written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 8 October 2020

The Sea

 I was born in Blackpool in 1958 and there is nothing that inspires me more than a drive along the promenade - car windows open, wind blowing the waves. My darling Dad, (who was also a 'sandgrown'un'), told me that if you ever feel low, there is nothing better than the air at the end of North pier. He said, "It's worth a pound a bucketful". 

For all its beauty, the sheer power of the sea is awesome. I remember the devastation of the tsunami that hit Sri Lanka one Boxing Day. When the sea invades the land, there is only one winner. Man has no defence against it. We can build walls, create sea defences but ultimately we are susceptible to its will. 

On 28 – 29 October 1927, serious flooding happened in the Fleetwood area. More than 1,800 properties became inundated with sea water and sadly, six people lost their life. At the time it was the worst flood that the Fylde Coast had ever experienced.

It was what you might call a ‘perfect storm’. The winds were gale force 12, reaching 80mph. The 32′ tide was about seven feet higher than predicted. Most of the town was under seawater following this flooding in Fleetwood in 1927.

Drafted in to help was a fleet of small rowing boats, many of them borrowed from Stanley Park lake. The boats ferried supplies to the hundreds of people stranded at home, while they were unable to get out.

The deep water persisted for three days before it started to subside.


My poem was inspired by the 1927 flood. I wrote it during my spell as Wyre Poet in Residence in 2013.


And Oh The Sea

And oh the sea,
the sand filled sea
that crowds into the estuary,
raising levels as it flows,
flooding marshland cratered lows.
Where herring gulls send piercing cries,
cutting through the cloud swept skies.
Drifting, lifting, ebbing ‘caws’,
shrill between the breakers’ roars.
Jostling on the sandbank mound,
       beaking mackerel
       mashed in mud,
with violent currents swirling round.

And oh the sea,
the wretched sea
that raises crests to break upon
the mother cradling little one,
who waves eternally from shore
to seamen lost forevermore.
An older child arm braced to chest,
skirts clinging to their cold bronze legs,
a wind-break to the red-legg’d terns,
       wading surf
       filled with foam
gripping sand-logged esplanade.

And oh the sea,
the destructive sea
that overflowed through cobbled row
to flood the cottages below
and lifted logs from port to town
breaking doors
and pouring down,
filling all with filth and grime:
Retreating left a salty line
       engraved on walls
       etched on hearts
in memory for all of time.

And oh the sea,
the abundant sea
that brought the trawlers’ catch to land
to feed the hungry factory hand
to women weaving trusty nets,
with fateful hearts and faint regrets,
to catch the hake for fish and chips
to open mouths and licking lips,
sustenance piled on a plate
       or newsprint wrap
       with mushy peas.
It kept the war torn Nation great.

And oh the sea,
the turbulent sea
that ebbs and flows through history.
Ships at sail, then pleasure steam,
trips that built the childhood dream.
       Bringer of happiness
       taker of life
widow-maker of Fleetwood wife.

And oh the sea,
the relentless sea
       with power to shape our destiny
it takes the very breath from me.

Thanks for reading. Adele

 

5 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Excellent Adele. I've always loved the ebb and flow and evocative imagery of your And Oh the Sea poem - best heard read aloud for cumulative effect.

Miriam Fife said...

I love your poem.

Kate Eggleston-Wirtz said...

Lovely Adele :)
I had no idea about the floods. What a tragedy however a reminder that the power of nature is
greater than human kind. I enjoyed your poem, cleverly written as always. :)

Jacq Slater said...

Amazing account and photograph and a powerful poem. 👍

Unknown said...

Hello friends,I am ALISHA ROSS, This is my testimony on how my ex lover come back to me..i want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to ZUMA ZUK solution home for bringing back my lover who left me for almost 2 year,i feel like my life is completely over, so one day as i was searching on the internet for recommend spell caster who will help me to bring my lover back, Finally i met a writing how so many testimony talking about how ZUMA ZUK help to restore relationship back,so i decided to give it a try so i contacted the spell caster called ZUMA ZUK Blog http://wealthylovespell.blogspot.com and explain my problems to him,and he cast spell love spell luckily within 24 hours my lover really called me and started apologizing for all he had caused me.and be begging me to accept him back and will are living together and happily married, I am the happiest woman on earth today because ZUMA ZUK has done a wonderful deeds in my life and i will continue to share this testimony, i pray God almighty give you the strength and wisdom to help more people having similar problem like mine, contact him. Email spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com Call or Whats App +15068001647