written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 20 November 2021

Pulling The Wool

I must apologise up front for the fact that very little of  this Saturday Blog will be about knitting. It hasn't featured prominently in my life and I don't have a lot to say on the topic. In fact it all fits into the following paragraph...

The first time I knitted anything was when I was six, at infants' school. Somehow I managed to make a pullover for my teddy-bear. I used brown wool that I suppose my mother had given me. My friend Janet Hill had to do the casting on and off for me. Teddy actually wore the pullover for a while, so it must have ended up as a reasonable approximation - unless he was just being kind, as was I in my teens when my mother used to knit me ghastly, unfashionable items of knitwear, baggy things with different length sleeves. Six was also the last time I knitted anything. And that's that. I feel as if I'm pulling the wool.

So let me head off at a slight tangent and talk about a couple of legitimately wool-related things:-

Thing the first is knitwear. I don't have much of it as I don't like to be too hot, and woollen items tend to be thick and on the prickly side. (Of course I'm excluding tangerine and white football scarves and hats.) I have a sleeveless pullover in natural 'black sheep' wool, in reality a mid grey; and a thicker 'sloppy joe' jumper in a darker 'black sheep' wool - though I haven't worn the latter this century as far as I can recall - must be a global warming signifier. They both came from the Black Sheep farm shop at Ingworth in Norfolk. I do love black sheep.

I don't like bright woollens (football regalia excluded) and I hate knitwear with pictures on! You'll never catch me sporting a 'Christmas' jumper. They are anathema to me. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

knitted in their own wool
Thing the second is the Merino sheep. I had always believed that sheep would shed their fleeces if they were not sheared - just as hairy cats moult in spring so as to be cooler in summer. I thought that was nature's design. Not so, apparently, with domesticated breeds of sheep. If they are not shorn in spring then one year's growth becomes two and so on. Of course that usually doesn't happen unless a sheep escapes and goes rogue. It has been a particular and attention grabbing problem with a series of Merino sheep in Australia. The Merino has a naturally dense and soft fleece, for which it is prized. So much so that in Spain where it originated, there was a strict law for centuries preventing its export. However the world moved on and now Merinos and Merino crosses are found on every continent, including the antipodes.

The problem for Australian Merinos when they stray off into the wild is that distances are so vast, there is a good chance they won't be relocated again for years, if ever - and in the wilderness of the outback their fleeces just keep on growing...and growing...and growing - to the point that they become so thick and heavy the poor sheep can hardly breathe, let alone move.

There have been a few cases of monster Merinos being found after years in the Australian Wilds and they required not only shearing but medical attention and rehabilitation for weakened joints. Take a look at the graphic below. When one considers that an average Merino fleece weights about 4.5 kilos, the fleeces taken from famous 'back from the wild' Merinos like Shaun, Shrek, Baarack and Chris (yes, they all get good press and pet names) have weighed in at between 20kilos and 41kilos - suggesting that they've gone between five and ten years without being shorn. And there may have been even weightier ones who've just collapsed under 50 kilo fleeces and died lonely Merino deaths undiscovered in the outback.  

monster Merinos and their yield
The quantity of good yarn an average Merino yields would be enough to knit seven natty jumpers. The quantity taken from the back of Chris weighed in as the world's heaviest fleece at 41 kilos and would have furnished enough yarn to knit over seventy jumpers. I thought you'd like to know that. If you want to see pictures of Shaun, Shrek, Baarack or Chris just Google e.g. 'Chris the Merino sheep'. I didn't want to post the pictures on my blog as they may have upset the readership.

I'll cast off another new poem, a bit on the dark side this one (I don't know why), ripe for a re-knitting probably:

Unravelling
   Hard to know when the snag occurred.
     Unremarked that first catching at the hem
       and you walked away never once looking
          back although you clearly guessed, as you
             overstepped at intervals the trail of thread
                that was unravelling upwards as you went.
                   Maybe you thought you'd get free of it all one day?
                      Who's to know and who's to say? It took years of course.
                          but in the end when once unwound to its full extent except for 
                             the collar knotted at your neck which tightened in a noose, your eyes
                                blazed terror like a spooked sheep, and you kept on walking, walking, walking
                                   till you choked and fell - but with such composure and singularity of purpose still.
                                               
            
 Thanks for reading. Stay warm, S ;-)

26 comments:

Rich Davenport said...

Loved the poem, noggin boggled by sheep facts! Many thanks for a fab read.

Nigella D said...

That's a lovely and thoughtful blog, but what a dark poem :(

Beth Randle said...

