written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Wednesday 17 February 2021

Confessional Poetry

A quick definition of Confessional Poetry would be that it is poetry focused on the ‘I’.

It deals with subjects polite society would rather sweep under the carpet. It is raw, fearless, emotive and unflinching.

Or as Robert Lowell put it in his National Book Award acceptance speech: ‘It is huge blood- dripping gobbets of unseasoned experience’.

Robert Lowell, W D Snodgrass, Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton are the four poets most often cited as ‘Confessional’. However, it was, and still is, a controversial title. The form is often criticized for being self- indulgent. Even Snodgrass, arguably the first confessional poet, dislikes the term intensely.

W D Snodgrass
Poet and novelist Lavinia Greenlaw says, ‘no one wants to be called a confessional poet…It suggests all you do is blurt your feelings. But to work explicitly with the self requires extraordinary judgement and control’. These poets aren’t simply wailing into the void. They are still working within the constraints of poetry. Rather like a doctor describing a wound, brutal but precise.

Confessional poets wrote about then taboo subjects such as mental illness, familial drama, suicide, and sexuality. Of the four poets mentioned. Sylvia Plath is probably the best known and loved. Two of her most famous poems, ‘Daddy’ and ‘Lady Lazarus’ are great examples of confessional poetry, dealing with the death of her father and suicide attempts, respectively.

Sylvia Plath
In our century, when many people have Instagram, Facebook, or whatever is the latest social media app, people often reveal the raw, personal details of every-day lives. In that context, it can be difficult to see confessionalism as a distinctive approach.

Much poetry today can be thus classed as ‘confessional’ even if it doesn’t claim that title or acknowledge the influence behind it.

I have written a slightly satirical poem to conclude my blog.

The Confessional poetry sentence
State who you are, what your purpose is,
the name of the poem - something informative
and honest like a post-it note on your forehead,
equally, describe the world in which you move,
if there are places you want to avoid, the nature
of your baggage, what you need to make a go of it,
in turn, define the meaning of everything, say what
will change and what will stay the same, making sure
you have allowed for sufficient instances,
then you can relive that moment of happiness,
the one you revisit so that it takes a toll on your health
and causes you to drink, developing crise de foie,
ulcers, anxiety, stress, headaches, an arrhythmia,
so that you want to sue the past for medical damages,
yet when it was suggested that you let this moment
go in the hope that your health might improve
as one might give up smoking or try a vitamin,
you said; what’s the point of living without any joy?

Thank you for reading and do add any comments you have about this style of poetry or today's social media confessional approach.

David Wilkinson

11 comments:

Jeanie Buckingham said...

All creative art is self-indulgent in that it expresses the 'I', wanting an audience in whatever genre you work. Picasso being the foremost exponent, having much more ego than any poet I could name. Even the medieval masons, when it wasn't on show - too high to be seen, indulged in some vulgar self-expression. Confessional poetry is what we want to read twice, whether it's an easy read or not. If it touches our emotions and experience, it could be serving a purpose for self-help. And anyway, we all like a good nose into someone else's life!

Flloydwith2Ells said...

This is actually, quite comforting to me. It used to be that I believed I could conceal the 'I' in my writing, by creating a fictional character to express it. Then one of my sons suggested I might try writing about somebody else for a change.

He thinks I can.
I think he wants a different
kind of mother.

Deke Hughes said...

Did the growing acceptance of psychoanalysis/psychotherapy in the USA in mid-century help to give credence to confessional poetry? I believe Lowell, Sexton and Plath all had severe and lifelong mental health issues (bi-polar or deeply depressive personalities), hospitalisations, ECT, suicide attempts. I don't know about Snodgrass. Maybe the predominance of 'I' in their poetry can be seen in part as therapeutic writing. Of course it helped that they were very good at it.

Binty said...

OMG. Sylvia Plath has just been an answer on The Chase. I can't remember what the question was :)

Brad Gekowski said...

I had a college lecturer used to joke (in mock Groucho Marx style) "It takes balls to write confessional poetry. That's why it's mostly women who do it." He then went on to expound a theory that the likes of Millay, Sexton, Parker, Plath and even Kamala Das had men's spirits in women's bodies and their mental health issues stemmed from societal pressures to suppress those spirits; an interesting line of reasoning but I didn't buy it.

Steve Rowland said...

A good post David, and I hope it gets some extended discussion going. I'll have to keep my own thoughts close for Saturday's blog, but I will let slip here that I bought a copy on its publication in 1969 of Anne Sexton's 'Love Poems' and this callow sixteen year old was never the same again. I enjoyed your poem very much, pointedly amusing but essentially true.

Max Page said...

What was ground-breakingly shocking in terms of poetic content in the 1950s/60s helped make such expressions of 'I' commonplace today. That's surely a good thing. What isn't so good is that social media allow anybody to splurge their Confessional work regardless of its being well or badly written - but then it's often said "there is no such thing as a bad poem" so I don't know.

Nigella D said...

The only one of those I'm familiar with is Sylvia Plath, I'm afraid.

Bruce Paley said...

Interesting. There are some great lines in your clever how-to-do-confessional poem. I especially like "so that you want to sue the past for medical damages". šŸ‘

Audrey Holt said...

That must of been one of Sylvia Plath's moments of happiness :)

Kate Eggleston-Wirtz said...

Really interesting David. My dad was into the psychoanalysis stuff in the late 1969s early 1970s. I still have his book on Gestalt and lovely to read another clever sentence poem - can’t wait for the collection :)