written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Friday 19 October 2018

Loneliness



   You must excuse the lateness of my contribution today, for you see I've spent all day with a friend and I have been her friend. Having a friend, a pal, a buddy goes some way to combating loneliness.
 
   There is a difference between being alone and being lonely. The first is a physical state , the latter a mental state. I don't mind being alone. Perhaps it's because I was an only child and have always been alone. Content to keep myself amused. Finding ways to occupy my time. Loneliness on the other hand is draining, isolating, causing anxiety and stress. Very often this is more difficult to overcome.

   We seem to live in a world where isolation of the mind and spirit seem to be the norm. We have become insular - to the detriment of our mental welfare. Fleetwood as a town is trying to combat the mental anguish that loneliness brings in a ' Healthy Fleetwood ' campaign . Now it seems that this initiative is to be rolled out in other places. GP's are asked to prescribe dancing, singing and other community activities in order to steer people away from taking drugs. Why do we need lessons in communicating and socializing ? What is it that is causing an epidemic of depression and isolation ? I don't think I have the answer only a few ideas to put forward.

   The modern world with it's emphasis on technology seems to have negated the need to socialize person to person. The art of conversation , the joy to be found in talking , debating , discussing, laughing together is sadly diminished. Families are wide flung throughout the country or even the world , and although they may 'Skype'  , they are missing out on storytelling, of days out together, of grandparents relating to their grandchildren.

   I wonder too if there is something lacking in education. Is there too much emphasis on personal achievement and not enough on joining in group activities ?

   I'm afraid I don't really know the cause or indeed the cure.  Just ramblings now after a long day of keeping company .

   So if you can smile, say hello, pass the time of day with another person ( I try and do this is I see someone alone ) then you may brighten their day, their week, or even longer.

   Having said all this I occasionally succumb to bouts of loneliness which I put down as self pity. Generally I have a weep. Give myself a good talking too. Pull my socks up. Remind myself how lucky I am. ( now how come I am typing italics ? ) Ah ! Technology again....

                            DAYS LIKE THIS

     Nobody told me there'd be days like this.
     Days of loneliness and sorrow.
     Nobody warned me that I'd have days like this,
     When I'd long for a better tomorrow.

     No one versed me in these feelings-
     These days of being alone again,
     No one prepared me for these 'down' days,
     When glorious sunshine seems like rain.

     Not one person offered this advice,
     That sometimes I'd feel so low.
     No. no one mentioned the possibilities
     That these feelings could be so.

     Now I offer this advice to one and all -
     Be prepared to feel alone,
     Some days might be full of sorrow.
     But tomorrow the fears will have flown.

        Thanks for reading my late evening ramble, Kath

2 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Of course you are excused, Kath. No apology required, it's good to have your presence on the Friday blog. I absolutely agree with you about the distinction between being alone and being lonely. This made very poignant reading. Thank you.

Hodan said...

This is beautiful writing Kath, thank you for your honesty.