written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 10 June 2023

Tenson

Esoteric, I know. Meaning both a Provençal lyric poem, taking the form of a debate or dialogue, and the event at which troubadours would declaim such poetry,  Tenso derives from the Old Occitan for a dispute or struggle, (and somewhere in there is the obvious connection to tension). As a poetic form it first emerged in the 10th century and was widely popular in southern France, Italy and Spain for several hundred years, wherever troubadours grouped to entertain the (mostly illiterate) masses.

a lovely bunch of troubadours
As an example of the form, trust me to have picked what, by consensus, is quite the bawdiest of Old Occitan troubadour tensons. This one is credited to a poet who simply went by the soubriquet of Montan (the Mounter). Note the alternating female and male personae in the stanzas - I've italicised the latter's septets - also the abababa rhyme scheme and the fact that it's written in iambic pentameters (I think, though my Old Occitan leaves something to be desired...lol!). It also strikes me that Occitan seems to bear as much relation to modern Spanish as it does to French:

Eu veing vas vos, Seingner, fauda levada,
c'auzitz ai dir c'avetz nom En Montan,
c'anc de fotre non fui asassonada,
et ai tengut dos anz un capellan,
e sos clergues e tota sa masnada;
et ai gros cul espes e trameian
e maior con que d'autra femna nada.

Et eu vas vos, dompn', ab braga bassada,
ab maior viet de nuill az'en despan,
e fotrai vos de tal arandonada
que los linzols storzerez l'endeman
-- e pos diretz c'ops i es la bugada;
ni mais no·m leu ni mais mei coillon gran
se tan no·us fot que vos zaires pasmada.


Pois tan m'aves de fotre menazada,
saber volria, Seingner, vostre van,
car eu ai gen la mia port'armada
per ben soffrir los colps del coillon gran;
apres comensarai tal repenada
que no·us poiretz tener als crins denan,
anz de darier vos er ops far tornada.

Sapchatz, Midons, que tot aizo m'agrada
-- sol que siam ensems a l'endeman,
mon viet darai en vostra port'armada;
adoncs conoisseretz s'eu sui truan
qu'eu vos farai lanzar per la culada
tals peitz que son de corn vos senblaran
-- et ab tal son fairetz aital balada.

                                              Montan, circa 1250 AD

You'll want to read it in translation (as I suspect Chaucer might have done). It comes with an advisory sticker. It's earthy and graphic stuff, as likely to shock as to amuse, and some of you may need to lie down afterwards:

I come to you, Sir, with my skirt lifted,
since I have heard your name is the Mounting Lord,
and I was never sated with fucking:
I kept a chaplain for two years,
and his clerics and all his following;
and I have a large, firm and sprightly butt
and a larger cunt than any woman ever.

And I come towards you, Lady, with my trousers lowered,
with a larger cock than any randy donkey,
and will fuck you with such an outburst
that you'll have to wring your bed-sheets the day after
---and say thereafter that they need to be washed;
Neither I, nor my huge nuts will leave
unless I fuck you until you pass out.


Since you anticipate so much fucking,
I would like to know, Sir, your pride,
since I have armoured my entrance quite well
in order to resist the attack of large testicles;
then I'll start kicking so much
that you won't be able to hold to the front hair
and you'll have to begin again from behind.

Know, my lady, that I agree to all this:
as long as we are together until tomorrow,
I shall ram into your armoured entrance;
then you'll know whether mine is just boasting,
since I'll make you cast through your arse
such farts as will sound like they come from a horn
--and your dance shall suit the music.


I don't know. Those troubadours, what a bunch! 😏

Being of a more cultured disposition myself, I offer you this modern take on the tenson, also a bit of a twist on Edward Lear, proposing that life isn't all dining on mince and quince, even for owls and their pussycats. (Can you tell I got a bit bored with it?)

owl and pussy (from British Council animated film)
Owl & Pussycat Redux
It was fun when we first got together
we were both young and so madly in love
but of late I've been wondering whether
we're not the proverbial hand and glove
I feel an urge to fly off the tether
join with fellow owls and heavens above
sing and play my guitar hell for leather.

I knew you'd end up being a flighty bird
can't say I wasn't warned but there you go
an owl and cat together seemed absurd
but Edward Lear would not have had it so
and after all you pledged your faithful word
to play for me when I was feeling low
your music is the prettiest I've heard.

