written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 26 March 2022

Concrete

Every school project on The Romans taught us that famously they built using concrete. This is true, from about 300 B.C. onwards. It is also true that they introduced the making and use of concrete to Britain in the wake of their conquest of and 400-year dominion over our green and pleasant island. They gave it the name we use today (from the Latin concretus, meaning compact or condensed) and they were certainly the most prolific users of concrete across their vast empire. But it didn't begin with them. Its origins were much earlier, back in primitive times.

Nabatean Bedouin enclaves in southern Syria developed the use of concrete for flooring and for rendering external walls, several thousand years before the Romans. That knowledge and practice then spread chronologically to the Egyptian and Greek civilisations. Pyramids from before 2,000 B.C and Greek palaces built around 1200 B.C. made extensive use of the material, and by 700 B.C. concrete construction was common practice around the Mediterranean and Middle East. Coincidentally, it was discovered quite separately in the Americas by the Mayan civilisation at about the same time as its use by the Romans (from 200 B.C. onwards).

It surprised me to learn that concrete is the most widely used building material, in tonnage per year exceeding aluminium, plastics, steel and wood combined. Apparently it is also the second most used substance in the world, after water, So what exactly is concrete? It's a man-made composite material consisting of fine and coarse aggregates (limestone, gravel, sand et cetera) bonded together with a fluid cement, that hardens and cures over time and can be as strong as rock. Certainly elements of the concrete constructs of Nabatean, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Mayan builders have proved its durability. 

In slightly less primitive times - I'm thinking early 20th century here - parts of the coastline of England that faced Europe were adorned with a series of strange concrete devices (see example below) whose purpose was to 'listen' for the sound of approaching enemy aircraft. They were known colloquially as 'ears'. Their more technical name was parabolic acoustic mirrors.

Before the invention of radar and all of the other sophisticated surveillance techniques that have been developed from World War II onwards, it was hoped that these early warning devices would pick up and amplify the soundwaves of German aircraft approaching Britain from across the North Sea before the planes became visible to the naked eye, thus affording our defences something of an early warning. 


Of course these listening posts had to be manned, but to their credit, they actually worked and were truly the fore-runners of the immense observatory dishes that capture and amplify signals from deep space radio sources today.

Early Warnings, the latest poem from the imaginarium, backs up one-and-a-half millennia and conjectures fancifully on how the Romans might have employed such concrete amplification devices to warn of the impending invasion of Britain by marauding squadrons of Germanic tribes in the 5th century A.D. I'm referring to those  Jutes, Angles and Saxons who eventually made us largely what we are today, an island that is predominantly Anglo-Saxon, (though overlain with Danes and Normans, and not forgetting the devolved Celtic fringes).


In reality, although Britain still nominally had a Roman provincial governor, Rome had largely given up on the territory by 400 A.D. (in order to deal with trouble from the Goths and Vandals nearer home), and the Germanic arrival was creeping and gradual, spread over a century or more, but I'm compressing the action for poetic effect and not letting the brute truth of history get in the way of a good conceit.

"Engle and Seaxe upp becomon, of[v]er brad brimu Britene sohton..." (Angles and Saxons came up over the broad sea. Britain they sought...)

Early Warnings
Juvenal is reciting Ovid lovingly to his girl, 
but she listens with merely half a pretty ear, 
for laying prone in that grassy sweet spot 
where far-off sounds converge and amplify, 
she also strains to hear the things she dreads:
the crumbling of a distant empire, the menace
of warlike oars racing toward her native shore,
early warnings of a dark wave breaking.

Fion knows, as certain as summer ends, he'll go
with his father back to Rome, intuits also,
without a seer, it doesn't augur well for them,
this romance of a senator's son and his slave-girl.
When he finishes reciting, she returns his smile,
they share their picnic of soft fruits, wheat bread,
a flagon of palm wine, their wistful kisses already 
intimations of a dark leave-taking.

That's it, so far, though it may eventually be joined by a third verse that is forming somewhere just out of earshot. Thanks for reading. Stay tuned, S ;-)

42 comments:

Ross Madden said...

How to make concrete interesting?...well done Steve, love the latest poem. 👏

Paul Summers said...

No authority on poetry Steve but I'd say that's a good start. Love those concrete ears too.

Debbie Laing said...

I never realised I needed to know so much about concrete (LOL). Executed with your customary wit and style though, and the Early Warnings poem is fabulous as it stands.

Mitch Carragher said...

Very good Steve. It reminded me of that segment from Life of Brian "What have the Romans ever done for us?" The list was a long one, as I recall. Not sure concrete was mentioned specifically but roads and aqueducts certainly were - and wine. I really enjoyed the poem, which works as it stands for me. 👍

Binty said...

Typical men, scuttling back off to Rome at the first sign of trouble.

Roger Wakeley said...

Great blog. We have two of the concrete 'ears' near where we live in Kent (Denge and Hythe), well worth visiting if you're in the area. Loved the poem too.

Nigella D said...

Concrete leaves me cold, but the poem is clever and touching.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Ever the romantic Angle. Good for you. 😉

Sahra Carezel said...

There is a concrete ear (called Il-Widna) on Malta as well. My grandparents took me to see it. I don't know its history. I loved the poem. ❤️

Jeanie Buckingham said...

Good poem, Steve. I think your slave girl will have to soon try and make friends with the male oarsmen.

