written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 9 June 2022

Four legs good - Come on Pearl

I am getting very excited! For some weeks now I have been following the adventures of a four-legged friend. Pearl is a beautiful rescue donkey who  has been restored to health from the sad, emaciated creature who was found in a kill pen some months ago. Her story seems unremarkable - many donkeys are rescued and given sanctuary every year. Pearl is very special though because she is in fact an eight-legged donkey.  Her extented belly reveals that Pearl is pregnant. 

Her Facebook feed chronicles her daily exploits and although the usual incubation period for a donkey is around 11 months, it is likely that her poor physical state during the first few months of her gestation may extend that to up to 14 months.  I watch her progress each day, keenly awaiting the arrival of her foal. I wonder what her baby's name will be.  Pearl is a pale grey donkey with darker patches on her back. If you would like to follow her progress just go to facebook/ Peace for Ponies. 

I love horses too, especially the racehorse variety - glorious Arab thoroughbreds. I was lucky enough to attend the Cheltenham Festival in the 1980s on Gold Cup Day as a guest of Bass Leisure. I was cautious, placing only small, eachway bets on the first few races but won on most of them.  Towards the end of the day, we walked to the paddock to watch the parade for the final event. Suddenly a beautiful horse broke ranks and walked staight towards me. It pushed its nose directly into my face. I noted the number on its blanket and went all in, putting all my days winnings on the nose.  With Jonjoe O'Neil on board, it romped home and I had a really great win. 

Several years ago. I took my children to a travellng show called Spirit of the Horse. It was a wonderful display of dancing horses.

Equilibrium

Chestnut and cream,
linear, lean,
you canter around the sand filled ring,
in harmonious step.
Legs beat in unison
As energy ripples from neck to tail
you flick and show delightful control.

Soft flowing mane sweeps as you
turn natural, switch reverse
then rearing on muscular haunches
to walk as a ballerina,
so balanced, so poised.
Perfection in motion, keeping rhythm and time
unbridled power and gentle music meld.

Later when I venture close.
you bow your head to nuzzle nose to mine
to meet my eyes with deep intelligence.
I feel the reins on my spirit release
and in that fleeting moment
it too runs free.

Thanks for reading. Adele

12 comments:

Lois Hayburn said...

She's not had her baby yet.

Kendra said...

Shared!!!!!

Sue said...

We are all waiting on Pearl..💕

Marcia Morse said...

Love Pearl. Watching all the time!
Peace for Ponies is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Four legged babies are the best!

Isabel Head said...

Kendra Bond is an amazing lady
I love following Peace for Ponies.

Steve Rowland said...

I just checked into your donkey-watch site - no sign of a leggy foal yet. I liked particularly the closing lines of your Equilibrium poem.

Lesley Harrison said...

Extented? That's very good.

Daphne Jolliffe said...

A pregnant donkey with a FB page? The world is crazy and a little wonderful.

terry quinn said...

Congrats on the win in the 80s. The story reminded me of days like the Boxing Day races and we would sit down as a family and my uncle and my dad would bet on the winners and get most upset if ( and when ) my mom would get the winner because she liked the name.

Dancing horses? Whatever next.

Send my best wishes to Pearl.

Good poem and an excellent last three lines.

Jen McDonagh said...

You had me logging on to Facebook there. No foal for Pearl yet, it seems.

Binty said...

Come on Pearl!