written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 2 December 2023

Wonderland

Wonderland! No contest, as far as I'm concerned. It's bookshops and what you find within, which is books (obviously) and what you find within them, which in turn is entry into a limitless world of imagined experience.

I love books, have done since I was very young. I can still remember a time when I couldn't read (aged three plus). I have a vivid memory of looking at a book with pictures of tigers and rows of black symbols. I was intrigued by the latter, for they meant something to people who could decipher them. I also felt thwarted. It was fun to be read to, but how much more convenient to be able to do it for oneself without having to ensnare a grown-up or wait until bedtime! Being a determined little fellow, and with the help of the recently published series of Janet And John reading primers, soon I was reading for myself, taking the first steps on a lifelong adventure that is the love of literature. My favourite Christmas present, aged four, was  A.A. Milne's 'Winnie the Pooh '.

My dad, bless him, used to take me to a bookshop every month (aged five onwards) and let me choose a book from the Puffin range (the children's imprint of Penguin books). Consequently, I love bookshops too and will rarely pass up the chance to enter one, have a browse, often make a purchase. Books expect it. They don't read themselves, after all. They are all hoping to go to a good home and be a source of delight to whoever adopts them.

wonderful - Livraria Lello (Porto)
Some bookshops are splendid and stunning affairs in their own right. I think of Hatchards on Piccadilly in London (founded 1797), Livraria Lello in Porto (founded 1869 and pictured above), even Shakespeare and Company, located on the Left Bank in Paris (founded 1951). They are worth a visit for the ambience and the architecture.

Bookshops have been with us since the days of Ancient Greece. The founding of the first libraries in the 4th century BC was the catalyst for booksellers to spring up in Athens and other Greek cities. Rome and the key cities of the Roman Empire followed suit a few hundred years later. Possessing a personal library of books was quite the status symbol. Obviously in those times all books were hand-written, providing employment for skilled copyists and scribes. Moorish Spain saw the next wave of book-making and book-selling in the 10th century AD and this was followed by France, Germany, the Low Countries and England, and by this time (early 15th century) the invention of the printing press had revolutionised the production of books. The oldest extant bookshop in Europe was founded in Orleans in France in 1545. No doubt the Librairie Nouvelle d'Orléans has one eye on its 500th anniversary (if we're still here and books are still being sold in 2045).

Quite a lot of the books in my own library (if that's not too grand a term for a collection that doesn't have a room of its own) were acquired second-hand because they were no longer in print when I wanted to read them. Many is the visit I made to the cluttered second-hand bookshops that used to line the Charing Cross Road, absolute Aladdin's caves or treasure troves (pictured below), and as wonderful in their ways as the stylish repositories of new books mentioned earlier.

equally wonderful - Charing Cross Books (London)
Nowadays online sellers of second-hand books have changed the landscape. They are useful for the sheer range of what is available via the portal of a computer, but I miss the browsing experience along row after row of higgledy shelves and the possibility of alighting upon a true gem.

I am happy to have passed on my love of books to my own children. Everybody who is dear to me will be receiving at least one book this Christmas. 

To conclude just about on theme, here's the  latest (yet another narrative) poem, based on the recollection of a random surprise week-end visit I received early in the summer of 1972, because I happened to be in the right place at the time, owned  a copy of Stephen Stills' debut solo LP and was reading Herman Hesse. It comes with the usual caveat that I might revise it if I can see ways to improve how it reads. Let me know what you think...

Serenity (Between The Covers)
With a lived in skin like Janis Joplin's
and a daddy in the diplomatic corps
or so she claimed, Poppy drifted 
through my door from Lebanon
looking for the guy who had the room before,
was hoping maybe he'd score, give her
some cash, a bath and a floor to crash on.
So young to be so seeming worldly wise
with her trippy clothes and hippy bag,
she made herself at home, clearly knew 
the lie of the land, so had a bath
and then brewed us mint tea to accompany
a smoke or two. She looked all through
my records and books, loved that I read Hesse,
was thrilled to discover Stephen Stills.

