written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 18 February 2023

Soap

In the beginning (or at least very soon after it), all was dirt, sweat and ponginess. Yeugh! 

Fast-forward through aeons of infrequent and ineffective bathing and eventually along came  soap  - from Mesopotamia in approx. 2800BC, followed by opera - Italy 1600 AD, and finally soap operas - USA 1930. 

I have no great interest in opera (sincere apologies for that), and even less in soap operas (no apologies there - though I did enjoy Coronation Street in its early, grainy and gritty years). And by the way, if you were hoping to read about Simple Object Access Protocol (an XMS-based information exchange mechanism allowing the distributed elements of an application to communicate), then I'm sorry, you've landed on the wrong blog.

So having come clean about all that, let's get stuck into soap. What is it exactly? Technically, it's a salt of a fatty acid (I know, that doesn't sound very promising), a mixture of fat and oil combined with a base. Together they make a surfactant that when mixed with water during washing or bathing produces a lather that has the effects of solubilising (i.e. making soluble in water) those particles of grease, grime or sweat that were adhering to skin or articles of clothing, of killing micro-organisms and of emulsifying any oils, thus detaching them to be washed away in the water, leaving skin or clothing clean and pleasant smelling.

The earliest soaps, from the Middle East, were made from a mixture of oil (usually cypress or olive oil) plus potash and an aromatic herb (such as lavender or yarrow) for fragrance. The mixture would be poured into a mould and left to cool and harden for a couple of weeks before being cut into small cakes or tablets. An industry was born, and those who could afford it became less pongy. Thank goodness for that.

The basics haven't changed much in nearly 5,000 years, although the ingredients and the processes (along with the marketing) have become more refined. I'm supposing that, being creatures of choice and habit, we all have our favourite soaps: Camay, Dial, Dove, Fanny (Savon de Marseille, I kid you not), Imperial Leather, Knight's Castile, Lifebuoy, Lux, Palmolive, Roger & Gallet, Wright's Coal Tar or what you will. Mine is Pears.


It was developed by Andrew Pears at the beginning of the 19th century as a gentler alternative to the somewhat harsh soaps that were in general use. It was based on glycerine and other natural products, and as if to emphasise its purity, it was the first transparent soap. It was also manufactured in oval bars. Both novelties proved a distinct marketing advantage. Although it was branded 'unscented', apparently it did have the "pleasing aroma of an English country garden" (not that I'd describe its contemporary aroma that way). First produced and sold in London by A & F Pears in 1807, its purity appealed to the bathing classes, especially when endorsed by such luminaries as actress Lillie Langtry, and it regularly won awards from the Great Exhibition of 1851 onwards.

Pears soap continued to be manufactured at Isleworth in west London even after Port Sunlight based Lever Brothers took control of the company in the 1920s, and only when that London factory was destroyed by fire in the 1960s did production transfer north to Unilever's Port Sunlight facility. I first started using it shortly after that, upon leaving behind the parental home with its Camay or Imperial Leather. It's been my soap of choice ever since.

There was an attempt to phase it out after the millennium, but the backlash from consumers was such that Unilever reprieved the brand. I can remember stocks running low and stories about people scouring out-of-the way supermarkets and chemists' shops to get their hands on their favourite soap. Nowadays Pears soap is manufactured entirely in India, by Hindustan Unilever in Mumbai, and is exported all over the world.

As it states on the box: "Pears, a soap with over 200 years of heritage, is prepared with a unique process of moulding & then matured until it reaches pure transparency. Each bar is still made with natural oils and filtered for purity. It is then finished by hand & checked by eye. So what you get in the end is a beautiful pure & gentle soap." Long may that continue to be the case.


I wasn't sure I'd write a new poem for this week's blog but in the end I've come up with the following (which may get improved upon in due course), a sly and affectionate recollection of many dutiful endeavours to 'Save Water...' By the way, the button is courtesy of the delightfully-named Busy Beaver Button Museum. 



Shower With A Friend
Is this the kind of intimacy the authorities had in mind
when they exhorted us during the great drought of  '76 
to save water by bathing with a friend? I don't do baths

as they're so wasteful in the first place, but will happily
share the space with my graceful lady, love that sliding
soapy caress of torsos and limbs, a glycerine-enhanced

hands-on appreciation of the sculptural beauty of  form
and almost a sacred rite, but a sensual caring one filled
with bubbles of laughter and lather as we slide beneath

the cascade.  And when we emerge clean and gleaming
while the last suds drain away it feels like we're reborn,
so thank you Water Board, Pears' soap and Multi-spray.


Thanks for reading, S ;-)

45 comments:

Lisa Roberts said...

That was a trip down memory lane. Ours was a Palmolive household, in kitchen and bathroom. No messing. Nowadays I use Dove. I enjoyed your poem.

Anonymous said...

Great insight to the true meaning of ‘soap’ not tv trash. Thank you Steve

William McKechnie said...

I love the smell of Pears soap.

Rick V. said...

Thank you Steve for a very interesting topic together with some great memory prompts.

Zoe Nikolopoulou said...

Important to remember that soap is also medicinal. Cleanliness saves lives, one reason why there are not so many plagues today, (I know, Covid). It is a lovely poem as well as being amusing.

