written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 3 April 2021

Retiring Minds

Last Easter, which was a week later than this one, we were already into our first national Coronavirus lockdown. What a bizarre twelve months it has proved to be. When I was thinking about what to write about  retirement  on a beautifully sunny Easter Saturday in 2021, as we're all in various stages of readiness to creep cautiously out of our retreats again, long-haired, vaccinated and undoubtedly changed by the experience, it struck me that for people of a certain age (let's be generous and say the over 50s), this has been like a practice-run for 'old age'.

Semi-incarcerated in our homes for months, having to adapt to a more circumscribed and slower pace of life, we've developed strategies to keep bodies and minds fit. Many people signed up to online gym, pilates or yoga classes. When I couldn't go to the gym I eventually cancelled my membership and bought an exercise bike which I ride daily in the conservatory, come rain or shine. When we couldn't meet up for poetry or music events we took them online too, via Zoom or other participatory platforms. When we couldn't go to the cinema we watched way more films, drama series and documentaries on our smart TVs. We've read more (thank you Abe Books and Amazon), done more crosswords and maths puzzles, any and everything to help maintain mental and physical health - use it or lose it - to stop us sliding prematurely into senility. 

keeping mind and body fit in retirement
We may have modified the ways we think, we may have changed the ways we eat, all for the better one hopes, in an attempt to stay healthier longer - becoming more philosophical, eating more cheese, looking to postpone our mental end-date, that fateful future point when our minds start to retire.

Did you know that if you interrogate Google or Wikipedia for a list of French cheeses it will return over six hundred different varieties? That's enough to give Liz 'the Cheese' Truss* nightmares. And an online search for French philosophers generates a list with four hundred and fifty names on it. Combining such random samplings suggests to me the French may be the most philosophical nation on Earth (as well as the biggest cheese-eaters). 

Consequently, when it came to something poetic for the week-end, I thought: do you know what? They deserve a poem, or at least the Existentialists among them do. Here it is then, an imagined narrative about the sunset of retiring minds, in all its Gallic tragi-comic glory...

Strange Days At The Maison D'Etre
Jean-Paul Sartre has been a bit tart lately,
didn't like being told not to smoke his pipe
in bed. "It is not a pipe", he said.
He claims he vapes and what's the harm?
But when the alarm goes off, such chaos.
"These people make me sick", he confided
to Simone, thinking he shouldn't have to
fight the fascists more than once in his life.

And as for Miss de Beauvoir, her behaviour
has been giving the team cause for concern.
The second sex is mentioned in the lounge
she rolls her hips, unzips her skirt and starts 
to flirt like a fishwife with residents, staff, 
even visitors, this once so dutiful daughter
then beautiful siren of Free France. Only
the Outsider is never target for her charms.

Poor Albert Camus is a stranger to himself
these days, a silent man, confused spirit
in a rangy goalkeeper's body, wandering
the grounds, fielding his invisible footballs.
He doesn't know it but he's waiting for the
full-time whistle to blow. Still physically
fit, he dresses himself, polishes his boots
almost religiously, but that's about the limit.

So Jean-Paul, Simone and Albert, comrades
of a great resistance long ago, creators of
their own essential twentieth century selves 
barely exist now, wait hardly philosophical
for reprieve, a happy or a very easy death.
But on sunny afternoons, old Pere Voltaire 
can sometimes be seen digging the garden. 
Funny how he seems to linger timeless on.

*I couldn't sign off without giving you another chance to chuckle at Liz the Cheese, the uncoolest woman ever to hold high office. To watch her making a cringeworthy fool of herself with that speech to the Conservative Party Conference faithful, just click on the link>>> the appalling Liz Truss 

Thanks for reading, S ;-)

50 comments:

Bill Parry said...

Like many humour-mongers of my vintage, I never think of SdB as anything other than MRS JEAN-PAUL SARTRE (to be bellowed with gusto). I believe she's in the Paris Directory ;D

Nicci Haralambous said...

That's just brilliant Steve. ❤️

Flloydwith2Ells said...

