written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 28 November 2019

Tankas

Like haiku poems, tankas are small, form poems, originated in Japan. Each line follows a pattern dictated by its number of syllables.

The tanka is a thirty-one-syllable poem, traditionally written in a single unbroken line. A form of waka, Japanese song or verse, tanka translates as "short song," and is better known in its five-line, 5/7/5/7/7 syllable count form.



I studied on a one-day a week creative writing course before my degree, I ad the opportunity to learn about tanka and managed to produce four of my own. The four poems developed organically, out of my love for nature and my family.

We lived on a housing association estate back then and I was always amazed by some of the local children, who often seemed to mill about without much parental intervention and support. My own son and daughter were kept occupied with sport, art and musical activities. The fourth poem reflects the development of those other children.

 



Adolescence


Keep your faith with me

When the world opens its arms

And you slip from view.

Youth may take you far and high

My love will hold if you fall.



Constraint


Political correctness

has stifled life’s frivolity.

Joy goes unspoken.

Speech tight-lipped, not free.

Who is different – you or me?



Bonsai


Tiny perfect leaves

Trim ev’ry minature bough.

Impersonation

scaled to perfection with skill

and patience by loving hands.



Cherry Tomatoes


You were not nurtured

yet year on year green shoots grow

wild on wet compost.

Carelessly discarded seed

Ripens to soft scarlet fruit.  


Thanks for reading. Adele

1 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Excellent Adele. I like Adolescence and Bonsai in particular (though the others are good too) and that picture is magnificent. I'm relieved you wrote these four some time ago because I struggled to knock one into shape for my blog this week!