written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 12 December 2020

Saturday Night Sauce

Bevvy, booze, bracer, brew, dram, firewater, grog, hooch, lotion, nip, potion,  sauce , shot, slug, snifter, spirit, swilker, tincture, tipple, wackjuice - all synonyms for a drink or several of the alcoholic variety (though that last one sounds a bit dodgy to me).

Yes, I know it's only a couple of weeks since I was blogging about whisky, but I've done sauces (most recently in June of this year, onion Sauce Soubise; and before that Catsup, way back in August 2015 if you'd like to sample it: "happiness can be a Catsup state of mind") and so tonight I'm going to stand you all a round of tales of mystery and inebriation. Pull a stool up to the bar.


I've only thrice in my life been really drunk  - and I'm not sure whether that's something to be proud of or not. I'll regale you with the details shortly. I grew up in a tee-total household and although I like a drink it does unnerve and upset me to see people getting totally paralytic. I expect there's a residual puritan lurking in my make-up. An ex-brother-in-law literally drank himself to death (acute alcoholic poisoning) and an ex-sister-in-law nearly burned her house down because she passed out from too much white wine while she was cooking dinner. More generally in my experience, many people once they get beyond the funny/happy/mellow stage of being inebriated start to become quite unpleasant; and if they stop short of turning nasty, they are still likely to be a danger to themselves and a liability to others; though admittedly such escapades can have their funny side in retrospect - and it's the funny side we need right now, agreed?

Let's get my own tales of extreme inebriation out of the way to begin with. They all occurred when I was in my twenties, by the way. The first was at a New Year's Eve party when I made the mistake of drinking on an empty stomach. After several hours, pints, whatever, the room was spinning and I realised I was outrageously drunk and was going to throw up. Finding the bathroom occupied I did the sensible next-best thing and staggered into the back garden where the cold air merely intensified that reeling feeling and I proceeded to re-empty my stomach into the fish pond. (I never did find out if there was an aftermath.) 

A couple of  years later I was invited back by 6th formers at the school in Devon where I'd done my teaching practice, to their Christmas Party in ye olde village pub. When everyone in your A-level class wants to buy you a pint and a whisky chaser for introducing them to the delights of William Blake, it's rude to refuse. At some point late in the evening I went to the Gents across the pub yard but somehow got lost on my way back to the bar (I hadn't even realised I was drunk) and just curled up behind some beer barrels in the quadrangle for a while to converse with angels. Everyone thought I must have gone off, alone or with somebody. When I woke up at four in the morning it was extremely cold, for I was minus the fur coat that I'd worn to the pub. (It was never seen again, by the way. Someone must have taken a shine to it.) At least I managed to remember where and who I was staying with in Okehampton and they'd kindly left their front door on the latch for me.

The final sorry tale dates from circa 1980 when my girlfriend and I met up with Frances Barber, then just an up-and-coming young actress, and her date for a few beers at our local pub in Hackney (London Fields to be precise). When I let slip that I'd written a school play I was sent home to fetch the script and we proceeded to entertain the few regulars who were in the Albion that night with an impromptu reading fuelled by pints of London Pride. My recollection is hazy but apparently by closing time I was lying with my head in Frances' lap as she stroked my hair and told me we were going to be famous one day. It turns out she was partly right (and my girlfriend forgave me the next morning).

I'm saving the best two till last and they are not about me, but concern work colleagues. I've changed their names just on the long-shot that someone reading this might know them. The first concerns 'Andrew' who worked with me at Kodak in Harrow in the 1990s. 'Andrew' used to commute to work by train and therefore going for a few bevvies on a Friday after work didn't present any logistical problems for him. He usually called it a night after a couple of hours and four or five pints and off he'd go to catch the train back to his long-suffering (her words) wife. On the occasion of his 40th birthday however, he made a real night of it and staggered off to the station at closing-time on auto-pilot. He stumbled out of the train at Leighton Buzzard (this is going to give it away) some time after midnight  and tottered home only to struggle fitting his key into the lock. Befuddled, he rang the bell expecting his wife to come down and let him in, when an upstairs window opened and a man shouted down "What the fuck do you want?" Unfortunately for 'Andrew', auto-pilot had led him to the house he used to live in until they'd moved to Hemel Hempstead six months earlier. It ended up being an expensive taxi-ride home, especially as he was charged extra for being sick in the cab. (Thanks Jenny for telling all later at his expense.)

Finally, let me introduce 'Baxter'. 'Baxter' was working for me when we were implementing a project in Paris just after the millennium. We were all staying in one of those chic city-centre Novotels for a couple of weeks during cut-over. On the night in question, after too much French 'sauce' (Kronenbourg 1664) in the hotel bar, 'Baxter' awoke in a drunken stupor dying for a pee. In his inebriated state he turned the wrong way in heading for the bathroom and opened the door into the corridor by mistake. Before he realised this error of orientation, the door closed behind him and he stood naked in the passage. His chief imperative being to empty his bursting bladder, he wandered along until he found a door marked exit, depressed the bar and went out onto the fire-escape to relieve himself. Of course that door closed behind him in the process, leaving the unfortunate 'Baxter' only one option as he gazed unsteadily into the Parisian night. He had to climb down three flights of fire-escape stairs in the altogether before presenting himself sheepishly at reception, hands clasped in front of him, with a cock-and-bull story that he was prone to sleep-walking, He couldn't remember his room number but he hadn't forgotten his name so the receptionist was able to check the system and issue him with a new room key. 'Baxter' didn't re-surface until the afternoon. When I was told of his exploits (because by the evening he thought it was hilarious), I went to apologise to the receptionist and she very matter-of-factly told me that it happened all the time, men en deshabille getting locked out of hotel rooms. Only in France, I thought to myself.