I saw something about that Merino sheep on the news a while ago (maybe the same clip that inspired you?). As for the 'dark' Unravelling, it made me think of Ibsen plays and oppressive lives lived.

Peter Fountain said...

Fascinating Merino facts. So have sheep evolved to need shearing in the last 5,000 years? Mind you, if we didn't cut our own hair it would just keep growing - so what did they and we do before there were scissors and shears? Well done, Steve. So much speculation awakened on a Monday morning by a 'knitting' blog! (LOL). I like your dark unwinding poem, quite a deep metaphor for something.

Binty said...

What a kind son you were. ๐Ÿ˜

Rod Downey said...

Lots of pulling the wool there. Most enjoyable.

Jenny Grant said...

I never knew that about sheep's wool that it just keeps growing. Not the best design. The poem is a bit of a stunner.

Jade Keillor said...

I love knitting. My Mum had one of those knitting machines but I've always knitted everything by hand. It's much more therapeutic. I even got into 'yarn bombing' during lockdown, if you know what that is. Your poem quite disturbed, but I suppose that was the intention.

Bickerstaffe said...

Steve, just so you're aware, I first read your blog on my phone and the poem is all over the place. I logged on just now from my PC and can see how you've set it out in stepped lines like an unravelling - thought you ought to be aware if not already that it won't look as you intended on some small screens. That's a shame because it's a very good poem and the sheep stuff was interesting.

Penny Lockhart said...

Your Infants' School teacher must have been quite progressive if he or she got the whole class knitting. I think that was unusual for the time (early 1960s I'm guessing from other things you've written). The monster Merino information is fascinating. I never knew they couldn't naturally shed their fleeces. That's a sad poem.

Miriam Fife said...

I've got a soft spot for black sheep too, Herdwicks in particular. I googled Chris. The poor beast looked horrendous with all that fleece on him. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Charlotte Mullins said...

You wouldn't like Christmas in our house. We all wear jolly jumpers! I always learn something fascinating from your blogs. I didn't know about the monster Merinos. Your poem was very dark. I hope everything is okay in the jewel of the north.

Yvonne S said...

I love knitting and I love this piece - but I only ever knit using wool, nowadays much less scratchy than the wool jumpers my mother made me. I never knew this about Merino sheep!

Mac Southey said...

Great blog Steve. I love the illustration of black-faced sheep and the witty caption. As for the strayed Merinos, that was new to me. It sounds horrendous, especially in a hot place like Australia. Finally, your Unravelling poem was very moving.

Boz said...

No garish Chrissy jumpers? You're just too cool, la! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Grant Trescothick said...

Interesting sheep stuff Steve. Mindful of the info you provided in your most recent blog (about greenhouse gas emissions from farm animals) I did some quick checking: cattle account for 75% of all livestock methane emissions and sheep only about 8%. Given that wool is a useful and renewable material let us hope it is not the end of the road for the sheep. By the way, like you I don't knit. That was a telling poem - speculation as to what inspired it?

Celia M. said...

I must say when I saw the week's theme I did wonder if you might skip this one - but well done, an entertaining blog and not a stitch dropped. (LOL)

Hazel Williams said...

Those poor sheep. That's a powerful poem of unravelling.

Writer21 said...

How cute about the sweater for teddy! I have a strange liking too for Baa Baa Black Sheep too.

Thank you for the info about a Black Sheep shop and merino sheep.

What a relief they must feel after being found!

Though a 'monster sheep' has been found in the UK.

It was an entertaining read.

As the party season approaches, the weather gets colder and people snuggle into pullovers can you recommend any knit wits to keep us amused?

Cynthia Kitchen said...

I agree wholeheartedly about Christmas jumpers and as I’m allergic to wool next to my skin tend to look for other materials. I liked the blog and your enigmatic poem, unusual for you? It reminded me of Mary Contrary a little, although a far more disturbing character, interesting!

Saskia Parker said...

Interesting wild woolliness. I never knew that about sheep. Your poem is dark and powerful.

terry quinn said...

I detest jumpers with pictures on as well.

I had no idea about the sheep stories.

Excellent poem

Josh Lonsdale said...

That poem is expertly executed, love the darkness, and the resolution.

Caroline Asher said...

You have such a brilliant way with words: "died lonely Merino deaths undiscovered" is so beautifully poignant, as is your poem about someone at the end of their tether. Bravo.

Harry Lennon said...

That'd a great poem.

Barry Hockaday said...

Fun sheep facts (though not so fun for the sheep I suppose). I liked the way you constructed your unravelling poem.