written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 10 September 2020

Growing Pains

I’m 21, so I’m an adult, but a young adult. I’m not one of those youngsters who think they know everything. I am aware I have a lot to learn! Adulting is hard. Terrifying even, But I’m so excited to move out within the next year or so... I do not want to be a 30 year old still living at home (sorry to all those 30 year olds still living at home!). I love my parents I really do but I think when you get to my age you yearn for freedom.

To be eating what you want when you want. God help me because I cannot cook! My dad actually has a section of his Facebook account dedicated to my food disasters. To late nights and being able to drink a glass of Bailey’s without your mum asking why are you drinking that? Or to go out the door without your mum questioning your outfit choices ‘Hellie I really don’t think that zebra print and cowboy boots go together’.

The last few months I have been spent A LOT of time with my parents. But we made it through, it was a pain at time family will always be there. Family loves you even when you are a pain (which I am)! So here’s to growing pains! May I grow old disgracefully and wear zebra print to my heart's content.



Now here’s a poem by me! Go hug someone you love... yes your cat counts!

Forgotten
 
I watched the blossoms float on the tree outside my front door.
Like gorgeous space ships.
This is where I live.
In the present.
I had forgotten how beautiful it was.
The mystery,
The drama,
How basic our needs are when we look past the superficial.
I had forgotten how strong I am.
I watch the wind rustle the long grass that sits by the sea.
I had forgotten that we dont need to be seen to be free.
Forget-me-nots are brave are they not?
For they grow every year
in to the unknown
And now it is your turn.
To remember what you had forgotten.
And grow.
 
Helena x

2 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Speaking as a parent, the best gift I felt I was able to give my daughters was the confidence to step out into the world on their own and grow into their separate lives. Touch wood, it seems to be working. It's a natural transition and I'm sure you'll do the same with some panache (my word of the week) and zebra prints now it's your turn. I liked the freshness and positivity of your poem. Good blog Helena :-)

Adele said...

Lovely blog and a super emotional poem. Lovely to hear you unique voice Helena. xxx