written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 25 March 2023

Quartet

One...two...three...four... and welcome to your Saturday Blogger's jazzed up, bopping, finger-popping homage to the musical quartet (in uncompromising 9/8 time).

You've probably heard, or at least heard of, Liverpool's millennial all-girl caterwauling pop combo Atomic Kitten? (Yes I know there were only three of them). You've maybe also heard, or heard tell of, strutting '70s hard-rock outfit Atomic Rooster, born out of the ashes of Arthur Brown's Crazy World? (Now they were a four-piece band, except when they were a three-piece or a five-piece.) But how many of you, I wonder, can claim to be aficionados of this quartet from the 1930s, the boom years of jazz? Ladies and gentlemen of readerland, open wide your ears, disbelieve those eyes and put your sweaty hands together for... Atomic Bittern. πŸ˜‰ 

Atomic Bittern live at The Imaginarium
Apologies for having to make do with a somewhat comedic caricature of  the Bittern, but they were a notoriously camera-shy quartet. There is a rumour that they banned photography at their shows because they were all on the FBI's most wanted list, but I'm not buying that. I just think they were incredibly unassuming chaps who wanted their music to be the focus. 

Let me introduce the band. From left to right we have Tony 'Hot Lips' Tarabuso (horns), Fabio 'The Bean' Tarabuso (different voices, sonics and kazoo), Terzo 'Rimshot' Tarabuso (percussion) and Father Lui 'Fingers' Tarabuso, also sometimes called Kit-Kat (bass viol). Funnily enough, although they all shared an Italian surname (look it up) and were happy to be mistaken for brothers, none of them were actually related. Rather, each was the progeny of different Sicilian fathers*(1) and African-American (as we would say now) mothers across the southern states of the USA, and they didn't know of each other's existence until they all chanced to enrol at the famous Baton Rouge Conservatory of Music.*(2) Don't you find that life is full of such peculiar coincidences?

*(1) There is a strong suggestion that 'Fingers' might have been the illegitimate son of Pope Notorious I, conceived while his mother was on a pre-war pilgrimage to Rome.
*(2) The Conservatory was widely considered to be a front for Mob operations in the south of the country.

As for the Bittern's music, you should know that these guys eight-handedly invented Pre-Bop in 1930s America, a precursor to the Be-Bop jazz which swept the country in the following decade. Pre-Bop began to free jazz, barely out of its teens as syncopated dance music (born of the marching bands and ragtime blues of the deep south), or more strictly began to free jazz musicians to be able to express themselves as players, and to explore rhythms, chordings and time-signatures that took the genre way beyond the dance hall and into the avant-garden. Pre-Bop was fast, complex, hard-hitting. It was cerebral, virtuoso musicians' jazz, not dancing fare, the first hint of a split looming between trad and the new cool, and Atomic Bittern were booming right at the cutting edge.

They frequently exhausted themselves and their ecstatic listeners through hot nights of impassioned and often extemporised playing and though it was almost impossible to reproduce on 78rpm shellac discs what they achieved in the clubs, they did make a few recordings. Their most famous work was 'Botaurus Stellaris, I-IV ', believed to be the first double-album (i.e. four sides of music) in recording history. At the outbreak of WWII thousands of their records were either smashed or burned (or both) at mass protests in the south against the perceived threats of communism and fascism (for the Bittern were big in Berlin and massive in Moscow), predating a similar burning of Beatles' records in the southern states of America a quarter of a century later. It was a strange time. It is a strange place. I don't believe a single playable copy of 'Botaurus Stellaris, I-IV ' is extant today.

The quartet called time in the wake of such violent ructions and went their separate ways again, signing off with the pithy remark that "Tempos got frayed". They disappeared unassumingly into the backwaters of  Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi, never to boom again.

And regarding their unusual moniker, you may be wondering quite how they picked the adjective 'Atomic', as if anticipating Oppenheimer, A-bombs and all that jazz by at least a decade. I simply have no idea. If I did, I might have written a poem about it. Instead, I'm sharing one by a local Lancashire poet and sometime Dead Good guest blogger of my acquaintance.

Bittern
Deep in the rustling reeds, I listened
for that bottle-blowing boom.

Every morning, in my diligence,
I jotted down the latitude and longitude,
triangulating echoes in the feathered
muffling overtopping me.

Plotting on the map, I saw,
around the Wash, the Humber
Estuary and Dungeness,
a line of foghorns
strung along the Saxon shore.

                                 Norman Hadley (2014)

By the way, this (below) is what a real bittern looks like. Smaller than a heron, it is something of a rarity nowadays in the UK, nesting in a few marginal locations: Anglesey, the East Anglian broads, parts of Kent and Lancashire (yay). It is liveliest at dawn and dusk, rarely flies very far, but struts its stuff in the camouflaging confines of reed beds. The male bittern in spring makes a booming sound that can be heard up to three miles away on a calm day. 














