written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 27 January 2024

The Masked Singer

It's been a tough few weeks for brother and sister bird. Days of snow and freezing temperatures followed by storm after wet and windy storm are not conducive to singing. It's all about staying alive. Birdsong is for balmier times, and those can't come soon enough - for birds or bloggers!

It's the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch week-end and I'll be taking part in the annual one-hour survey tomorrow (because I have footballing duties today). My back garden is a bit of a wreck at the moment, awaiting a nature-friendly make-over in the spring, so I'll probably head to the local park to do my spotting and bird census. There, if I'm lucky, I will see some nuthatches.

nuthatch descending
I've not so far seen nuthatches at the bushes or feeders in my back garden (it's always blackbirds, blue tits, great tits, goldfinches, robins, sparrows and starlings). However, they are becoming more common in these northern parts. RSPB figures show that over the last half-century, the UK population of nuthatches has increased steadily from 70,000 pairs to 250,000 pairs, and their territory has expanded by a third from their southern heartland as they have colonised the country up to the Scottish Borders, an indicator perhaps of the impact of climate change.

They are charming little birds with their grey-blue backs and wings, peachy underbellies and black stripe across the eye (hence the title of today's blog.) They are also unique in being able to walk head first down trees. Various birds (treecreepers and woodpeckers for instance) can climb up tree trunks, but only the cleverly adapted nuthatch can do so in both directions, and is often most easily identified from its distinctive downward stance.

Nuthatches inhabit deciduous woodland, parks and large gardens. Their traditional diet is hazel nuts, beech mast, acorns, wild seeds and insects drilled out of tree bark. However, they are being found increasingly in suburban gardens near parks or woodland, attracted by feeders filled with peanuts or sunflower seeds.

During the breeding season from April onwards they make neat nests in holes in trees or walls, lining them with flakes of bark and dried beech or oak leaves. The clutch of anywhere between six and a dozen eggs is incubated by the female for about two weeks and the young are fed by both male and female birds. The baby nuts are ready to fledge after about five weeks.

Nuthatches can often be heard before they are seen, for their singing voice although not mellifluous is quite recognisable, either as a sort of metallic "chwit chwit" usually followed by a shrill "tsit" and a trill, or as a variant a clear, piping "twee" often repeated and followed by the same rapid trill. 

They are not a common sight (unlike the roll-call of birds I listed earlier), but if you do spot one on a walk through the woods, you'll almost certainly see a second, for they usually fly in pairs except when the female is incubating the eggs. They are a joy to behold, truly delightful little creatures.

nuthatch ascending
It was while I was working in Warsaw fifteen years ago that my then wife and I went for a Sunday afternoon visit to ลazienki Park, the city's largest and oldest green space. We'd actually gone to hear a Chopin piano recital in the park's famous orangery, but walking along the path through woodland  to get there I was surprised to see nuthatches everywhere. There were literally dozens of them within half a mile, flitting about or running up and down trees. It was the most amazing sight and the absolute highlight of the day (though the recital was enjoyable and the hot chocolate with whipped cream was excellent). It left me wondering if Chopin, who grew up in Warsaw in the early 19th century, might have taken compositional inspiration from the singing of the city's trilling nuthatches.

In ลazienki Park
Upside down world, her father dying 
and she struggling to cope,
we held hands tightly I suppose
partly for the cold.
I don't recall that we spoke.

Spring and a flurry of snowflakes 
from iron sky with dull milk sun
as we strolled through avenues
of ancient beech and oak 
all bare but not deserted 

for darting round their trunks
a spectacular fluster of nuthatches
clinging, climbing, up, down,
striped like bandits, shaped for torpedoes
and their insistent metallic song

forged defiant on chilly air. 
Kowalik: blacksmith in native tongue,
how apt is that. I'd never seen
so many in one place before.
She scarcely noticed, I thrilled at the sight.

But once inside the Orangery, its circle
of warmth and chairs, with hot chocolate
and Chopin's รฉtudes spilling
like the striking songs of birds,
she smiled, setting the world aright.

Here's a short clip of nuthatches singing: Nuthatches

Thanks for reading, S ;-)

40 comments:

Natalija Drozdova said...

Interesting. They are lovely birds. What were you doing in Warsaw (out of interest)?

Nigella D said...

Aren't they sweet little birds. I've never seen one.

Ross Madden said...

I'm not sure I've ever noticed nuthatches but I'll keep a stripey eye out now. I loved the poem. ๐Ÿ‘

terry quinn said...

What a very interesting blog. I will keep my eyes open for these birds.

Chopin and hot chocolate. I could cope with that.

'an activity of nuthatches' is a great line.

Spring and snowflakes
iron sky with dull milk sun
in ลazienki Park

Could be a haiku.

Deke Hughes said...

We get nuthatches in the woods round here, but never in profusion. That must have been quite a sight. It's a fine poem.

Kate Eggleston-Wirtz said...

Very informative - loved learning about the nuthatch - things I never knew. Poem - you took me to the park flourishing with birds... :)

Jen McDonagh said...

It's true. I've never seen a nuthatch up here. It's a charming poem.

Debbie Laing said...

A lovely blog about a sweet little bird. We are lucky to have nuthatches in the woods near where we live and you describe them beautifully in your atmospheric poem.

Ailsa Cox said...

If it's upside down it's a nuthatch? That's the sort of birdwatching tip I can work with. Thanks for a most informative blog and a really lovely poem.

Charlotte Mullins said...

I loved this.

Beth Randle said...