She put him on repeat play while she spun
her life story (one version of it anyway)
as we lay nailed to the carpet contemplating
how I'd painted the ceiling rose to resemble
a lotus flower which complemented
the Buddha in the grate. Spying my camera,
she cajoled me into taking photographs
as she posed smiling, rolling, pouting
in various stages of coquettish undress.
Eventually the midnight munchies struck 
so we made cheese after cheese on toast 
topped with aubergine pickle, then sated
curled up cosily in bed like we'd been 
comfortable friends for years, still listening 
in the dark to Love the one you're with.

Next morning while she slept on, it being sunny
I sat out happily among the ranks of bright weeds
in our ramshackle back garden and read
The Glass Bead Game while plaintive strains 
of the Rolling Stones' Wild Horses sounded
softly from a neighbour's open window.
I was lost between the covers as Magister Ludi
told of the splendour of serenity: the secret 
of beauty and the real substance of all art.
It was past midday when I realised with a start
the hours I'd been sitting out, a neglectful host.
But my room was empty, unruly bed neatly made
and Poppy gone, along with my camera and
Stephen Stills LP. She'd left a scribbled thankyou
and a twist of stems and seeds. I could only smile.







As a bonus, here's a link to a blog from Boxing Day in 2015, containing a Lewis Carroll pastiche I wrote. Just click on the bold title to activate the link and take you down the hole: Alice's Adventures In Sunderland

Bless you, thanks for reading, Steve ;-)

35 comments:

Matt West said...

Nice one Steve. I hope that's not Owen Oyston in the top photo!

Binty said...

The thieving little minx! And you so laid back about it. A lovely read.

Deke Hughes said...

Of course I'm going to agree with you about bookshops and books - though you might have given MY bookshop mention (LOL). Drop in for a browse if you're ever down this way. I enjoyed the poem.

Nigella D said...

A good nomination, bookshops as wonderland. Now there are not so many around it's always a treat to go to a big one in a large city. Your surprise visit poem is intriguing. How much of it is true and how much a product of the famous imaginarium? Just to add: I've never read any Hesse. Recommendations please.

Steve Rowland said...

Oh Nigella - all of it is true. I did take one phrase out of the poem's second verse which originally read "curled up chaste like children who've been..." It was in there to make clear that nothing happened between us. To be candid, I didn't know how old she actually was and I didn't know where she'd been (if you follow). But everything in the poem is exactly as it happened, incidental details and all. As foe Hesse, I'd say start with Steppenwolf or Siddhartha and go from there if you enjoy them. He's still a favourite and The Glass Bead Game (which I've read three times) is in my top 50 all time great novels.

Anonymous said...

Cheers Steve for posting. Rick

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Your poem reminded me of the old saying that sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. I'd forgotten just how popular Hesse was in the 1960s and 1970s. I backpacked round Europe with a copy of The Glass Bead Game in my stow.

CI66Y said...

I'm obviously totally with you regarding bookshops and books. I don't think I've ever heard your story about Poppy before. What a David Bailey moment. Was your camera worth a lot of money?

Gemma Gray said...

You write so well. I loved this blog, not just for the subject matter but for throw away lines like "my own library, if that's not too grand a term for a collection that doesn't have a room of its own" (Virginia Woolf?). Now I want to go bookshopping to add to my stash of unread works (LOL). I enjoyed your poem too. Different times, as I think you said yourself in another blog recently.

Jen McDonagh said...

Who doesn't love a beautiful bookshop? Absolute havens. My, what forward young lady that Poppy was.

Will Griffin said...

A great blog. We all have books in common, that's why we're reading and commenting here. 👍

Poppy Deveraux said...

I could have been that Poppy, but I wasn't. Loved the blog and the poem.❤️

Billy Banter said...

