written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 15 January 2022

Misty

Just to be different this week, let's start with a quiz. You can all join in. Ten pithy clues - some more cryptic than others - to people, places or things that reference mistiness in some form:
1) gorillas 2) reggae 3) falling water 4) anime 5) clint 6) aiden 7) andrews/owen 8) pirouette 9) dark lord 10) pacific gas. There are some toughies there, but all of the answers can be found below. (No cheating, give it a go first.)

The science of Misty is approximately as follows: minute particles of water (2 parts hydrogen, one part oxygen) suspended in air (8 parts nitrogen, 2 parts oxygen, with a smidgen of argon). Mist occurs as a result of a subtle state-change, when conditions are right for water vapour in the air to cool and change from an invisible gas to visible water droplets. Miraculous as that it, it doesn't do justice to the mysterious beauty of the phenomenon. But I hope this photograph might. Feast your eyes...

Blackpool Tower, seagull, sea mist
I'm posting quite a short blog today for a change, because it's misty and I'm busy, busy, busy. For that reason, plus the fact that I couldn't hope to better what Alice Oswald has achieved, I have chosen to share her poem rather than one of my own: 

Mist
It amazes me when mist
chloroforms the fields
and wipes out whatever world exists

and walkers wade through coma
                            shouting
and close to but curtained from each other

sometimes there's a second river
lying asleep along the river
where the sun rises
             sunk in thought

and my soul gets caught in it
              hung by the heels
              in water

It amazes me when mist
                          weeps as it lifts

              and a crow
calls down to me in its treetop voice
      that there are webs and drips
and actualities up there

and in my fog-self shocked and grey
              it startles me to see the sky

                                          Alice Oswald, 2019

Here are the answers to the quiz:









That's all folks. Thanks for reading, S ;-)

18 comments:

Binty said...

3 out of 10! Must do better!! Ha ha.

Jacq Slater said...

I absolutely love the photograph of Blackpool Tower. OK, the poem is good but does it really benefit from being set out like it is? (Just asking, because I don't understand the finer points if these things.)

Anne Ward said...

Who ate the Tower? It's eerie when it's foggy.

Nikki Sanderson said...

1, 2, 3, 5 and 9 I know the answers to.

Billy Banter said...

Blackpool has never looked more beautiful 😳

Lexi Warrender said...

You're kidding. That was cruel. I got 1 out of 10 and that's only because I read the other blog Play Misty for Me first! 😂

Carey Jones said...

It's an interesting poem. I really liked the lines "chloroforms the fields", "mist weeps as it lifts" and "calls down to me in its treetop voice", though I agree with an earlier comment querying whether the layout really adds any value... and from what I've read of your poetry over several years of Saturday blogs I'm sure you're being far too modest/deferential towards Oxford University's Professor of Poetry 😏 (because emojis seem to be in vogue).

Ben Templeton said...

6/10. I thought 3) was 'Misty Eye' - as in cataract (from falling water)! Obligatory emoji >>> 😂

Seb Politov said...

It takes you back to think that 80% of what we breathe in is nitrogen! And I wonder how important the smidgen of argon is. Presumably more significant than carbon dioxide, which is a mere 'trace' constituent at 0.04%.

Dan Francisco said...

Hot damn, tough was right. I scored 5, the US-centered questions. That's a great image of Blackpool Tower. You've seen the famous ones of the Golden Gate Bridge rising through sea mist, right?

Peter Fountain said...

2 out of 10. I was feeling good about today until then! (LOL) Like the mist you describe, I found the latest blog a little less substantial than usual, but I suppose nothing beats being busy. I liked Alice Oswald's poem - will check out her work.

Ross Madden said...

I scored 5. I hope that's good. I know nothing about Pokemon, ballet or gas fields (and am quite proud of two of those claims). The photograph of your local landmark is brilliant!

Nigella D said...

The mist has descended on me. I could only do two!

Mac Southey said...

Feeling short-changed! 😳 Bring back the real Saturday Blogger!! 😂

Max Page said...

Great atmospheric picture of Blackpool Tower in the mist. Did you take it?

Debbie Laing said...

That was different! I must admit I didn't try the quiz but I loved the photograph and found the poem interesting. Alice Oswald is a new name on me, so I'll look her up online. Thanks Steve.

Jenny Grant said...

I only scored 3 out of 10. 😳 I'm doing better with Wordle. The photograph and the poem are lovely.

terry quinn said...

Only got 2. Pathetic.

Alice Oswald is one of my favourite poets. 'Dart' is wonderful.