What a great post. I loved that phrase "The baby nuts are ready to fledge after about five weeks." I don't remember ever seeing one either, but I certainly know what to look out for now. And it's a super evocative poem.

Steve Rowland said...

Thanks everyone for the kind comments to date. FYI I was running a project to replace all their legacy computer systems and install SAP business software for Kodak Polska. It was a difficult time to be away from home but I liked Warsaw and the people very much. And the nuthatches of course.

Binty said...

I've never heard Chopin but I hope he's a bit more varied than those nuthatches, lovely as they are!

Gemma Gray said...

We also had the usual robins. sparrows, tits and blackbirds on the RSPB week-end. We used to get greenfinches and chaffinches but haven't seen them around here for a few years now, and never a nuthatch. I really enjoyed your blog about them and the lovely poem.

Sahra Carezel said...

I love nuthatches. I've seen quite a few in parks and woods in the south of England, but never had them come into our garden and certainly never seen them in the numbers you found in Warsaw. It's a tremendous poem, by the way. Your blog got me wondering what the collective noun is for these little birds. I've found conflicting suggestions online: a 'booby', a 'jar' or a 'trouble', none of which sound right to me as they don't capture the essence of the bird. What does that say about the nuthatch? Hard to typify? What would you suggest? You're good at finding the right word. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Lizzie Fentiman said...

We don't have nuthatches in Australia though we do have a bird, the varied sitella (or orange-winged sitella) that sometimes gets called the Australian nuthatch, or more commonly just the barkpecker. It's the closest thing, though not as pretty as your masked singer (what a great title). And I loved your poem.

Olivia Franklin said...

Thanks for a lovely read.

Hazel Williams said...

A super birding blog. Masked singers is such a clever and contemporary name for the nuthatches. I read the comment above about collective nouns and I thought the one you've (inadvertently?) used in your poem - an activity of nuthatches - is a perfect candidate. I loved the poem, and the photographs. Well done Steve.๐Ÿ‘

Natalia de Monasterio said...

A lovely blog. The Spanish word for nuthatch is trepador. He's like zorro, with his mask. I have read somewhere that there is a collective noun sartรฉn (means frying-pan in Spanish) but don't ask me why.

Jacq Slater said...

What a delightful and informative blog and a great incentive for a walk in the woods. I can't say I've ever noticed nuthatches before but I want to see one now. Your poem was skilfully done and beautifully descriptive. I loved "striped like bandits shaped for torpedoes" in particular.

Susan Osborne said...

I had two nuthatches on my feeder only yesterday. It is only the 2nd time I have ever seen nuthatches. They are so pretty.
I sensed an underlying sadness in your poem, but the nuthatches cheered you up, and the music too, i could almost smell that hot chocolate! Lovely!

Jacqueline said...

A fascinating read and a beautiful poem. Thank you

Paul Jones said...

A charming blog about a lovely bird, and I liked the different levels in your poem, the darkness and light.

Rosemary Moore said...

I absolutely loved this poem Steve, it really sets the scene. As for the nuthatches, your comments in the blog really echo my own experiences. I almost always hear them before they are spotted and they have certainly increased in numbers locally this century.

Sylvia C said...

Thank-ski for the poem :) Just had a brief read about that park in Warsaw
sounds amazing all 76 hectares of it-ski! I have only been to Poznan & Lodz
way back in 2010 as part of Uclan student group. Perhaps nuthatches have been mistaken for robins with their colour chests ?

Anonymous said...

I've seen social media posts about the Big Garden Birdwatch but I don't have a garden and I've never taken part, though I love the ambient sounds of birdsong. Your lovely blog about a bird I'd never even heard of before might just inspire me to go birdwatch walking in my local park this week-end. I really enjoyed your poem, it reads beautifully and pulled me in.

Miriam Fife said...

A clever topical title for a post about the lovely nuthatch. I'm pleased their numbers are on the increase when so many others seem to be declining Not often sighted in these parts, but we live in hope. It's an excellent poem.

Emily Blythe said...

"brother and sister bird"...I like your engaging style. This was most informative. I loved the photographs and of course the cleverly crafted poem. Thanks for sharing, Em.

Steve Rowland said...

I took the poem to my Stanza group last night. They made quite a few constructive suggestions, some of which I've incorporated into the revised version now updated on the blog.

Demelza Hoyle said...

Thanks for the introduction to a striking little bird. Your poem is beautiful.

Marianne Gevers said...

A delightful birding blog. How interesting to have worked in Warsaw and to have seen so many nuthatches there. It's a lovely poem.

Grant Trescothick said...

A good blog, and masked singers is very apt. It's good that numbers are on the increase too. I enjoyed your atmospheric, bitter-sweet poem.

Caitlin Shaw said...

I don't think I've ever seen a nuthatch. They look amazing, And what a lovely poem. ๐Ÿ‘

Henry Flowers said...

Thanks for a fascinating blog, including your poetic account of encountering so many nuthatches. Do you think it was just luck, or are nuthatch numbers really much higher in Poland?

Melissa Davy said...

I loved this. What a beautiful little bird and what a moving poem. ❤️

Dominic Rivron said...

I really liked the way you put Chopin alongside the birdsong!

Kylie Davenport said...

A lovely blog and a fab poem. That photo of the nuthatch ascending is splendid too. Thanks for sharing.

Bella Jane Barclay said...

That was a delight to read. I'd love to have nuthatches coming to my garden. I wonder is it just luck (location) or is there a way to tempt them? They look beautiful for sure. Your poem is wonderful.

Penny Lockhart said...

Wonderful.

Isabel said...

A lovely blog about a delightful little bird. Do you have a collection of bird poems?