written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 11 February 2023

Roses Are Blue

Surely not? And yet... With Valentine's Day fast approaching, I figured this unusual rose-tinted approach to the theme of  blue might catch a few eyes and touch some hearts.

But blue roses - everybody knows they're about as real as unicorns, or silk purses made from sows' ears; as contrary to the laws of nature as time-travel, walking on water, or bread landing buttered side up.  And yet... Just marvel at the beautiful image below, not photoshopped in any way. So what's the story?

Blue Rose (i)
Scientific fact states that blue roses naturally don't exist. Of course they don't. The genus Rosa simply lacks the specific gene that allows roses to achieve a true blue colour. And yet... Blue roses have been written about for hundreds of years in oriental and middle-eastern literature, and because they don't exist in nature it means they have come to symbolise magic, mystery, perfection and a longing to attain the unattainable.

In fact the keen desire for blue roses also led to one of the earliest examples of man's ingenious attempts to improve on nature. The 12th century Arabic agricultural treatise 'Kitฤb al-filฤแธฅah' explains how a bush bearing white roses could be made to produce blue flowers by the injection of blue dye into the roots or bark of the plant. So that was how it was done, by trickery. And it's still the way today.

Even with all our marvels of modern science, recent attempts to biologically engineer blue roses by genetically adding the blue pigment delphinidin to the structure of rose DNA have merely resulted in a pale lavender flower. Although the market for them is significant (and there are lots of bogus sites on the internet selling blue rose seeds), it seems that the holy grail of true blue roses will continue to elude us and those beautiful blue blooms will only be attained by artificial means, by dyeing. 

In 1886 when Rudyard Kipling was just twenty-one and living in India, he wrote a poem titled 'Blue Roses' that contained the lines: 

She would none of all my posies
Bade me gather her blue roses. 
Half the world I wandered through, 
Seeking where such flowers grew. 
Half the world unto my quest 
Answered me with laugh and jest. 
Home I came at wintertide, 
But my silly love had died 
Seeking with her latest breath 
Roses from the arms of Death.

Although Kipling's verse is heavily Pre-Raphaelite in mood, I took the sentiment of it, along with a sprinkling of particle physics and the Portuguese seaside, as a starting point for a contemporary reading, this latest semi-ekphrastic poem from the imaginarium...

Blue Rose (ii)
Azul*
No faulting wanting more than he could give 
but heavens, such vaulting desire born out of
a hothouse holiday romance fast blossoming

in Alte's quaint streets, idle hours for love fun
and laughter, up down strangeness and charm
but top and bottom it's all quarks and no gluon

this elementary covalence of two. Perforce on
the final night everything flies apart, he means
no harm but still a summary rejection, leaving 

blue Rose shedding tears shredding azul petals 
on the threshold of dejection, outmanoeuvred 
in a game called love by hoping for perfection

and though right now she'd like to die, in time
she'll press the flowers within a Book of Hours
and dedicate her sorry heart to a higher power.

* Portuguese name for the blue rose; also the name of a strategy game, and a term for Heaven.

To send you away weeping, here's a musical bonus, not Joni Mitchell this time (though her 'Roses Blue'  could have served). This is the inimitable Freddie Neil singing his lovelorn classic: Blues On The Ceiling

Thanks for reading, S ;-)

36 comments:

Saskia Parker said...

Love this! ❤️

Carey Jones said...

Very good Steve, and a great plug for the brilliant Fred Neil.

Binty said...

Nun the wiser :)

Michelle Yost said...

Very cool!

William McKechnie said...

Nice write Steve

Pauline Monroe said...

Real blue roses would be stunning though, wouldn't they? You can understand why people willed them to exist. Clever poem that.

Nigella D said...

Oh that's such a sad poem. (I had to look up quarks and gluons.) The blue rose looks fantastic though.

Steve Rowland said...

Very good Binty. I didn't know if it was obvious.

Grant Trescothick said...