Yesy! Thoroughly enjoyed this, the blog post and especially the poem. I listen to some philosophy programmes, trying to keep up with contemporary thought, and after a few episodes concerning "philosophy of swimming" or "philosophy of gardening" I yearn for a proper existentialistic rigorous debunking of them all.

The Existentialist said...

Now that's what I call blogging! (LOL)

Nigella D said...

Loved the latest poem Steve.

Stu Hodges said...

Not a mention for Rene Descartes (the drunken fart IIRC). Great blog, fab poem. Horrible Liz Truss! (LOL)

Ross Madden said...

Maison D'Etre - brilliant concept. Such a clever poem, but it has an emotional impact as well and that Voltaire reference makes it nicely ambiguous. I loved it. And we can all get our hair cut next week. Happy days. 👏

Jen McDonagh said...

Very good Steve. You've summed up the rehearsal nicely. I know nothing about French philosophers but can recognise immediately the care home caricatures (as I'm sure anybody who has visited relatives in such places will do).

Mac Southey said...

Liz Truss is surely a suitable case for early retirement! The latest poem is terrific - well done.

Jeanie Buckingham said...

You certainly have managed to pack more in to your solitary confinement than I have mine. Well done! I obviously could have done with a few tips. Loved the poem, I like a Croque Monsieur as much as anyone :D

Anonymous said...

Formidable, Monsieur R. 😃

Kevin Sterling said...

Great blog Steve and a good metaphor for the last twelve months. I suspect that we're going to shift into hybrid mode now (like the much vaunted next generation of cars), mixing face-to-face with virtual so as not to lose some of the very real gains of zoom over geography. Not travelling to poetry or music gigs, football matches etc etc is greener and has allowed a wider demographic to participate. It would be a shame to lose that and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Frida Mancour said...

I love the conceptual genius 0f the Maison D'Etre as a care home for fading Existentialist philosophers, and the way you've alluded to both their attributes and their works in the poem. Very clever, but also fun and touching at the same time. ❤️🤍💙

Luke Taylor said...

Jeez Steve, that's good.

Rod Downey said...

Most entertaining Steve and well up with your best quirky takes on life, the inverse & etc. I suspect we will be venturing out somewhat shakily in the next few weeks, waiting to get our normal legs back.

Maria Byrne said...

Love this ❤️

Rochelle said...

Loved the idea and execution of the poem. Very good Steve.

terry quinn said...

Creeping cautiously out is the phrase that resonates with me. Terrific and idea and poem.

Peter Fountain said...

The Monty Python crew would be proud of you. 😃 That's a great poem. 👍

Lizzie Fentiman said...

I so enjoy your blogs every week. For me the poem worked on several levels. Yes it's funny and a clever imagining of JPS, SdB and AC 'losing it' in old age but it's also more universal in its depiction of what happens as our minds 'retire' as you phrased it. It's bitter-sweet and brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

Deke Hughes said...

A great blog again this week. I love the poem. It's a cracking idea and to build in all those references and book titles etc, so clever. I raise my chapeau :)

Debbie Laing said...

I know nothing about French existentialist philosophers. I've learned that one sounded tart. one acted the tart and one had lost his tart (LOL) but thankfully your poem had a lot more substance than that. As at least one other person has commented, we all know from visiting our own relatives in care homes that grumpy, flirty and vacant are not uncommon afflictions of old men and women. Of course I've no idea who Pere Voltaire was either. I imagined him like Mr Rusty in the Magic Roundabout. Seriously though, I think you've done a tremendous job with this, a poem that can be enjoyed and mean something to people who haven't got a clue on one level as to what you're on about. Bravo Steve.

Celia M said...

Lockdown as rehearsal? I think I've got my part down pat! I agree we will emerge cautiously for much has changed. I thought the poem was very well conceived. Well done.

Jon McLeod said...

I very much enjoyed your blog piece and poem. I particularly liked your disconsolate Camus.

Dan Francisco said...

Real good Steve. Is JPS quoting your favorite Belgian surrealist with that line about Ceci n'est pas une pipe? Hoping so buddy.

Brett Cooper said...