Don't flatter me with this false extolling
I've seen the bored look on your furry face
at best you're nothing short of controlling
our diet of mince and quince is a disgrace
instinctively I'd rather be voling
or turning mouser to snatch us a brace
refinement! who'd you think we're fooling?

I don't like how you eat bones fur and all
your lack of manners makes my stomach turn
and then you drop this most disgusting ball
right in the bedroom will you never learn
that cats like cleanliness? you've got some gall!
but I'll forgive your mess because I yearn
to live harmonious without a wall.

There's fat chance of that you jumped up hussy
I've seen that tom come slinking round at night
one mewl from him and you're not so fussy
so tell me who it was gave you the right
to moralise and come on all bossy?
By the way I'm not trying to pick a fight
just cut me some slack vexatious pussy.

If you could give me kittens owl perhaps
of course I never thought that far ahead
how can a poet set so many traps?
Music alone can't save this marriage bed
you're right when true natures reveal such gaps
and if you believe our romance is dead
then take your guitar fuck off and play taps!

Thanks for reading, S ;-)

21 comments:

Billy Banter said...

Brazen!

Dan Francisco said...

Play taps! Ha, that will be an American owl then Steve.

Binty said...

I love a bit of rudery. And there was me thinking troubadours were all about chivalrous love songs or laments for broken hearts.

Pamela Winning said...

Interesting, informative and a laugh-out-loud funny translation. Excellent blog. 😃

Steve Rowland said...

Pam, this will amuse you. I went to cut and paste your kind comment about the blog from Facebook (as I do with all comments about my blogs as I like to save them on the thread) but Blogger wouldn't allow me to save it with the word erotica in there!

Grant Trescothick said...

Interesting. Your Owl & Pussycat Redux amused. (I had to look up what redux means.) And the line "just cut me some slack vexatious pussy" is something we can all identify with.

Lizzie Fentiman said...

Extraordinary revelations (lol)! I knew nothing of the terson before reading the latest blogs, or the vulgarity of troubadours. Loved this Steve and your owl & pussy poem amused too. I'm still not clear though, were tersons originally joint compositions? Or were they written by one person and spoken by two?

Jambo said...

So a Tenson was like a giant Provençal poetry slam?

Miriam Fife said...

That was an education in more ways than one! I suppose 'bawdy' was a fairly standard setting at the time though. I liked how your Redux unravelled.

Deke Hughes said...

Anyone for Tenson? That was funny. And another tightly structured rhyme scheme - that's two weeks in a row. No wonder you said you got a bit bored with it! 😂 It works though, so well done. Shackles off again next week?

Brizette Lempro said...

A very interesting blog. If you wish to know what Occitan really sounds like, I send you a link to a new fascinating project: https://www.folkradio.co.uk/2023/06/video-premiere-sourdurent-la-dumenchada/

Nigella D said...

I enjoyed both poems! So much for happily ever after, owl and pussycat.

Jen McDonagh said...

Oh gosh! I understand what you mean about Chaucer probably being familiar with tenson poetry, though I don't think the Canterbury Tales were quite so overt in their bawdiness. Well done with your own terson, a neat idea.

Seb Politov said...

This was fun. A continuity/fashion question though: Montan's tenson has the man "with my trousers lowered" and yet the troubadours as pictured all appear to wear dresses, it's just that the men have beards too. When did men start wearing the trousers?

Anonymous said...

That Montan, bloody rude! 😂😂😂

Jay Henderson said...

I think the tenson must be one of the strangest poetic styles. I'd like to know more about how and why it became so popular. Thanks for whetting my appetite.

terry quinn said...

I've just had to have a lie down after reading the Old Occitan. Makes me wonder what the New version is and where it takes the reader.

Congrats on the rhyming scheme in your version. Bet that was hard work. And it led to a very funny poem.

Vicky Maclean said...

Bravo Steve. I enjoyed the way your owl and pussycat unravelled over six stanzas!

Ruth Maxwell said...

I quite surprised myself by enjoying that Montan tenson, probably because it's so outrageous. Clever of you to point the finger at Edward Lear (matchmaker) for the predicament owl and pussy found themselves in. 😉

Anonymous said...

Ooh missus! A touch of hyperbollocks! 😂

Gilles Sabonnères said...

Thank you for bringing attention to Occitan poetry tradition. It is not all as graphic as Montan. See Bernart, Cercamon or Marcabru, also Arnaut Daniel who created the sestina.