written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 12 November 2016

Volcano

I must admit that I don't know too much about volcanoes. However, I do know that many of Britain's mountains and islands were formed by volcanic activity. The likes of Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh, the crag that the castle stands on too were once volcanoes. In Aberdeenshire I climbed Bennachie and that was formed by volcanic action...early man built a vitrified fort on the summit as it offered a grand vantage point against invaders.

Next summer I hope to visit the island of Staffa to view Fingal's cave - having the same sort of rock formations as the Giant's Causeway in Ireland.

I have a poem that I wrote on the Island Arran in September this year.


            
Goatfell

Mirrored sides facing south, gathering the sunlight.
Rugged peak stretching to the sky - touching clouds.
Stark, grey slabs set on sideways - pyramid like.
Inviting, but daunting - head in the mist,
Feet in the peat moor.
Majestic peak, scarred from apocalyptic upheaval.

Thanks for reading my rather short contribution this week....Kath

1 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Short, as you say, but sweet. Really liked the poem. Thanks Kath.