written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 10 January 2019

What if?

Not much to say for this one but I have written a children's poem for a change.





What if?
 
What if I were a bird?
Would my fear of heights inhibit me?
Would I sit on a branch
In a trance
Until a cat climbed up and murdered me?
 
What if I were a mole?
Would my claustrophobia cause me stress?
And would the lack of Vitamin D
Have an adverse effect on me?
 
What if I was a chimpanzee?
Would my arthritic finger cripple me?
Would I swing through the trees
But tumble down
And break my back on the stony ground?
 
What if I was a chameleon?
Would my colour blindness be cause for concern?
Would my camouflage fail
Exposing me
To predators who’d make a meal of me?
 
What if I was a hippopotamus?
Would my hydrophobia be disastrous?
If I couldn’t wallow – down in the hollow
I doubt that a mate would follow me.
 
But I am a human being you see
And my defects have little effect on me.
I may not be perfect
But I’ll survive.
I am just grateful to be alive.
 
 Thanks for reading - Adele  

3 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

It's a charming poem and capable of (almost infinite) extension... could be the basis of a workshop for children?

e.g.
What if I was a bear
with alopecia?
Would the fact my fur was mizzly
make me more or less grizzly?
And would anybody care?

Anonymous said...

And would everybody stare? (alternative end to Steve's bear verse).
Thank you Adele, very amusing.

Anonymous said...

Love the poem.