written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Friday 22 February 2019

What a night that was! 1968...

Now I have a poem that I wrote, possibly, in 1968,  after attending a competition to choose a top pop group. This event took place over 3 or 4 Saturday evenings at Aberdeen Beach Ballroom. I think I attended each one, and therefore required a new outfit for each event.

My choice at this period of time was an A-line mini  dress. I certainly remember two of those outfits.
One I made in a linen look cotton. It had bell sleeves. The fabric was psychedelic...huge flowers of various hues, in yellow, orange , pink and green. Under the lights of the ballroom some of the flowers completely changed colour and almost "glowed". Another dress I recall was made from a shiny bronze coloured fabric dotted with subtle flowers, but the reverse was brushed giving it a warm feel.

We danced from 8pm till gone 2 in the morning, then collecting our coats from the cloakroom, in a happy group we walked the six miles home to the suburbs.

Happy days...and still remembered...



The pattern above was found in a charity shop in 2014 and I've used it frequently.

THOUGHTS AT THE PALACE BALLROOM - 19/09/1968

Silhouetted figures on the background of blue moved 
to and fro with the rhythm from the group.
I felt myself slowly slipping 
into a trance and everything
moved with a frenzy of feelings 
and emotions.
Then I finally went under into
the swirl of rhythmic bodies.
Music pulsating to my brain.

Gardens where flowers bloomed
were all around me.
I plucked a rose from a tender bough,
And breathed in its sweet perfume.
Then I took a daisy from among
the deep, green grass.
And pulling out its petals, I cried..
" He loves me-- He loves me not,
  He loves me--He loves me not,
He loves me--He loves me !
HE LOVES ME !

Silhouetted figures on the background of blue wavered
to and fro with the rhythm 
of the group.
Hands reached out to help me to my feet ,
But I laughed and sang out above the music --
" He loves me !
                   He loves me !" 

Thanks for reading, Kath.

2 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Very good Kath. One might say you took a Trip of sorts ;-)

The Existentialist said...

Good poem - captures being in the moment.