written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 8 January 2022

Witch Hazel

The plant we call witch hazel (hamamelis is its official Latin designation) has nothing to do with witches, for its name derives from the Middle English word wiche, meaning pliant or bendable, though the plant itself originates from North America and was brought to Europe by early voyagers to the New World. For the record, variants also exist in Japan and China, supportive of the theory that the Far East was connected to the Far West by a land corridor at some time in the distant past.

The fact that the leaves and bark of the witch hazel plant were used by the medicine men of Native American tribes also led to its widespread use and reputation in European folklore as an antiseptic and  homeopathic treatment, either in distilled liquid form or as a poultice, for various skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema. In fact it is still used today as an astringent in aftershaves and as an over-the-counter remedy against bee and wasp stings. That it was a folk remedy may have served to strengthen the incorrect etymological association between the plant and practitioners of witchcraft.

witch hazel in winter bloom
I once went out with a witch for a few months. Coincidentally, her name was Hazel. It was many moons ago, when I lived in Devon for a spell, acquiring my PGCE (post-graduate certification of education) qualification from Exeter university. Hazel came from a little local town and was on the same course as me. I never actually had any tangible proof that she was a witch, but nature had given her a good starting-point, that pre-Raphaelite Celtic provenance of long red hair and green eyes, augmented by a wardrobe of flowing Laura Ashley dresses, and she assumed the part well. She cultivated an aura of mystique, was heavily into folklore and pagan rites, could write runes, grew and used lots of herbs, had a love of nature and owned a familiar called Hovis. Oh, and a husband.

It was my first affair with a married woman, not that I knew as much at the outset of our relationship, not for several weeks, in fact. She was full of surprises. It was not that either of us made obvious overtures, it was more a case of a powerful attraction to each other's company that we were happy to go along with. You know how sometimes two people just click? I must have been pre-disposed to be bewitched and she called the shots, suggesting we went for coffee after classes, or that we go for a drive out to the coast on free afternoons (her car, I didn't drive in those days). She would also just turn up unexpectedly some evenings, occasionally at week-ends. I didn't have a phone either in those mad mid-'70s times, but she knew where I lived and took a chance on finding me there... or maybe she really did have powers beyond the normal! 

We'd read or write poetry together, listen to music (frequently James Taylor), drink wine out of the same glass, as often as not end up in bed in combination with any of the afore-mentioned. She bought me a copy of 'Mud Slide Slim And The Blue Horizon' inscribed "Celts & Vikings Together 4 Ever".

When she explained that she had a husband (an accountant I think) and was worried that she might have married too young (we were still both only 22 at the time), she also insisted that it was her problem to manage, that she'd understand if I wanted to end the affair, but she hoped we could continue. I think I was surprised but not shocked. I remember asking if her husband had any idea and she was adamant he didn't have a clue. I also asked her naively what she did when he wanted to make love with her and she replied "I just pretend it's you." We never spoke of him again, though I did meet him once, when I bumped into the two of them at a Fairport Convention concert in Exeter, and she just introduced me as someone on her course.

It all seems so weird looking back nearly half a century to that bright-burning year long liaison. Of course, as we approached the end of our third term, we were all looking for our first teaching jobs. I knew I wanted to live and work in London, inspired by the work that LATE (the London Association for the Teaching of English) was doing and by June I duly got a post at a comprehensive school in the north of the capital, starting in September. I told Hazel I'd be happy to get a flat together in London if that was what she wanted to do. 

We continued seeing each other as normal (or at least what passed for normal in our circumstances) until the end of July when the tenancy on my Exeter digs expired. By then she didn't have a job lined up and we talked about her just coming up to London anyway. I gave her my parents address and phone number because I'd be staying with them for the summer. There was no suggestion on either side that the last day we spent together that July would be the last time we saw each other. She phoned me a couple of times at my parents' house during August (from a phone box) to say how much she was missing me, she was working things through and hoped we would be together soon.

