written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 27 November 2021

Marmalade

Another Saturday, another blog (and by the way, belatedly, happy Lancashire Day). Went to Birmingham, saw lots of snow, got freezing cold, watched a football match in which the Tangerines should have made marmalade of poor opposition but our finishing was off, we were denied a clear penalty and the home side bundled in a late winner. "So it goes", as Kurt Vonnegut remarked. 

making marmalade
Upon the final whistle we got held behind by West Midland Constabulary for  twenty minutes to allow the Birmingham fans to wander off into their second city night. After that it was a long, hungry ride home. Paddington Bear might have added "A wise bear always keeps a marmalade sandwich in his hat in case of emergency." I wish I had paid more attention to the hirsute little Peruvian.

And that tart reportage is about all you're going to get this week on topic, apart from a new poem partly, but only fleetingly, inspired by a Beatles song - you know which one ("Picture yourself on a boat on a river etc etc").

girl with the marmalade eyes
Bear in mind that this was the product of a late night scribbling session, another work-in-progress, and on reflection (if I ever get the time) subject to change to improve it.

Marmalade Eyes
Blue eyes sparkle like twinkling stars
sapphire bright irises, light and cheerful

Green eyes smile like welcoming pools
cool emerald isle lakes, dive in and swim

Grey eyes shine with wisdom and grace
the generous glow of worldly understanding

Brown eyes smoulder with subtle passion
chocolate to the depths with alluring flecks

but
Marmalade eyes are glaucous and slarkey
both sweet to behold but sticky like amber
so beware: return their deceptive glaze with 
care or end up ensnared in some terrible jam 

Thanks for reading, S ;-)

26 comments:

CI66Y said...

Sorry you had a cold and fruitless (no pun intended) day out yesterday. I watched highlights and thought you were unlucky. We couldn't score either but at least we're not bottom of the Premier League anymore (at the moment). I seem to remember the term "I'll marmalise you" from times gone by. Was it the Goons?

Matt West said...

Short and not so sweet, eh pal? We was robbed for sure.

Nigella D said...

Ha ha. The girl with marmalade eyes - that your ex?

Peter Fountain said...

Do people still eat marmalade? It's so 20th century and boiled eggs and newspapers at the breakfast table. Your poem was interesting. The eyes have it.

Mac Southey said...

Poor Steve. That blog reads like your heart wasn't quite in it after your Birmingham excursion. Nevertheless, well done for stepping up.

Hazel Williams said...

No mention for hazel eyes ;-(

Boz said...

Slarkey? Interesting. Not in any dictionary as far as I can see. And marmalise (commenting on a comment) is Scouse. It was a Ken Dodd word.

Rod Downey said...

I was expecting to read about Marmalade Records or Marmalade Cats so this was a surprise. Sorry for your loss (x 2)! Interesting use of colour in your poem.

terry quinn said...

Well at least you're still ahead of Blues in the league.
Holding the fans back after the game is pathetic.

is it the coach company policy not to stop at service stations now?

That is a very clever poem. Congrats.

Keep Right On

Ross Madden said...

My folks used to eat marmalade. Robinsons if I remember correctly. I used to collect those lovely enamel golly pin badges (footballer, guitarist etc). Interesting poem too Steve. 👏

Bickerstaffe said...

I haven't been on a Blackpool away day since Wembley in 2012 when we lost to West Ham. One day, when Covid is a thing of the past... I enjoyed your colourful poem.

Yvonne Russell said...

I used to help my mother make marmalade in a big 'copper' like the one in your photograph. I wondered why she did it, because we never ate marmalade in our house. She either gave it away or donated it to the RNLI fund-raising stall at the village show. The girl with marmalade eyes sounds like a handful! What does 'slarkey' mean?

Ben Templeton said...

My team is Fulham. We're making marmalade of the Championship so far this season but credit to Blackpool for taking 3 points off us back in September. What a great line "Marmalade eyes are glaucous and slarkey". I've no idea what it means but it works for the sense it conveys! A neat touch to colour code the verses too.

Tyger Barnett said...

Entertaining as usual Steve. "Hirsute little Peruvian" made me chortle. I only ever eat marmalade on holiday - seems to be part of a tradition. I'm intrigued as to what prompted the poem. Someone else asked if the girl with marmalade eyes is an ex... I think we should be told (in best Private Eye mode).😃

Des Storwood said...

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. I remember a girl with kaleidoscope eyes (and marmalade skies?), so this was an interesting twist. Clever use of colour.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Tart indeed. Someone's got your goat!

Billy Banter said...

Sticky situations!

Seb Politov said...

Interesting slant on marmalade. My children used to read books about a girl called Marmalade Atkins. Do you know them? The photo of the woman is well done. Out of interest is that the ex (as others have suggested)? And is the marmalade verse in your poem about her?

Dan Francisco said...

Sounds like girlfriend trouble. This reminded me of Kantner's Girl With The Hungry Eyes.

Jambo said...

Pectin?

Oksana Viskovsky said...

The photograph (your wife?) remind me of my daughter. I enjoy the colorful poem but what is slarkey? I don't know this word.

Steve Rowland said...

Slarkey: best explained in Venn Diagram terms as the place where flirtatious, salacious and predatory intersect. Beyond that, on the subject of who or what inspired Marmalade Eyes, I have nothing to say more than I did in the poem ;-)

Brad Gekowski said...

That girl with marmalade eyes looks like a bundle of fun :)

Bella Jane Barclay said...

I couldn't comment on the football content but good for you getting in a mention of marmalade sandwiches. I loved the photographs and the colourful poetry - bittersweet just like the confection.

Anonymous said...

Mr R, methinks the poem may be 'tart reportage' as well?

Gareth Boyd Haskins said...

Miss Marmalade Eyes looks like a lot of fun. I enjoyed your poem and its use of color.