The poetry of sex, drugs and rock & roll. 😉

Ross Madden said...

A great read Steve. Waterstones on Piccadilly is my haven of choice. I enjoyed your poem. It's time Hermann Hesse made a comeback, don't you think? 👏

Flo Bennet said...

Loved this. Bookshops are wonderful places. I didn't realise they existed before the printed page! Great poem too. love its quote from the Glass Bead Game.

Steve Rowland said...

BB: no sex involved (see my earlier comment to Nigella). And Clive: that's funny. I hadn't seen 'Blow Up' at that time. The camera was an Ilford Sportsman, not hugely valuable. I suspect Poppy just wanted to get the pictures of herself developed and printed. Needless to say, I never saw her again.

Andy D. said...

Was that the pad on City Road you shared with Stephen Spender's nephew?

terry quinn said...

What a lovely warm blog. Reminds me of events in the 1970s.

Have you seen the very wonderful 84, Charing Cross Road?

My favourite bookshops are the ones in Carnforth and Grange over Sands.

Excellent poem.

Charlotte Mullins said...

A great blog and a good nomination for wonderland. I'm in agreement about browsing, that's when unexpected surprises occur. A shame there are many fewer bookshops than there were 20 years ago. I loved the poem, especially for the calm acceptance you showed.

Rod Downey said...

Interesting things always seem to happen to you! What an absorbing poem. Hesse was really trendy in the 60s and 70s but seems to have lost favour since then.

Brett Cooper said...

We are very fortunate to have a load of good bookstores in Melbourne. My go-tos are Hill Of Content and Readings (on Lygon Street if you're ever down this way). Avenue Bookstores are excellent too. Kudos for the poem.

Boz said...

And that's what drugs does to you la! 🙂

Rochelle said...

A lovely blog, and as a librarian I have to lobby for libraries as wonderlands too. Libraries are among our finest institutions. The poem was fun and you were well ahead of the trend with mint tea! By the way, I share your love of Hermann Hesse.

Daisy Lockyer said...

Yes, book heaven. I loved the poem.

Saskia Parker said...

Fabulous, Steve. I think of bookshops as oases in the mad rush of the world, but wonderland is so apt. And what a lovely poem. ❤️

Tyger Barnett said...

That's a bloody brilliant poem! 👏

Jenna Snow said...

We have Powell's in Portland, the 'biggest independent bookstore in the world'. I loved the poem.

Paul Jones said...

This was a lovely and fascinating read. I didn't know that bookshops have been around since antiquity. It's a true marker of our civilisation. don't you think? I really enjoyed your revelatory Serenity poem.

Dennis Hamilton said...

I did enjoy reading this and I really like your poem but I'd like to share a thought about personal libraries: I imagine that most consist of books that have been read once (if at all) and will never be read again. Just saying. Am I wrong?

Debbie Laing said...

I loved the rhythm of your poem, the tale it told and your serenity!

Anonymous said...

Vellichor - the beautiful wistfulness of used bookstores and the strange romance evoked by the scent of old books and paper.

Sophie Pope said...

I loved your notion of books all waiting to be adopted and hoping for somebody to read them. 👏

Morgan Ellis said...

I read a lot of Hermann Hesse in my younger days. He was quite the thing. Do people still read him today? I really liked your poem.

jacky said...

Enjoyed your blog and poem very much, Steve. A brief encounter captured forever. Ancient House in Ipswich town centre. Grade 1 listed building was my favourite bookshop, full of winding creaky staircases. The top floor housed a wall of bright orange Penguin books to browse and lose myself in for hours. It's now a Lakeland shop full of kitchen gadgets.

Stu Hodges said...

There's a brilliantly described scene in Len Deighton's spy novel Charity where he describes the hero having a clandestine meeting with a contact in one of those basement rooms in a Charing Cross second hand bookshop. He was obviously a frequenter of them like yourself. It's a great poem. I must dig out my Stephen Stills albums. Happy New Year.