written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 18 March 2023

I Have To Choose Just One?

From hundreds of much-loved works by a score or more of artists I most admire, I have to choose just one? Okay then: 'Woman Reclining On A Sofa ' by Suzanne Valadon (Paris, 1917).  A favourite painting

Ask me again in a month's time and you'd possibly get a different answer, but it wasn't a random selection. It was almost certainly bound to be a picture by a post-impressionist of the French school, and I figured (as we've recently marked International Women's Day) why not give some much-deserved exposure to the work of a female artist who was creating masterpieces (or mistresspieces) in what was a very male-dominated Montmartre milieu from the 1880s to the 1930s? And Suzanne Valadon's story is a fascinating one.

Woman Reclining On A Sofa by Suzanne Valadon, 1917
She was born out of wedlock to a sewing maid in Limoges (central France) in 1865 and was christened Marie-Clémentine Valadon. She never knew who her father was and was raised a single child by a single parent. Her mother relocated them to the capital at the time of the Paris Commune, looking for work, and they found lodgings in Montmartre which was then still almost a country village on a hill within the city, with its green spaces, windmills and farmyards. More significantly it was becoming the low-rent haven for a growing coterie of artists. and Valadon was to live in bohemian Montmartre for most of her life.

She was a pretty and a precocious child, but that childhood was short-lived. She left school aged eleven to earn a wage, as times were hard, and was apprenticed to a milliner, where she excelled at embroidery and creating imaginative decorations for hats. She also worked part-time as a waitress and in her free time loved to hang out at the cafes and clubs in Montmartre where, with her vivacious manner and good looks, she was soon taken up by the community of artists.

Although she claimed she had been drawing since the age of nine, Valadon's first serious involvement with the artistic way of life was as a model. By the time she was fifteen, she was in regular demand, posing for Henner, Puvis de Chavanne, Renoir, Steinlen and Toulouse-Lautrec (who suggested she take the name 'Suzanne') among others. Several of the men who painted her also became her lovers and she was still only seventeen when she became pregnant, unsure of who the father was. Following in her own mother's footsteps, she became a single parent when her son Maurice (Utrillo, later a famous painter himself) was born. While grandmother looked after the new-born, Valadon continued to earn her living as a life model and began her first serious steps towards forging an artistic identity of her own.

Over the course of a decade from 1883 to 1893 Suzanne (as she'd taken to calling herself) drew copiously in charcoal and pastel, using her mother, her son, friends and the locale as her subjects and learning by watching the techniques of the men who painted her. As her talents blossomed she began to paint in oils and it wasn't long before her work came to the attention of Edgar Degas, who bought some of her paintings, and who paved the way for her to exhibit her canvases at the National Salon in 1894. She had arrived, and her career as an effectively self-taught artist was underway, albeit with precarious finances.

In 1896 she married "a man of means" and that finally gave her the stability to devote herself full-time to painting: nudes (mostly women), cats (if you like cats, do check them out online), portraits of friends, still life compositions, the pastoral beauty still in evidence around Montmartre village prior to World War I. Her work became increasingly vibrant and colourful, and totally original, even anticipating the coming trends of Fauvism and Expressionism.

Alongside all of this, she taught her son to paint and then fell in love with one of his artist friends, twenty years her junior. She divorced her husband in 1909 and moved in with Utter who encouraged and inspired her to take her painting to another level. Her first solo exhibition followed in 1911, she appointed a dealer to sell her works and over the next twenty years she became one of the most eminent painters of the early 20th century, working from her atelier up on the Butte of Montmartre.

Suzanne Valadon in her studio
Although she continued to draw in crayon and pastel, it was her colourful oil paintings, a variety of still-life compositions, self-portraits, portraits of friends, more cats and a series of stunning female nudes which deservedly stand as her legacy, to my eyes one of the very greatest of post-impressionist painters and possibly the greatest female artist of her generation.

I could have opted for any one of those painting from her most prolific period but I chose 'Woman Reclining On A Sofa ' because its subject-matter, classical composition and relaxed, assured execution seem to epitomise both Suzanne Valadon's aesthetic and her achievement. As she stated near the end of her career in the 1930s: "I have had some great teachers, and I have got the best out of them, in terms of both teaching and example. I have found myself, I made myself what I am, and I think I have said [through my art ] what I had to say."

Here's the latest poem. It might require a tweak or two but I hope it serves as a fitting tribute...  

Not One To Be Painted Into A Corner
You were still Marie-Clémentine then, your vivacious
teenage blush seducing half the moth-eyed painters
in Montmartre to your flame. Everybody burned daily.

You have to be hard on yourself  you'd said, reclining
voluptuously after sinking a glass of rough red wine,
willing to be bedded by those for whom you'd posed.

Be honest, look yourself in the face you'd declared as
you'd bared body and soul, and get rid of any surplus
of hatred or excessive love. And wasn't it Lautrec then

who nick-named you Suzanne (as in 'and the Elders')?
You seized it as a sign to pick up charcoal and brushes
and armed with what you'd gleaned of their technique

proceeded to paint yourself out of the corner labelled 
a woman's place, escaped its shadows. Nowadays you
would be wearing a 'No Retreat, No Surrender' t-shirt!






