to end up in. Life is shit sometimes.

Bella Jane Barclay said...

Interesting as ever. I've definitely lost my list to wander in the last year and I don't know I'll ever want to go abroad again. I enjoyed both the poems. I understand that throwing the shoe is an insult. Is it a purely Islamic thing?

Debbie Laing said...

It's funny. I expected to want to jet off somewhere (anywhere) as soon as it became permissible to do so but as the months have gone on, I've lost that urge. I feel I could almost tear my passport up and never bother again. Is that a common reaction, I wonder? I liked the Hesse poem and loved yours. What feels incomplete about it?

Rod Downey said...

Thanks for this brief history of wanderlust. Once the various strains of the pandemic are proven to be properly under control, I'll happily go a-wandering again (and hope my carbon footprint is a negligible one). It was interesting to have two such different poetic takes on the theme. 👍

Jen McDonagh said...

Good blog Steve. I enjoyed the extended metaphor and salving sentiment of Hesse's poem and have generally found mother night a boon, except when I have a fit of over-active fretting! Your own poem by contrast powerfully disconcerting.

Steve Rowland said...

Shoe throwing is not specifically Islamic. It's an ancient Middle-Eastern form of insult (mentioned in the Old Testament of the Bible), symbolizing throwing dirt (literally the soil on the sole) at the object of one's anger. Nowadays it happens all round the world.

Saskia Parker said...

I love your Old Brown Shoe poem just as it is. It's poignant and beautifully expressed. ❤️

CI66Y said...

...but not Norwich next season :) Good blog Steve. I don't see overseas hols returning this year either. Good poems. Enjoy the Euros.

Rochelle said...

Goodness, with reference to an earlier comment, my passport expires this year. I can't see me renewing it. I loved the poems, each moving in their different ways. Thanks for sharing.

Writer21 said...

Thank you. This was wonderful to read.

Billy Banter said...

Four more weeks of lockdown on the cards. There goes summer - lust on hold! I think I'll aestivate! 😂

Deke Hughes said...

I really enjoyed your Old Brown Shoe, Steve, a very powerful poem with some great lines. What feels incomplete? The fact that it ends with a couplet?

Romy Lowenthal said...

I think Hesse was always searching for the way back home. His wanderlust was a desire to return to the beginning. His poetry is even more beautiful in German.

Kevin Sterling said...

That must have been a tough assignment, writing about wanderlust in an academic way like it's forbidden fruit. Covid the Inhibitor is an apt personification! I enjoyed the metaphorical constructs of both poems, each commendable it its own way. Hesse's to me signals acceptance (with a romantic/sentimental world view); yours suggests resignation (with an anti-romantic/sardonic world view).

Steve Rowland said...

There are two elements of the poem I'm not 100% happy with: one is the use of 'He' in the third verse, referring to a different person than the he used elsewhere but potentially ambiguous and confusing; the other is a doubt about whether the final couplet works or not.

Jools said...

who for he? It's a clever and evocative poem ;)

Steve Rowland said...

Done Jools.

Seb Politov said...

Well I really like the old shoe poem. Narrative it may be, but such economy of story-telling and such a powerful message. Well done.

Peter Fountain said...

Thanks Steve. You write with such poise and your shoe poem is beautifully done. Also congratulations on Blackpool's triumph. Happy wanderings next season :)

Jacky Woods said...

I loved your wanderlust poem. It's one I can identify with.

Jerry Miller said...

This 'habitual gadabout' has had to learn 'idling' techniques, as I'm sure most of us have. I've watched more films, I've read more books and I've walked the same local walks hundreds of times...but as soon as we're clear for take-off (whenever that is) I'll be off (LOL).

Stu Hodges said...

We've got so used to not wandering far afield in the last 18 months, it's like it was a century ago. Good for air quality too, I'm guessing. I thought Old Brown Shoe was really well done. I love the lyrical quality of your poetry and the language that you bring to it; the use of right and left was especially clever I thought.

Nicole Barkhuizen said...

Such beautiful and poignant poems.

Laxmiben Hirani said...

Your poems are just Wanderlust! Our Brown Shoes will get worn out, but we must repair them if we can or get new ones and carry on. I enjoyed the poems very much as always, done with firepower the passion of the night sky wrapping us like a mother. Have a blessed weekend and please the entire family stay safe, stay well and God bless you all where ever you all are.🙏💕🙏👌🌛

Cynthia said...

Sorry, I have only just read this, but looking at your couplet perhaps just move it around:-
"What of worth was left, the half shod
now out of step after such lamentable loss".

Really liked the poem and the incidents around it.

Martin Brewster said...

Wanderlust seems to me to be the preserve of the young (no ties, eager for experience and to explore the world) and the old (retired, time and money no object). I'm still inbetween - family and work demands (rightly) all my energies. I thought your poem, in particular, was poignant and subtly powerful.

Howie Schroeder said...

Great blog, Steve. I couldn't help but think of that Joni Mitchell line about sleeping on the strange pillows of wanderlust (Hejira, if you know it). I, too, was a big fan of Hesse in my younger days. Your shoe poem is brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Your poem is beautifully poised.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Nice one Steve. I really enjoyed the poems.

Bruce Paley said...

I've no plans to go anywhere soon. I'm looking at next year now. I've never read anything by Hesse either, so thanks for the recommendation. I thought your poem was well-made, both powerful and poignant.

Lesley Harrison said...

Your Old Brown Shoe has real soul - a lovely poem.

Kenny Garcia said...

I'm conflicted by the issue of travel right now. If you look at the way the Delta variant has created a third covid wave in the UK all because the Tory government refused or delayed imposing flight restrictions and quarantine rules on flights from the sub-continent, I think stay at home everyone until it has dies out. However, whole industries are likely to go bust as a result of continued restrictions. It's a toughie.

The Hesse poetry is a bit new-agey for my liking but I thought your shoe poem was beautifully crafted, pointed, wistful and too sadly true for so many displaced citizens of the Middle East.

Ross Madden said...

Love the Old Brown Shoe poem, Steve. Metaphor for a life. 👏

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your rendition of your shoe poem at the Wigan poetry zoom the other night, meant to comment at the time. Very good. I love your use of words.

Denzel said...

Brilliant blogging. I love your Old Brown Shoe poem.👍

Lisbeth Tex said...

Terrific poetry.

Barry Hockaday said...

Beautifully written and thought-provoking. What an evocative piece Old Brown Shoe is.

Hector Mykles said...

"suttee for footwear" made me smile. Even though we've moved on in terms of Covid restrictions, I'm not sure we will ever wander as freely as we once did. A fascinating blog and two lovely poems.

Anonymous said...

🤎