written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Friday 2 August 2019

Elephants

   Firstly let me apologise for my tardiness in writing a regular blog. At present my life is like an episode of a soap opera. Anyway, I settled down for a few minutes earlier this week and wrote this short piece....

   Our old van had a registration number that included the letters ENP, so in order to help me remember the registration,  I made up this little phrase.
         
              "Elephants never party".

   So I came up with this little poem....
             
             
             


                 ENP

   "Hey", says mama elephant,
   " Let's party the night away.
     Put on your brightest gear
    And together we shall sway.
    I like reggae music, but Mildred
    Likes old pop.
    Make it a real all night party,
    We'll dance till we drop.
    Daisy, there, is almost past it,
    But she likes a bit of twist.
    So let's get down and boogie,
    Make sure no one is missed.
    Ethel will bring good food,
    And Dolores even better wine-
    Get us in a good mood.
    We're sure to have a good time.
    Don't say we never party-
    We can party like the best.
    So come on ladies let's travel,
    We haven't got time to rest.
    It's only a few days journey
    To our favourite party spot.
    So tails to trunks together
    And off we'll jolly well trot.

Thank you for reading, Kath

1 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Kath, I liked your happy little poem. It's strange how the mind works. I wonder why you chose Elephants Never Party as a mnemonic to remember your number-plate. Was it a grey car with big wing-mirrors???

I've never memorised car registrations in that way. For some months on my way to work I used to pass a big old coach parked in a lay-by. The coach possessed the number-plate ANU81S, which I thought at the time would make a great registration for the Egyptian Bus Of The Dead, an idea which has laid dormant for 30 years....until now ;-)