Thanks for reading, have a good week. S ;-)

36 comments:

Ross Madden said...

Not an artist I'm familiar with but her story sounds intriguing and I love the concept of painting yourself out of a corner, very clever. 👏

Anonymous said...

Kudos for the poem Mr R.

Nigella D said...

An inspiring read.

Kenny Garcia said...

Reading this made me think of Joni Mitchell for some reason, a talented woman putting her art before all else to achieve self-realization. A great blog Steve.

Mark Hurley said...

Very good that, a great introduction to an artist I've not come across before. Well done with the poem.👍

Deke Hughes said...

I enjoyed your blog. Valadon's story is a fascinating one, as you say. Is Woman Reclining on a Sofa a self-portrait? She looks like the photograph of the artist in the studio. I liked the poem, especially that first verse. Great title too.

Jen McDonagh said...

Mistresspieces - I love it 😃 and she looks like my Aunt Gillian. A great read and a fine poem.

Steve Rowland said...

Regarding the poem, I'm not happy with the last stanza yet - it will change once I figure it out.

Billy Banter said...

That woman reclining on a sofa - it's just missing the remote control. 😂

Noragh Montgomerie said...

Good for her. And good for you shining the spotlight so to speak. I will investigate her paintings online, looking forward to the cats!

terry quinn said...

A fascinating story. Many thanks for introducing Suzanne to us.

I don't know her work so will look on line later. Except for the cats.

'paint yourself out of a corner' - I hope you keep this in the last verse.

David Thomson said...

That was fascinating Steve. I also took a Google detour to Suzanne and the Elders. Most interesting. Now I look forward to checking out Suzanne Valadon's paintings at leisure. Well done with the poem too.

Gemma Gray said...

Excellent blogging. Valadon still doesn't get the recognition she deserves. Even Berthe Morisot has a higher profile. I think Suzanne would have approved of your poem.

Poppy Deveraux said...

What an inspiring read. I take it those italicised phrases in your poem are verbatim from the lady herself? Is there a good book about her you would recommend?

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Very interesting. She sounds like quite a girl! I love the poem.

Roxy Bellingham said...

An intriguing bio. I like the painting too, and congrats on the poem.

Debbie Laing said...

A great read, and I love the poem. I'll certainly go online to look at more of her paintings.

Freya Pickard said...

Love this. ❤️

Brad Gekowski said...

Impressionism/post-impressionism are also my favorite periods in art (Cezanne, Monet, Pissarro and Van Gogh specially). I didn't even know there were women artists making a name for themselves so thanks much for this write up.

Saskia Parker said...

Reading this made me want to go to Montmartre. I love the poem Steve.

Steve Rowland said...

Thanks everyone for the comments to date. BTW the poem is now revised. Poppy: yes the quotes in the poem are Suzanne's own. If you can find it second hand I'd recommend a monograph of Suzanne Valadon by Jeanine Warnod. Saskia: Montmartre is still interesting but nothing compared to what it was 120 years ago.

Harry Lennon said...

Hard to choose I agree but my favourite painting would have to be something by Magritte, probably from his Empire Of Light series. This was a great read Steve. Very well done with the poem. 👏

Writer21 said...

A wonderful life story and a poem that reflects the admiration of the writer for his subject.

Seb Politov said...

A fascinating account and a wonderful poem. 👍
If I had to pick just one painting, probably Morning in the Village after the Snowstorm by Kasimir Malevich.

Miriam Fife said...

I really enjoyed the blog and the poem, knowing nothing about Suzanne Valadon. A proto-feminist. And those stripey socks/stockings she's wearing look great!

Peter Fountain said...

You have the eye. You always got to hold your paintings up in front of the class. It's another excellent poem Steve.

Sahra Carezel said...

I loved the blog, a fascinating account and a lovely poem. Well done to Suzanne Valadon (and you)! My favourite artist is Van Gogh. I love his Arles period best.

Ailsa said...

Excellent Steve. I share your love of impressionist/post-impressionist painting, the artist fighting back against the advent of photography. I really like both the sentiment and the execution of your poem. It's great.

Charlotte Mullins said...

Thank you so much for this. I've just spent a happy 20 minutes looking online at Suzanne Valadon's paintings of cats. How lovely, especially 'The Great Cat' (a fine marmalade beast). I loved reading your bio of her and i's such a clever and empowering poem.

Becca Riley said...

A fascinating blog and I love the poem.

Dani Merakli said...

Paintings are not really my thing but I enjoyed this. It's a lovely poem.

Beth Randle said...

She's not an artist I'm familiar with but that was a great introduction and I'll check out her paintings for sure. I like the way you've worked her story into a poem. It's a great title and a lovely poem.

Tif Kellaway said...

I loved the bio and the poem.

Morgan Ellis said...

I know next to nothing about artists and their paintings, but this was a compelling read and a great poem.

Mark II Ford said...

The poem is a belter. 👏

Elen D said...

I heard you read this on Thursday night - what a great poem!