Some time in late September or early October (I don't recall exactly) when I was living in London and with the school term well under way, my parents forwarded a letter that had just arrived for me. It bore the postmark of a village in Suffolk but didn't contain an address inside. In it Hazel recounted how her husband had been transferred from Exeter to Ipswich, that she was applying for teaching jobs in Suffolk, that she felt utterly miserable and hoped we could see each other very soon. She'd let me know.

I never did hear from her again and I can only speculate about what transpired. I think about her affectionately from time to time (as when a blog theme about witches comes along) and hope that she's led a happy life. This little poem is, in a fashion, written in her memory, out of mine.

Witch Hazel
I suppose you bared your soul
when you shared those dark poems
of your deflowering, said you'd
opened up to me like never before,
felt for the first time alive
to the core of your being with love,
romance and passion. It's true
you possessed the capacity for all
of them in our happy months together
and if I was the one who enabled
you to feel such emotions, I'm glad.

I suppose you were a romantic
and fate had paired you in marriage
with a man who offered security
but not the key to the rich mystery 
you hoped life would be. Perhaps
I made it easy for you to cast a spell
in which your fantasies were realised
in our stolen hours, wild woods, walks
hand-in-hand on deserted shores,
a bedroom with curtains closed
and candles flaring in the afternoon.

I suppose as well in retrospect 
I knew that it would take some act
of bravery far beyond the strength 
of your slight sorcery for you to make
the one-way flight from safety 
to another life, to burn more brightly
but with few certainties or guarantees.
The call was always yours. I don't 
presume to judge that you chose 
to remain his wife. I hope you've
held in memory the happiness we had. 

Thanks for reading, S ;-)

42 comments:

Rod Downey said...

That's very candid.

Yvonne Winckley said...

Thank you for sharing this!

Matt West said...

I think you might have been had there, pal.

Frida Mancour said...

That was a moving account to read. Sometimes we never have an explanation. I liked your poem.

Anne Ward said...

Witch hazel is good for swellings and pain.

Billy Banter said...

Ha ha ha Anne Ward. Is that a euphemism?

Nigella D said...

Very interesting, an engrossing read for being written with candour and sensitivity.

Sahra Carezel said...

Wow Steve. You always write beautifully, but rarely as personally as in this piece. I like the artful way you've first decoupled and then recoupled the plant and the witch, and I love the latest poem.

Peter Fountain said...

Interesting. It sounds like there's a novel in there somewhere ('It didn't happen one summer'...) I like what you've done in the Witch Hazel poem.

Pam Winning said...

I've read this over and over, each time I'm left thinking 'Aw, Steve,virtual hug and thank you for sharing.' Gosh, Laura Ashley, sign of the times. I still have some LA dresses in the attic - they'll never fit me again but I won't part with them. Stitches in life's rich tapestries.

Jenny Grant said...

I really like the lyricism of your poetry. The blog was interesting too, you naughty man ;D

Ross Madden said...

Another cracking blog, Steve. When you start reading about witch hazel and suddenly get plunged into an intimate chapter from a friend's past that you knew nothing about... fair bowls you over. Well done with the poem too. 👏

Debbie Laing said...

Beautifully expressed and surprisingly moving. x

Hazel Williams said...

Is "immersive" the right word? I was completely caught up in the account of your love affair, beautifully related. I love the poem too. Just to be clear, I am not THAT Hazel. 😏

Ben Templeton said...

Ah, the enigma of witches! This was a great read. 👍

jacky said...

A fascinating account and poem.Thanks for sharing Steve. I'm not being trite but I can understand the allure of the lights of Ipswich Town...

Anonymous said...

Did you consider the possibility that Hazel's husband might get to read this given the pervasive reach nowadays of the interweb?

Caroline Asher said...

Well that made for rivetting reading and I'm certain I'd never have the nerve to be so public about my personal life even at 40+ years remove. If you ever write an autobiography, I'm buying it! You've distilled the experience into a rather lovely poem.

Jambo said...

And there was me expecting to read all about a deciduous bush!!! 😂

Jen McDonagh said...

