written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Monday 14 May 2012

A thrilling finale



On Saturday night the people of Great Britain voted a dancing dog to be the most talented act in the country. They deemed a dancing dog fit to parade in front of royalty in Jubilee year. They gave light to the bleakest of talentless nutcases that it can be done whilst plunging the nation into what will hopefully in two weeks be regarded as shame.

If you enjoyed the dancing pooch, fair play to you the first time, I did myself. The second time. The third time? To think that this is the pinnacle of talent the island has to offer annoys me. I hope then, that maybe the people who should have didn't bother auditioning (as always seems the case).

Back in the real world, yesterday saw Man City pull off their first Premiership title win in my lifetime. I sat there as most people did thinking the blue half of Manchester had thrown it all away, that QPR had done a job and that somewhere in the madness of it all everything had flipped on a knife edge. The whistles started to go in around the country, with Mancini time still being played at the Etihad and would you believe it, they smash two in and steal the title back from United's noses. By the time the papers are opened tomorrow, the whole thing will be relegated to statistics (and the top half all ended the day exactly where they started it).

Last year I sang beyond the final whistle at Old Trafford as Blackpool were relegated. The pride, the glory of it all and then the disappointment were all a little bit too much and, unsurprisingly, there were tears. That day inspired me to write the Dreamland poem when the Dead Good Poets were seeking submissions for the Blackpool anthology. This weekend, with a blog post in mind, I found myself thinking football poems again. Light and Dark is our theme for the week, and though a little rushed through, this is where I went with it.



We talked of legends for hours. Always legends. 


In the playgrounds we traded icons like stickers
Your Lee for my Matthews, some other kid's Law.
We played cup final day in the alleys back then, every night
we played pens with one poor sod on stones. 


Those were the days, in the days of our elders
the legends of their youth, the nothings of ours
the light we hold up in their memory brings darkness
overshadowed by heroes, here a long time before.


You talked then of fortress Maine Road, you went down
and I laughed as United swept off with the league
and my lot milled along: results read out last, goals never shown
but just three quid in each gave us somewhere to go.


Nobody told us back then, as young boys, that the games
we built childhoods on course through the veins of the men
who remember Maine Road on a wet Tuesday night-
with that tunnel out back, being penned in through spite. 


The Blue Moon never rose in my lifetime before-
at one point I doubted that it would endure through the dark
then from somewhere, as legend, came Keegan to steer
then Sven, Hughes, Mancini- one to make his name here


Glass eyed fan on the telly, I'm glad you've now won
Enjoy it, think of all the grounds the lads have been on
This was one for the memory bank, no shame now in tears
Light has come from those dark days, light to hold up for years. 



Thanks for reading,
Shaun.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harsh criticism for Ashleigh and Pudsey. That young girl has trained that dog through commitment, self-sacrifice and love. I genuinely believe those are talents worth admiring.

And, as the runner up in that contest apparently hasn't got the talent to avoid pies, I think her win was deserved.

As always - great poetry and a very thought-provoking start to the week.

Ash