Thanks as ever for reading my crazy noodlings, S ;-)

48 comments:

Rod Downey said...

Wonderfully inventive Steve. πŸ‘

Anonymous said...

Very funny Mr R.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Ooh, I loved this! It's just so funny. I wish any of it was true. Pope Notorious I made me hoot (a bit like a bittern perhaps). 🀎

Boz said...

Boom Boom la! You had me going for a while there. πŸ˜ƒ

Pamela Winning said...

Hilarious. Thanks, Steve. And I'd no idea that Atomic Rooster were borne of Arthur Brown. AR was the first rock concert I went to, supported or supporting Ginger Baker's Airforce, c1970. 😊

Binty said...

Atomic Kitten caterwauling? Miaow! (LOL) Very funny blog though.

Jambo said...

Class. πŸ‘

Alistair Bradfield said...

That's brightened my Monday morning. Most wittily done. I knew Tarabuso as a wine from Tuscany, didn't realise it meant bittern as well in Italian.

Mac Southey said...

What a fun read, and Pre-Bop... a stroke of genius. Ditto eight-handedly. πŸ‘

Debbie Laing said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your 'crazy noodlings'.

CI66Y said...

Brilliant Steve. Beautifully played. All power to the imaginarium.

Billy Banter said...

'Tempos got frayed' - love it! πŸ˜‚

Vic Sourzak said...

We are amused :)

Deke Hughes said...

Loved the Bitterns booming. Very clever spoofing. Shame about the poem ;)

Tim Collins said...

Once bittern, twice shy. Very clever stuff Steve. That got me thinking - given it's about a quartet - what comes after thrice? Any idea?

Tyger Barnett said...

Caterwauling Kitten and strutting Rooster - very good. In fact the whole piece is hilarious. Well done!

Seb Politov said...

Ha ha ha.... enjoyed every crazy noodling word of this.

Anonymous said...

Loved this, very funny! X

Tom Shaw said...

Bodacious blogging! So good I've read it several times over.

Ross Madden said...

Priceless. Well done, that was such fun. πŸ‘

Peter Fountain said...

I laughed out loud :)

Gemma Gray said...

Very clever, such invention. That reference to Pope Notorious is glorious. 😊

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Humanitad by Oscar Wilde, he mentions "the gaunt bittern..." not really a jazz band natured bird but has a distinctive voice! Whi knows? Thanks forca crazy piece

Stu Hodges said...

Genius! πŸ˜‚

terry quinn said...

I read this on April 1st and thought 'you're not catching me out Mr Rowlands'.

That 'Tempos got frayed' is crying out to be used in a poem.

Ailsa Cox said...

I love it.

Steve Rowland said...

Tim C: I was intrigued by your question (what comes next after thrice?) so I did a bit of research. Once, twice and thrice are modern spellings of the Old English anes, twies, thries and the next in sequence was feowers, so the answer ought to be something like feowce ;-)

Becca Riley said...

Very funny, very clever too. I didn't even know bitterns existed so every one of your blogs is an education. Now I want to hear one booming.

Dan Francisco said...

I thought it was Baxters that was booming! Great blog Steve. Pre-bop was inspired. πŸ‘

Susan Osborne said...

What a great read. Really enjoyed it, such imagination and wit. Made my morning coffee even more enjoyable.

Dani Merakli said...

Booming marvellous Steve. Well done. πŸ˜‚

Ben Templeton said...

Tremendous piece, so much to enjoy as others have said. I loved the phrase "beyond the dance hall and into the avant-garden" - just splendid. All power to the imaginarium.

Danielle Lewis said...

What a great spoof. It took me a while...

Bill Dexter said...

A great post. I loved the sustained spoofery. Well played Steve.

Jack Telfer said...

Class that!

Rochelle said...

Very good Steve! Is the cartoon your work as well?

Tif Kellaway said...

Yes, boom! boom! So clever.

Sarah Kenniford said...

Oh that's very good! πŸ‘

Francesca Marrone said...

I suppose you think that was funny! I'm joking, it was. And clever too.

K0NR&D said...

Splendiferous spoofing dude.

GV (Vance) said...

One of your funniest.

Mike Dell said...

I'm still laughing! This was great Steve. Out of interest I just looked up what the collective noun for bitterns is - and it's a pretence! How perfect. 😊

Nigel Kewley said...

That's tremendous. I did see Atomic Rooster a few times in the seventies.

Liz Edwards said...

According to my latest RSPB magazine, the Bittern population in England is now into several hundreds, many of them on 39 RSPB nature reserves. That's good going since they were nearly extinct in the late 1990s.

Tamsin Permaul said...

I love it. You're such a wit. πŸ‘

Brendan Scully said...

A brilliant sustained spoof. I laughed out loud.

David Spencer said...

Genius! I'm hooting...πŸ˜ƒ

Lawrence Fielding said...

What a tremendous spoof. I loved it. Pre-bop...very clever.