My mum had a big bottle of witch hazel which she used to rub on us as kids when we got sunburn or rashes, to reduce inflammation. I still remember the smell. As for your own witch Hazel, no matter what her feelings for you, I suspect she simply got cold feet, as those brilliant lines in your poem about "bravery far beyond the strength of your slight sorcery" put it. Thanks for sharing, it was another great read.

Martin Brewster said...

You spun us masterfully there Steve. What an engaging account of youthful love affair.

Ruth Maxwell said...

We actually have a witch hazel growing in our front garden. It was here when we bought the house. It's an ornamental variety (I think) and my husband prunes it so it cascades down like a willow. Sometimes it looks a bit sinister so I'm pleased to read that it has nothing to do with witches (LOL).

I enjoyed reading the account of your long ago love affair. For some reason it made me think of Brief Encounter. I hope the aftermath wasn't too heart-breaking for you. The poem is lovely.

Anonymous said...

A revelatory read, and one which I'm certain many will be able to relate to.

Beth Randle said...

It's hard to know what to say to an outpouring like that. I'm only speculating but maybe you didn't make it clear enough that you wanted the two of you to be together permanently? It takes a lot to walk away from a marriage.

terry quinn said...

It's therapeutic to look back like that, isn't it. Especially, for me, on a drizzly January day. What might have been.

Good poem and love the phrase 'slight sorcery'

Saskia Parker said...

Beautifully written, all of it. (Silly girl!)

Gemma Gray said...

Very interesting. Tell me if I'm reading too much into it but is there a suggestion that your witch Hazel was too "pliant or bendable" (as in not resolute enough) when it came to her own future?

Zoe Nikolopoulou said...

Thanks for sharing, Steve. As others note, beautifully expressed. Sometimes supposition is all that remains.

Writer21 said...

Gosh, witch hazel- it's amazing!

It brought back memories of how I was plagued by insect bites as a child, so much so, that my calves swelled up because of my sweet skin.

My Mum met an old lady in the chemist's who told her to get witch hazel! It worked like a dream!

Mum found Witch Doctor described on the tube as "concentrated witch hazel".

So, folks, it's also a remedy for nasty insect bites!

It was a pleasant read, too about your romance.

As far as dating a witch is concerned- snap! Well, what do you expect in sunny Lancashire?

Thanka for this post.

It shows affairs aren't all about money-grabbing decadent lords and equally cynical, upper class wives!!!

Lizzie Fentiman said...

You sound quite wistful about that love affair but maybe it was "in the runes" that it wouldn't last. Perhaps witches don't make the best life-partners.

Mark Hurley said...

Mmm. Significant that you weren't ever given contact details. Did she have trust issues? Or was she just paranoid about getting found out?

Carey Jones said...

Maybe the memory is well served for having been cut off at that point and preserved without the gradual disaffection that often tarnishes love affairs? Anyway, you've made a rather good poem out of it.

Charlotte Mullins said...

Beautifully written, Steve. Parting is such sweet sorrow etc.

Seb Politov said...

Were you never tempted to try and locate her in later years when online tools like friends united, linkedin and facebook came along?

Bella Jane Barclay said...

Witch hazel is so cool! 👍

Becca Riley said...

Witches can be bitches. 😉

CI66Y said...

Ah Steve, the famous Suffolk Triangle. Lots of lovers lost in there. We stay safely north of the county line. Great win for my boys last night. Maybe relegation isn't nailed on after all.

Max Page said...

You're rarely so personal. What a revelation and intriguing as well Steve. Did this witch ever strike you as being flighty? It didn't sound like it from your account. Maybe as your poem suggests she was not quite brave enough to take the risk.

Jade Keillor said...

Interesting and open-hearted account. At least you've got a rather lovely poem out of the affair.

Tanya Green said...

A beautifully pitched account. The open-ended mystery of it just adds poignancy.

Jon Cromwell said...

Terrific blogging as ever. This was fascinating to read and well done with the poem. 👏

Ozzie Blake said...

From what you say it doesn't sound like she was syringing you along. But then so many relationships break up when people go off to university or when they leave. External factors are very powerful. You made a fine poem out of the memory.