Enjoyed the latest blog. Thanks for sharing. We are watching the UK with interest (as one of the countries with highest vaccination rate) to see what post-lockdown might look like. Your poem certainly made me smile and I like the reference to Candide at the close and the ambiguity of the ending.

Miriam Fife said...

I enjoyed (of course) your cautionary blog and laughed out loud several times reading that splendid poem, humour with a caring heart. Well done.

Andy D. said...

Very good Steve. Do you remember going to see Sartre's play 'Huis Clos' at Cambridge Arts Theatre circa 1970? I think the Maison D'Etre would be the ideal setting :)

Cynthia said...


Really enjoyed blog and poem particularly Camus

CI66Y said...

Excellent Steve. The blog is a neat summation of our year in rehearsal for retirement, though some of us are already there! I really enjoyed your poem, its clever concept, the almost circular construct whereby one verse introduces the focal character of the next, some audacious lines and rhymes, the wit, black humour and yet affection with which you depict the imagined sunset of some of the greatest philosophical minds of the 20th century. I think it's up there with your best.

Lois Hayburn said...

Sartre famously said (I believe) "Hell is other people" so I can understand him not conforming well to your imagined retirement home for old existentialists - brilliant idea and poem, btw. However, your blog about our year in isolation also suggests that hell might equally be the absence of other people. I don't know if you had that polarity in mind as you wrote, but I enjoyed your post immensely.

Binty said...

Enfants terrible enjoy second childhood! :D

Matt West said...

Can't wait for us to get back to Bloomfield Road. That's the biggest step forward for me. I expect your poem is very good but I don't know French or who the people are. (LOL)

Natalija Drozdova said...

I really enjoyed your take on lockdown, especially now the end is in sight, and the poem is brilliant, very cleverly done. 👏

Kylie Davenport said...

Agreed about Liz Truss, awful woman. I love your poem about the existentialists' sunset years. I think you imagined Sartre and Camus right but you've maybe been a bit harsh on poor Miss de Beauvoir...though coupling Beauvoir with behaviour was a touch of class ;)

Seb Politov said...

Loved the poem Steve. Is the inference (Voltaire at the end) that they will never be allowed to die? And is that hell? Clever if so.

Lindi Schnaubell said...

A rest home for old existentialists - what a brilliant notion! I love what you've made of it, a funny but affectionate take :)

Harry Lennon said...

Well Steve, we all do what we can to try and stay 'forever young'. It's a mental thing as much as a physical one. I love the Maison D'Etre poem. It has some killer lines: "shouldn't have to fight the fascists more than once in his life", "the second sex is mentioned in the lounge" (very clever), "fielding his invisible footballs". It's brilliantly done! Stay philosophical :)

Lesley Harrison said...

What a fabulous poem. 👏

Caroline Asher said...

Huis Clos as a care home - brilliant and you've staged it so well Steve. I loved it.

Bella Jane Barclay said...

Will we ever feel normal again? And what is normal anymore? Philosophical questions - I hope you approve. I loved the poem at face value when I first read it. It's beautifully constructed. I loved it even more when I'd googled a little about Sartre, De Beauvoir and Camus and could appreciate just what you'd done with it - both clever and moving.

Sahra Carezel said...

Super poetry Steve ❤️ You write so well.

Max Page said...

Very good Steve. I think you've nailed the lockdown experience for many of us. Caution is the watchword as we emerge and recovery will be a long time coming. I thought your imagined old existentialists poem was brilliant. Well done.

Anonymous said...

I love the poem! It almost had me singing the Marseillaise :)

Dani Merakli said...

That's a fair reflection on our last year! Your poem is wonderfully inventive and no knowledge of French philosophers is required to gain the truths of care homes you reveal therein. Excellent.

Mitch Carragher said...

Loved the poem...Maison D'Etre - what a brilliant idea. 👏

Tony Sedgwick said...

A great read and a clever, funny, perceptive poem. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Ciara Murphy said...

I listened to you reading this poem last night. It's beautiful (and you performed it so well).

Anonymous said...

Brilliant poetry - smart, touching, works on many levels. Most impressive.

Jay Henderson said...

Sums up a year under Covid regs for me. Also I really like what you've done with the poem. So clever. 👏👏👏