written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 10 October 2020

The Sea, The Sea

I've named today's blog twice, in imitation and recognition of Iris Murdoch's Booker Prize winning novel of 1978, because I happen to be re-reading The Sea, The Sea at the moment. (Incidentally, Murdoch dedicated her 19th novel to an erstwhile family friend of mine. I never asked the family friend why, though I know they were at Oxford together at one time.) The novel is set on the north-east coast of England and re-reading it has reminded me, among other things, of days spent at the seaside in Northumberland with my daughters when they were young (for my in-laws lived in Durham). The beaches at Alnmouth, Boulmer, Embleton and Seahouses were/are beautiful and sandy expanses on a rugged coastline, good destinations in fine weather for a day out and a picnic. The North Sea was/is very cold!

My own first experience of the sea was, in marked contrast, a tropical affair. I was too young (not even a year old) to retain a memory of the encounter but my Dad (bless him) kept diaries which he later transcribed into a form of memoir. From this I know that my first "taste of the sea" as he phrased it was at Victoria Beach, Lagos, in Nigeria where I was entranced by the sight of surf rolling up the sloping sands and by the tang of the hot sea breeze (not to mention the stranded blue jellyfish melting in the sun). It was a thrilling locale that I was to visit on several occasional trips to the coast during my early years in Nigeria and always a refreshing sight in contrast to the frequently dry and dusty interior of the country where I grew up.

I should perhaps explain at this point, for those who don't know, that The Sea, The Sea is in fact a classical quote from the Greek (where else, eh?). Θάλαττα! θάλαττα! or Thálatta! thálatta! was the emotional cry of 10,000 Greek soldiers on forced retreat during the Persian War when after a protracted northwards march through dry, dusty and hostile territory, they sighted salt water (the Black Sea) and safety at Trebizond, as told in Anabasis by Xenophon. Not quite as lovely as the Mediterranean, but a welcome respite and a return to Greek dominions.

I have one thing in common with the protagonist of Murdoch's novel. We both spent our professional lives, by accident not design, as far from the sea as it is possible to get in England and on retiring both headed for a house at the seaside (only on opposite sides of the country). I differ from him in at least two respects. He is a fanatical swimmer - even in the cold North sea - and I am not. He is also rudely dismissive of my favourite part of the world: "Oh blessed northern sea, a real sea with clean merciful tides, not like the stinking soupy Mediterranean!" Harsh, that, and the first indication of a flawed character.

His love of the sea and swimming reflects Iris Murdoch's own; and as Miles Leeson (director of the Iris Murdoch Research Centre at the University of Chichester) has pointed out in an interesting essay on the novel, the author always upheld "the importance of the sea to mental health and wellbeing, and to freeing the creative part of the mind. She always wished in letters to her friends that she could have a cottage by the sea and one wonders why she didn't as she could have afforded one."

I thought that was a fitting observation to relate on this day of all days, World Mental Health Day. And I give thanks to whatever quarter is appropriate that during these crazy days of Lockdown and the bastard Son Of Lockdown, I live within walking distance of the sea, the sea here in the jewel of the north! The air, the space, the light, the constant motion of the waters have been a significant factor in keeping us sane in these parts during difficult times.

It's also curious to contemplate that my reason for being in Blackpool actually harks back to my being born in Nigeria. As I've related before in other blogs, growing up football-mad and so far from England meant that I had no natural geographical ties when it came to supporting an English league team, so the fact that Blackpool won the FA Cup the year I was born was enough to secure my allegiance for life. Whenever my ex-wife and I used to drive up from as-far-from-the-sea-as-it's-possible-to-get, to watch Blackpool playing at Bloomfield Road, the first thing we always did (if we arrived in good time after a 225 mile journey) was to take a look at the sea, using it as talisman and augury, trying to determine from its state of play what sort of game we might be in for. 

Of course, a lot of nonsense is talked about the motions of the sea, the gravitational effects of the moon, the ebb and flow of tides, when in reality it's all the work of the great Sea Cat... 😊



That's enough sea-related spiel for one blog. Here to finish is my latest poem. It's genesis lay in my ruminating one night on the nature of patently impossible feats like trying to catch the wind (thanks, Donovan), nail jelly to a wall (cheers, Teddy Roosevelt),  get blood out of a stone (grazie Giovanni Torriano)...or draw a portrait in water:

Water Portrait
I drew your likeness
in a wave receding:
truth of your essence
blue of your eyes
froth of your smile
sweep of your curves
undertow of madness.

I always knew
you wouldn't hang
around for long.

Imagine my surprise
then
when you rose up,
rushed back
and smacked me
in the face,
all salty tears of reproof.

For what? I never knew.

Thanks for reading. Stay safe, stay sane, S ;-)

36 comments:

LadyCurt said...

Nice poem ..I liked the movement of the waves....

Kate Eggleston-Wirtz said...

Nice one Steve! How lucky are we to live by the sea. I’m with you re the sea keeping us sane during Lockdown and during the current clime. Very soothing for the soul. Enjoyed your new poem. Feels like the ebb and flows of the tide.

Jeanie Buckingham said...

I did very much enjoy reading your blog and poem but the heart is for the picture of the cat ... My sanity is preserved by many things, the countryside, animals, chocolate, as well as the sea ...❤️

Harry Lennon said...

The interesting and funny and poetic buttons have disappeared. I would have ticked all three for this. Great blog Steve.

Jacq Slater said...

You Dead Good Poets are so lucky living by the sea, an inspiration as well as a recreation :)

I've never read any Iris Murdoch (a bit highbrow?) but I enjoyed your blog and poem immensely.