Harry Lennon said...

What an interesting blog. Let me add another fact. In the 19th and 20th century, ships used to be made of concrete - their hulls at least, and they were used as transports for grain and oil. It sounds counter-intuitive but true. Well done with the poem, though I wonder what the concrete ear element of it ("that...sweet spot/where far-off sounds converge and amplify") would mean to anyone if read out of context.

Flloyd said...

A good read.

Seb Politov said...

Fascinating. There is a concrete ear near Sunderland - would have been ideal for detecting marauding Angles - and the locals call it a sound mirror.

terry quinn said...

I do so enjoy reading these history articles. Congrats to Steve for this fascinating piece.

Obviously Fion and Juvenal stay together.

Nadia Quigley said...

I never heard of concrete ears or sound mirrors before. How fascinating. And the poem is lovely as it is.

Jambo said...

Great concrete post! and poem :) 👍

Ben Templeton said...

Excellent blog Steve. I did believe the Romans invented concrete, so that was enlightening. Great poem too.

Peter Fountain said...

Well crafted as ever. Yes, stuff the brute truth, I love the conceit. 👏

Rod Downey said...

I've seen concrete ears, they're quite imposing. It was a bit of a drawback them being static, but nevertheless a clever concept. I thought the poem was great and works well over two verses.

Writer21 said...

Thanks, Steve, I loved your article, which was a treasure trove of history and a relaxing read!

Unfortunately, I can't thank the Romans. Concrete is horrible, ugly material that ruined the British landscape of the sixties and seventies with awful high rise buildings and in places like parks!

Your poem is really skilled in how it weaves the subject into a love story.

Jen McDonagh said...

I enjoyed your history of concrete. As part of the Celtic fringe, I feel the displacement by assorted Angles, Jutes, Saxons, Vikings and Normans! I loved the poem. 💚

Caroline Asher said...

I've no great love of concrete buildings but your blog was fascinating and the poem is beautifully done.

Cynthia said...

I didn’t know it dates so far back in time.Very interesting.In the poem is it “laying” or “lying” not sure.
Sounds promising anyway.

Ian Chorlton said...

Very interesting. I worked in construction for many years and know a lot about its strengths, weaknesses and versatility but not its history. In the 90s some sites I was on had concrete laboratories. We even made concrete you could spray and stick too a soffit

Richard Houghton said...

It's amazing how quickly we progressed from concrete mirrors to radar to radio telescopes, all within the space of about 20 years from the mid-1920s to mid-1940s; technology really leaping forward necessitated by war (or "a dark wave breaking" as you so poetically put it). Great blogging.

CI66Y said...

Really interesting Steve and a great photo of an imposing-looking acoustic mirror. I saw a feature on concrete ears on an edition of that Coast tv programme. I'm surprised there aren't any in East Anglia. Well done for the poem, I enjoyed that. With reference to an earlier comment, I think it should be 'lying prone' and not 'laying'...but you're the poet :)

Yianni Aspradakis said...

Frames of houses in my country are made from concrete. Also stairs, balconies, roofs and floors. I liked your romantic poem.

Katie Parker said...

I loved this. It's even made me respect concrete, now I'm aware of its long history and apparent ubiquity. It's how you use it that counts. Great poem, too, very cleverly imagined.

Bill Dexter said...

What a treat. Not only the rise of concrete but the decline of the Roman Empire all in one post, plus concrete ears and a nicely worked poem. Kudos to you.

Tim Collins said...

"Concrete cures over time"...fascinating fact. It started me thinking of vast structures such as dams and sea-defences and the like: not really practical in any other medium. I'm told that the Chinese had concrete too, but used a sort of rice paste as the fluid to mix it with, not cement. There's almost something steampunk about those concrete ears.

Billy Banter said...

Et tu, Brutalist? 😃

Poppy Deveraux said...

How interesting (and I never thought I'd say that about concrete). I also love the way you've mangled time in pursuit of a lovely poem. Well done.

Lina Gulhane said...

Well I don't know about concrete but I loved the poem.

The Existentialist said...

I haven't checked in here for a long time but I'm pleased to find the imaginarium is still the place to be.

Bella Jane Barclay said...

What an inspired idea and a lovely poem. Thanks for sharing.

Lynne Carter said...

And another lovely blog. 💚

Rochelle said...

Well imagined. I loved the poem. 👍

Andy D. said...

Really enjoyed that Steve. Thanks for sharing. The concrete info was fascinating as I never realised it had such a long history. The 'ears' look amazing, worth a visit. I've not seen Old English for a long time (since undergrad days) so that was a nice surprise. And your romantic timewarp poem is great. Well done.

Liam Sullivan said...

When I saw the title I expected 'concrete' poetry. This was a fascinating read and I like the boldly imaginative premise of your poem (which I think is great). I love the photograph of the concrete mirror as well, so atmospheric, half expecting Roman legionaries to come marching over the brow of the hill!

Max Page said...

Those concrete acoustic mirrors were a new one on me. It's a great picture - where is it? I loved the time-warped idea for your portentous poem as well. Very good. 👏

Alistair Bradfield said...

This was great, Steve. I was fascinated by the concrete info and loved the conceit on which you built the poem. Really very good. Thanks.

Hannah Wrigley said...

That concrete should even be interesting! Well done Steve.👏
Oh, I love the poem too.