Interesting and topical. That blue rose certainly looks beautiful. I enjoyed the latest poem but thought maybe the lady's reaction was a bit extreme?

Beth Randle said...

A lovely valentine blog. The blue rose is beautiful, the history is fascinating, the poem is great, though one suggestion (if I might be so bold): maybe drop the last verse? I agree about it being an unlikely ending.

Rod Downey said...

Fab blogging. I recall reading a myth about the blue rose, that anyone who smelled its heavenly scent would immediately lose all memory. Is that like the lotus flower? Or the blue (opium) poppy? Intriguing poem too.

Sahra Carezel said...

I love the idea of blue roses, and I loved your intricate poem. ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

Debbie Laing said...

I didn't know about blue roses. They look incredible (even if dyed). We've been to Alte, I don't think it's on the coast, but it is quaint.

Dan Francisco said...

I have a framed Stanley Mouse on my wall of his Blue Rose poster for the Dead's gig at Winterland, New Year's Eve 1978. The color's not as intense as the photo on your Valentine's blog. I didn't know the back story. That's so cool, the poem too.

Peter Fountain said...

Thanks for sharing. That's interesting and the blue rose looks spectacular. I like the rhythm of your poem and I've read earlier comments about maybe dropping the last verse - I'm inclined to agree. Freddie Neil I'd not heard before but what a great blues voice.

Dani Merakli said...

I did enjoy the mystery of blue roses debunked, and there is a lot to like in your Azul poem. I'm sure you'll figure out the improvements you want to make. I wouldn't presume.

Laura Colville said...

Keep the last verse. It's the best one :)

Chloe Tudor said...

A great read. I'd love to receive a bunch of blue roses. Anyone?

Jacq Slater said...

Quite the bouquet of words, and clever imagery in your Azul poem.

Boz said...

Quarks in a love poem perhaps a little gratuitous, la!

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Your Azul poem is fine by me. I like its lyricism, and if Kipling's 'silly love' can be melodramatic, why not blue Rose?

CI66Y said...

Good blog Steve. I've got that Grateful Dead Blue Rose poster that Dan Francisco commented on as well. A much needed win for the boys in tangerine yesterday. I hope it continues for you (until the final game).

Ross Madden said...

Fascinating. Has giving 'blue' roses become a thing? If so, what does it represent? I liked your Azul poem and was blown away by the Freddie Neil song. I'd not heard him before. Thanks for that. ๐Ÿ‘

Peta Morris said...

Blooming lovely. ๐Ÿ’™

Lisa Roberts said...

Your blogs are always an education. This one not just about the history of blue roses but quarks and gluons (I had to google them). I loved the poem.

Stu Hodges said...

Great blogging. The blue rose is spectacular and I liked the poem you contrived out of the idea of blue Rose. Also, it's great to hear Fred Neil again.

Miriam Fife said...

I found this fascinating Steve. I didn't know blue roses existed (you know what I mean) and I loved the poem.

Cynthia said...

Inspiring blog and a lovely picture

Tim Collins said...

What a fascinating read. I loved the pictures and the lyrical poetry and wow, Freddie Neil, what a voice. Thank you for the introduction.

Valerie Marchant said...

Fabulous. So interesting, and the blue rose looks stunning. Holiday romances, what can you say? Clever poem though.

Della Burgess said...

Beautiful rose, beautiful poetry.

terry quinn said...

Fascinating article as usual. I hadn't known anything about blue roses.

The poem is fine.

Lindi Schnaubell said...

Even faked, the blue rose looks stunning.

Brett Cooper said...

The poem works for me if you're aiming for an update of the spirit of Kipling's piece (slightly hyperbolic and romanticised).Of course no sheila would react that way nowadays!

Ben Templeton said...

Blue roses, truly a horticultural work of art. This was most insightful Steve and I think the poem works (for me at least).

Briony Hall said...

A tantalising blog. That blue rose looks spectacular. I had to look up quarks and gluons to make sense of that second verse.