Jill Reidy said...

Love the poem ❤️ x

Binty said...

Great blog. I've learned new words (LOL) and your poem had me all in a lather.

Stu Hodges said...

Great opening sentence. Could it be that soap is one of the best inventions ever? And your sensual Shower... poem, I just love it.

Miriam Fife said...

"...a salt of a fatty acid" indeed, though if you read the ingredients list of any soap nowadays it's all scientific names: benzyl salicylate, propylene glycol, sorbitol, sodium lauryl sulfate and so on. This was fun and I enjoyed your latest poem.

Mac Southey said...

Good publicity for the humble bar of soap, really nicely written. It made me think... did Surf get its name from 'surfactant' (clever if so) or in response to America's Tide brand? Well done with the shower poem.

Bella Jane Barclay said...

We take so much for granted - water, soap, hygiene - just imagining now what it's like for those thousands in Turkey and Syria without those basics.

Valerie Marchant said...

I'm going to try Pears. Apparently it comes in different colours as well now. When I was growing up it was a choice of Palmolive (green bars) or some oatmeal soap with bits in. I've never showered with a friend to save water...
loved the poem though. 😃

Jeanie Buckingham said...

Showering with a friend...made all the more entertaining with transparent soap...

Della Burgess said...

What is Multi-spray? (Asking for a friend.) 😏

Alistair Bradfield said...

Most entertaining. I seem to remember we were brought up on Lifebuoy soap. Nowadays my wife buys those liquid soaps in a bottle. Times change.

Graham Wilson said...

Those Mesopotamians, leading the way again. Most enjoyable, Steve.

terry quinn said...

Graham beat me to it. Those Mesopotamians again.

No idea what we had at home.

Love the links through soap to soap operas.

Fascinating research following Pears to India. Who knew?

I'm a soap in a bottle person these days.

Well done on the poem.

Beth Randle said...

Such a fun poem.

Rod Downey said...

A splendid read and what a great poem :)

Tinku Dey said...

❤️

Debbie Laing said...

I so enjoyed that, the history of soap, the lovely poem.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Showering with a friend is a favourite memory. What a fabulous poem. Nowadays I use Dalan d'Olive soap - and yes, the water does go the other way round the plughole here.

Martin Brewster said...

Growing up we had Cidal soap for spotty teenage skin. Nowadays Imperial Leather. I really enjoyed your poem. 👍

Billy Banter said...

Fanny soap? Vive la France! 😂

Anonymous said...

Loved the poem ...!!!
The information was good too
Miss you all and cannot wait till I can find an evening when I can get to the group , I have some new material that needs an airing
Neil Burton

Kevin Sterling said...

Ha ha, yes Lifebuoy soap when I was a lad. Nowadays soap-on-a-rope in the shower. Really liked your poem Steve.

Dan Ewers said...

Cleanliness is next to godliness as we know. Super shower poem.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting blog Steve. Love the poem. My dad used Wright's Cold Tar with its familiar mustard colour remnants sticking to the bowl. I have a bar in my memory box and the scent brings dad back.

Caroline Asher said...

A fascinating read. I loved the poem - just wondered if you actually saved any water or just took longer showers??? 😉

Lindi Schnaubell said...

Clinique soap in our household. I love the button and the shower poem. 👏

Saskia Parker said...

Thanks for "coming clean". We use Pears soap, mostly for the reasons you cited. It was fascinating to know its proud history and came as a surprise that it's now manufactured in India. I enjoyed the poem - all in a lather!

Steve Rowland said...

Della - Multi-spray was a brand of shower.

Roger Wakeley said...

Terrific stuff Steve. Well done. 👏

Dani Merakli said...

Great blog Steve and I love the poem. I always use olive oil soap. Ever since childhood it's been a link to my past. 🍈

Mary Jane Evans said...

I loved this Steve, and I'm thinking of changing to Pears soap. If it was good enough for Lillie Langtry...😉

Kat(rina) Ellison said...

Such an interesting blog, and a delightful poem. I have bathed with my 'friend', but it was always a bit cramped in the bath! A shower does sound a much better place for sharing this activity.

Laxmiben Hirani said...

Just love it!! Very intimately detailed Steve! Pears soap and a partner makes using it to another level! ❤️ x By the way one of my favourite soaps also!

CI66Y said...

Solubilising surfactants batman! What's not to like? How ponginess was made history and a sexy shower poem. And well done to the team in tangerine last night.

Sahra Carezel said...

Loved this Steve.

Becca Riley said...

I'm a Pears girl. Love the poem. ❤️

Lucie Dawson said...

What an interesting blog and a delightful poem, made me feel quite dirty actually!

Brett Cooper said...

A fine blog, instructive, witty and what a super poem. I can't remember what soap we had when we were kids but it tasted gross! Was anyone else made to wash their mouths out with soap by their parents for using bad language?

Ben Templeton said...

Always shower in Pears 😉

Briony Hall said...

I can imagine the smell of Pears soap even when I'm not smelling it (and we do use it in our household). Is that unusual? I loved this blog and thought the poem was beautifully pitched.

Jess Norman said...

I love your style, entertaining and informative, and the poem is rather lovely.