Mac Southey said...

Ha ha, I love the Sea Cat concept. How does it fit with flat earth theory? I thought your poem was very good too.

Deke Hughes said...

I don't think Irish Murdoch (as we used to call her) is in vogue at the moment so it's interesting to hear that you are re-reading her. I like your Water Portrait poem, very well done. 👍

Flloydwith2Ells said...

I grew up by the sea, and I miss it, so thanks for your eloquent reminder of how wonderful it is. And I lived in Nigeria for 4 years, pretty sure I remember Victoria Beach, some great sandy picnics. Your poem charmed me, and then made me laugh. Oh yes.

Nigella D said...

Who doesn't feel uplifted by a day on the coast? I just wish we lived closer to it than we do. I've never read any Iris Murdoch novels but I did see that biopic a few years ago. She led an unconventional life! I loved the poem, so deceptively simple but what a kick!

Nick Ball said...

That's a very clever and rather lovely poem Steve. Well done.

CI66Y said...

To my shame I've never read any Iris Murdoch. What do you recommend? I thought the picture of the Sea Cat was brilliant and your poem is extremely well done. Can we guess who it's about??? Stay safe, stay sane.

Alistair Bradfield said...

You are so fortunate to live close to the sea. I enjoyed your blog and latest poem, a clever extended metaphor.

Natalija Drozdova said...

Occasional visits to Blackpool in the last months has helped me with the terrible stress of corinavirus. I support what you say. I also love your new poem. Stay well.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Bravo Steve. I love the clever idea of your Water Portrait poem, the unexpected inversion of 'wave receding', the unexpected twist and the sense of aggrieved perplexity. It's so simple and yet so powerful. Well done.

Anonymous said...

It is a jealous sea!

Rod Downey said...

Very good Steve, I really enjoyed the blog. I've not read any Iris Murdoch. Maybe I should. The 'sea cat' is a fabulous image and I liked your latest poem very much. How's the promised collection coming along? Stay safe.

Charlotte Mullins said...

Thank you for this. I love the sea, I love the cat, I love the poem. The sun is shining and I'd really like to go for a paddle right now!

Malcolm Drysdale said...

Gladstone said: "It is better to write one word upon the rock than a thousand on the water..." In effect, you've done both here and in the most articulate way.

Steve Rowland said...

Harry - the 'reaction' buttons disappeared as part of the 'upgrade' to a 'better' version of Blogger.

Regarding Iris Murdoch's novels, I wouldn't consider them 'high brow' just because they were written by an academic and philosopher. I always found them very readable and often very funny. 'The Sea, the Sea' is probably not the best place to start. I would suggest: 'The Bell' or 'A Fairly Honourable Defeat' or my favourite or all, 'The Black Prince'. Happy reading ;-)

Brad Gekowski said...

Nicely done, Water Portrait. I like it.

Tom Shaw said...

I remember you wrote me one time about a certain amount of craziness going down with your lady. I figure she's your water portrait. Reminds me of what NY sang - "this much madness is too much sorrow". You're surely in a better place now?

Beth Randle said...

A lovely blog, a clever funny/sad poem and a naughty cat! What a wonderful read.

Ben Templeton said...

So sorry to hear you're in Tier 3 lockdown. What a bummer, though I suspect it will come to all of us before long. As you said so eloquently in this and other blogs, at least you have the sea on your doorstep. That's a fine poem as a departure from narratives for a while. Stay upbeat and poetic.

Saskia Parker said...

A lovely poem Steve (and a lovely sea cat). 🌊

Rochelle said...

Fascinating Steve. I'm also an Iris Murdoch fan. How interesting that you know someone to whom she dedicated a novel - I must look that up. I liked your wave poem - unpredictable, that's for sure. Stay safe in T3.

Doug R said...

I hate to say that Chesham is further from the sea than HH, but it is a hotly debated matter which is best resolved by upping sticks and relocating away from the inner void to the edges! Jewel of the North or South is not the matter, but being in a Jewel by The Sea, The Sea to salvage what Sanity may still exist! Doug in Bournemouth

Penny Lockhart said...

I remember holidays on the north-east coast as kids. Is there somewhere called Goswick near Holy Island? Lovely sand but the sea too cold to swim in even in summer. A fascinating blog and a clever and charming poem. Thanks for sharing.

Mac said...

Love the sea cat and fell for Iris when I read The Flight from the Enchanter at 18.

Hannah Wrigley said...

I enjoyed the blog and the artful poetry. ⭐️

Zoe Nikolopoulou said...

Thank you Steve. I really enjoy your posts and this was no exception. Interesting reflections and an intriguing poem. Zoe.

Debbie Laing said...

A most enjoyable blog. I love the idea of your poem and the unpredictability it conveys. Thanks also for the suggested Iris Murdoch titles in your comment above. She's a gap in my reading (one of many).

Howie Schroeder said...

I loved the blog Steve. A breath of fresh air to read. Keep sending the links and stay well my friend.

Brett Cooper said...

Interesting. Your sea cat looks too sweet and surprised to ever turn the tides!

Sahra Carezel said...

I used to enjoy going to visit my grandparents who still lived on Malta when I was a girl. That sparkling blue Mediterranean sea holds so many precious memories. Hos dare anyone call it stinking or soupy! I loved your poem. 💙

Max Page said...

Very good. I enjoyed your blog and the extended metaphor of your Water Portrait poem. Women eh? (Some of them, anyway).

Gemma Gray said...

I wholeheartedly endorse what you say about the sea. I live too far away from it. I loved the cat and the clever, quirky poem too. 👍