written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Thursday 24 January 2019

Fat Balls - you must be having a laugh!

Where do I begin writing a blog to suit the theme this week. I have to take you back to 2006. My lovely Mum had talked me into joining her at the Veterans Ball at Blackpool Tower Ballroom. I was a professional dancer and spent most of the evening dancing with elderly ladies who were without partners but desperate to get onto the floor.

Towards the end of the night, a gentleman stood at the edge of the floor and held out his hand, a signal that he would like me to dance with him. I was surprised to find that he was a really good dancer. Ian was visiting from Melbourne, Australia and he was so pleased to have found someone to dance with that he stuck with me and we spent the rest of the evening waltzing and quickstepping. I really enjoyed the experience and was sad to part. He was travelling to London the next day and would then embark on a whistle-stop tour of the UK before travelling on to the USA. We exchanged phone numbers then parted.

A week later I had a phone call from Ian.  He had arrived back in London immediately after the July 7th bombings. He was so worried about flying to the States that I suggested he came back to Blackpool until things had settled down. He said that if I would be his dance partner, he would love to spend more time here. Arrangements were made and he became a temporary lodger for my Mum and we spent the next few weeks dancing.

One day we were in Poulton-le-Fylde market where I was buying seed for my garden birds. Suddenly I heard Ian laughing raucously outside the shop. In the window was a sign that proudly announced, "Fat Balls for your Tits." He took a photo and posted on social media for the amusement of friends and family back in Oz. Whenever I hear the expression, I remember him doubled over laughing. It is a very happy memory.

I am an avid feeder of garden birds and have had some lovely experiences. One year I had two jays regularly visiting my garden and a few years ago was delighted to spot a pair of waxwings in the sycamore tree. One Christmas day, when the ground was covered with snow, my hawthorn tree was still laden with fruit and as I sat down to lunch, a great spotted woodpecker was sitting in my apple tree. I consider myself very lucky.

Every year at this time, I take part in Big Garden Bird Watch, a very worthwhile survey carried out by the RSPB. You only have to spend one hour between the 26 & 28th January logging the birds that visit your own garden. Just click on the link to find details of birds and how to take part.   https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/


A Winter's Tail

On a bright and bluish Boxing Day
When the house is quiet, 
The kids away, 
I am sitting alone
In the peace and the quiet
Facing the window
Wide and clear,
And I gaze to the garden
To frosted glass
While the tears drip down
My wretched cheeks
For the love that I lost
For the joy that passed
Then I stop and I peer at a flash of light
Of green and yellow
A bird in flight
With a soft black cap
and a bold black stripe
My acrobats are back to their nest. 
Dashing and dancing 
From limb to limb
Of the apple tree with the mouldy trim
Swing from strings to a coconut
To taste sweet suet and butternut
Such delight to my wondering eyes did appear
And brought me a smile from ear to ear. 

Thank you for reading. Now get birdwatching. Adele 

4 comments:

Lady Curt said...

A lovely memory , and a lovely poem.

Steve Rowland said...

Yes that 'Fat balls for your tits' story is very funny. I know you miss the garden you had in Thornton Cleveleys - it was a great haven for little birds. I enjoyed A Winter's Tail :-)

Anonymous said...

waxwing lyrical!

Steve Rowland said...

Ref. the anonymous witticism above, I've quoted these few heroic couplets before in a blog of my own, but they're worth re-quoting here (from Vladimir Nabokov's 'Pale Fire'):
"I was the shadow of the waxwing slain
By the false azure of the windowpane;
I was the smudge of ashen fluff - and I
Lived on, flew on, in the reflected sky."