To conclude this Saturday night on the sauce, here's something slightly more light-hearted than the recent end-of-the-world angst poetry. This latest is from that quarter of the Imaginarium marked party central. It's not strictly autobiographical (just to clarify), though I'm sure many of us have been there or thereabouts in our more tender years...

Morning After
That was some crazy party!
Last thing I remember...
...talking with two girls in the garden
about astral projection. Was it possible?
The dreamy one drawled
we are so small between the stars
so large against the sky;* and now
I've woken up in a strange bed
with tight skin and a fogged head. 
I'm hoping that it's Sunday.

Hello you with your hair strewn across
both pillows. I can't remember your name
if ever I knew. You're not the dreamy one
but you're still sleeping, or else doing 
a good job of pretending. Here you go.
Awkward smiles exchanged and a sigh.
I ask if I made it with you last night.
(I really can't remember). You feel
between your legs and say
well somebody did.

And later over eggs and coffee
in that ashtray of a kitchen I smile again
across the table, though it hurts my face
and say I'd like to know you better.
You jump up muttering I need to go,
my Mum's at home looking after baby;
and I'm left sitting there alone,
a trace of your stale Chanel in the air
wondering whose house this is
and hoping that it's Sunday.

*I am indebted to Leonard Cohen for those two wonderful lines (from 'Stories of the Street' ).

Thanks for reading. Be of good cheer, S ;-)

58 comments:

Pamela Winning said...

Brilliant, as always 😁 great poem, too 🙂

Matt West said...

You're right pal. Been there, done that (all of them except that play thing and the French caper). You got to laugh!

Jeanie Buckingham said...

Some women! Really! Only too willing to sleep with you and then won't see you again afterwards.

Kevin Sterling said...

Reading this the morning after the night before (so to speak) with tea and toast and not coffee and eggs - had me laughing out loud for the brazen folly of youth, my own included. God but we were young once! Excellent stuff Steve.

CI66Y said...

I suppose getting stoned is not the same as getting drunk then? ;D

Steve Rowland said...

There you have me Clive! ;-)

Nigella D said...

That was so funny Steve, especially as no lasting damage was done to anyone (except maybe some fish in a pond?) and your poem, imagined or not, has the ring of truth. Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Droll as ever, Mr R. 👍

Rod Downey said...

Great blog Steve, loved the anecdotes and the poem. Just one thing, only thrice drunk? Do you not remember the ceremony of burying the lamp-post on campus???

Jon Cromwell said...

As always, superbly written and thoroughly entertaining. 👍👍👍

The Existentialist said...

Drink makes idiots of us all :)

Lizzie Fentiman said...

I lived with an alcoholic for several years but that's an entirely different proposition from your amusing tales of occasional drunkenness. Human beings are a funny breed.

Stu Hodges said...

Very good Steve, and as someone has rightly commented, your poem has the universal ring of truth.

Brian Cassell said...

I say respect to 'Baxter'. He sounds a real cool customer (LOL). Great blog Steve. I raise my glass to you.

Billy Banter said...

Isn't wackjuice like handshandy?

Mac Southey said...

Loved the anecdotes and the manner of their telling. I thought the poem was spot on too. Haven't we all known nights before and mornings after like that one, boys and girls? Keep the blogs coming Steve, you're always a treat to read.

Emily Blythe said...

Amusing tales well told. I suspect I may have some of that same puritan streak Steve. Several of my erstwhile female friends got into a habit of drinking way too much wine when we got together and either becoming bitchy or just embarrassing in public so I stopped seeing them socially. I don't know at what point someone becomes an alcoholic but a couple of them looked like they were well on the way and it's not pleasant.

Laxmiben Hirani said...

Our cool dude!! Did not expect anything else from you.

Gemma Gray said...

Those of us now in our 50s and 60s were lucky enough to inhabit a sort of sexual golden age between the arrival of the contraceptive pill and the appearance of AIDS. We were so fortunate to be able to love freely and without fear.

Tyger Barnett said...

Ooh, that's a cruel tease, blogging about bars, booze and parties as we get dragged into tier 3. However, this was hugely entertaining and I love the poem. Stay well Steve.

Ben Templeton said...

Fab blogging Steve and a wonderfully observed and warm poem..."talking with two girls in the garden about astral projection. Was it possible?" Hilarious. We really did that shit back then.

Binty said...

I loved reading all of those tales of mystery and inebriation. Thank you Steve, you've brightened up my gloomy afternoon with your wit and poetry.

Boz said...

Just sobering up from last evening, la. The Reds go marching on. Fab tales 'n' poetry. 👍

Amber Molloy said...

Fabulous cautionary blogging and poem. I'm impressed you know Frances Barber, one of my favourite actresses.

Martin Brewster said...

Hugely entertaining blog. Full-on schadenfreude in the Brewster household. I can identify with the bitter-sweet hangover poem as well.

Steve Rowland said...

Rod: I only heard about the lamp-post burial after the event. I was laid up in bed at the time full of antibiotics.

Grant Trescothick said...

Very funny read, that. All I can say is that you appear to have been remarkably well-behaved in your life (LOL). 👍 👍 👍

terry quinn said...

Oh did I enjoy this blog Steve. Memories flooding back of similar times. I think that line 'I'm hoping it's Sunday' is perfect. But now I'm wondering should I have that Guinness that's waiting for me.

Anna Gaelan said...

Love it!

Mike Dell said...

Fabulously funny young Stephen.

Brad Gekowski said...

Our relationship with alcohol is a tricky one (never heard it called sauce before, must be a very British thing). My sister is an alcoholic, had her kids taken away from her for a while in her thirties. She's clean now, went to rehab, but she knows not to touch a drop again or she will be right back in the pit. There was not much funny about any of her episodes.

Kate Eggleston-Wirtz said...

Such a fun read - Paris story hilarious - great way to wake up :)

Beth Randle said...

What a fab and funny post. I loved the tales and the beautifully phrased poem. Merry Christmas Steve, thanks for all the blogs.

Jambo said...

Brilliant blog! Merry Crimble!

Nick Ball said...

Entertaining as ever, beautifully written and I love the poem (clever title too).

Sarah said...

Ha ha, that was very entertaining Steve....thank you for brightening my Saturday! I too have done some silly things but I can't even blame the most memorable ones on alcohol.....*sigh* however it would probably need alcohol for me to admit to them! Have a very happy Christmas.
Sarah D 🎄

Luke Taylor said...

Just watched the latest emergency press conference killing Christmas and I want to get drunk! Your blog was very funny but the its power to divert has been stymied by BoJo.

Mitch Carragher said...

Well done Steve. I greatly enjoyed your tales of inebriation and that's a brilliant poem :)

Harry Lennon said...

Hilarious anecdotes Steve and lovely 'confused' poetry. Well done. Merry Christmas (if that's still possible) and may 2021 not be too sh!t.

Peter Fountain said...

That was a very funny post :D Sadly it seems as though it will be many months again before we can pull a seat up to a bar or have a house party. What strange (and sobering) times we live in.

Anonymous said...

Fabulously funny tales and a wonderful poem. I loved it Steve. Merry Christmas to you and Adele and thanks for the poetry nights, especially this year.

Jay Henderson said...

Thank you for that. Yes we need the funny side right now. You're a star. ⭐️

Ross Madden said...

Thanks for sending the links Steve. I've enjoyed reading your blogs these last few years. This one made me chuckle in several places. Well done and Merry Christmas.

Hannah Wrigley said...

Great blog! Schadenfreude with a risky chaser :)

Jen McDonagh said...

Very funny accounts Steve and a lovely witty, wistful poem. I hope you have a great Christmas.

Dan Ewers said...

Ho! Ho! Ho! Thank you, you've just de-stressed my Christmas Eve. I loved the blog. All the best to you for this festive (?) season.

Kylie Davenport said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours Steve and thank you for a year of brilliant blogs. x

Tony Sedgwick said...

Very good Steve, really enjoyed all of this.

Malcolm Drysdale said...

I'm with you Steve. I can still recall hangovers from hell from my own 20s which kept reminding me that getting legless wasn't the best plan. I can certainly relate to your poem as well.

Rick H. said...

You recommended Jason Isbell to me and I got his latest for Christmas. Brilliant! This verse jumped out at me in connection with your blog: "Last night I dreamed that I'd been drinking/ Same dream I have about twice a week/ I had one glass of wine/ I woke up feeling fine/ That's how I knew it was a dream" (from It Get's Easier).

Anonymous said...

Funny blog, brilliant poem! Happy New Year Saturday Blogger.

Jem Straker said...

Reading that made me want to crack open a beer...so I did. Then I read it again. Very funny accounts and what a great poem. I can relate to that. Now for a second beer.

Carey Jones said...

Your tales of inebria were hugely entertaining. I especially liked the Frances Barber one and your wistful comment about that. Fame is not everything (LOL). Your poem captured a time in all our lives so well. Great blog.

Colin Hawkswell said...

Loved the anecdotes of drunkenness, impressed that you used to knock around with acting royalty and thought your poem was wittily observational.

Steve Rowland said...

Thanks Col. Like I said FB wasn't yet acting royalty when I knew her ;-)

John Dunn said...

A highly amusing read and a poem we can all relate to!

Bill Dexter said...

Very funny blog and a great poem. Yes I've been there. 😁

Anonymous said...

Hilarious and so true!