written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Saturday 8 June 2024

Deadlines

Date: Saturday 8-June-2024. Time: 23:59 hrs. Locus: South Shore, Blackpool, England...

Phew! That was close.  Deadline's   met. Love one or loathe it (and I'm sure most people live in a slight fear of them), where would we be without the concept of deadlines? In an age of chaos and randomness, that's where. Plans would be poleaxed, schedules and schemes scuppered, timetables trashed. What was it the poet W.B. Yeats said? "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..." We wouldn't want that. 

As to where the term originated, I refer you to my friend Terry Quinn's blog from earlier in the week where he explores various alternatives relating to fishing, printing-presses and prison yards. Suffice to say that the generally accepted meaning of the word in the 21st century is a date/time by which some task has to be completed or else.

The "or else" bit varies according to circumstance. And naturally one's incentive to meet a deadline is usually in relation to the weight of the consequence and perhaps whether the deadline was mutually agreed or not.  

Maybe the essay doesn't get marked, the job application doesn't get considered, an article doesn't get published, the vote doesn't get cast, a passport becomes invalid or a holiday flight is missed, or some scheme falls through. Perhaps a fine or penalty payment is incurred, or hefty compensation becomes due. In extreme cases a finger or ear might get sliced off, or property be destroyed, or lives lost., or a planet dies. That latter scenario gives added and graphic meaning to the term.

the "dead" line
Time is running out. Enough of these Saturday night musings. Suffice it to say that I don't personally have a problem with deadlines. They are in place for a good reason. They are there to encourage and help us. For the most part, deadlines are our friends.😉 We should love and respect them. Move on...

My latest poem has a Greek theme. Now there's a surprise. Last summer while on holiday in Zakynthos I re-read a collection of Euripides' tragic plays. I based a blog and poem on the play 'Medea' back in September (linked here if you wish to check it out ==> Gate). Today I've written something based on the play 'Hecuba'.  She was the wife of King Priam of Troy. The  connection to this week's theme is literal in at least two respects. 

Firstly, Hecuba is contemplating a dead line, the end of a dynasty. After the Greek victory over Troy, her husband King Priam lies dead, and all her sons have been killed (Troilus, Hector, Paris, Deiphobus et cetera), as have most of her daughters. Only Cassandra and Polyxena survive, taken into slavery as is Hecuba by the conquering Greeks. Then Polyxena gets sacrificed  as atonement for Achilles' death and Cassandra's days are numbered. These grievous events drive Hecuba to madness and eventual suicide. She throws herself overboard from the ship taking her to a life of captivity in Greece.

Secondly, the script of Euripides' play is just so many dead lines until the actors bring those lines to life, and for about a thousand years between 400BC and the Renaissance they were rarely acted at all. In fact it was only in the 19th century when translations from Ancient Greek into English, French and German became popular that actors were able to bring these powerful tragic plays to mainstream theatre. And what phenomenal roles they are, the title characters in Euripides' plays: Hecuba, Medea, Electra, Iphigenia and more. Catch one if you can. 

Hecuba, Queen of Troy
The form of today's poem, as you might guess from its title if you've ever seen the TV programme from which it takes its name, references that part of the show when a guest is introduced and the three panellists on one team each have to explain their connection to the guest. Only one explanation is true. The panellists on the opposing team have to guess which one by interrogating their opponents' explanations. 

I've only written from the perspective of one person, Odysseus, but it stands well on its own, I think. By the way, the sub-title of the poem is taken from a scene in 'Hamlet'. 

Would I Lie To You?
"What's Hecuba to him...?"
This is Hecuba
and when I snuck into Troy
under cover as a spy 
in the early years of the war,
trying to gain intelligence
that would help we Greeks
bring this campaign 
to a speedy end
before we sacrificed
many more brave men
from each conflicting side,
Helen recognised me
even in my filthy wrappings,
with blackened and bloodied face.

She didn't betray me but told
only Hecuba, Queen of Troy.
And Hecuba, looking into my eyes
saw me for what I was,
not just a spy but a king
in disguise. And royally 
she served me then
when she could have
had me dragged off and killed.
She was civil, showed compassion,
understood my mission.
spared my life and secretly
despatched me in safety
from the city back to you.

So I say pity her now in her rags
and ashes. She is haggard
and broken by grief  for the loss
of her king and all her brave sons,
but spare her life.
She is a royal wife and mother
and though she rants and spittles
and barks like a mad dog
she is no threat to us now. Let me
show some kindness in return,
repay her gesture of years ago.
In compassion let her be led 
to my ship, not as a slave
but with tact, as a guest. 
Indulge me in this noble act.

Thanks for reading, S ;-)

12 comments:

Tina Lewis said...

This is great. I've always enjoyed Would I Lie To You. But I loathe deadlines. I'm not familiar with the Hecuba story but your poem original in form and telling even if the content is well known to many.

Saskia Parker said...

Your blogs never disappoint. I loved this. Keep meeting the deadlines.

Ben Templeton said...

It looks as though you smashed that (in modern parlance) with seconds to spare (lol). I happen to agree that deadlines are our friends, but I've not always been of that view. Life has taught me some valuable lessons in that respect. In fact if anything I'm inclined now to do things asap just to get them out of the way. I know nothing about Hecuba but I like the concept of hour poem and its lyrical flow. t's a moving piece.

Neil Burton said...

Really love the poem Steve , content , form and meter
The imagery of character is powerful and the compassion so real .
Thank you for the pleasure of reading it

Neil

Dermot said...

A great blog Steve. You really do know your Ancient Greek history and culture. It's a really good poem as well. Very moving.

Nigella D said...

I hate deadlines because I'm a bit disorganised. Nevertheless I enjoyed the blog immensely. As others have already said, your poem is very moving.

Kate Eggleston-Wirtz said...

Interesting twist on deadlines - dead lines… always interesting Steve. Sensitive poem regarding the tragic tale of Hecuba.

terry quinn said...

Fair play to you for reading, never mind re-reading, the tragic plays.

Very interesting reading.

Congrats on the poem as well.

Will Griffin said...

I appreciate that you read these old Greek tragedies so we don't have to (LOL) and it' a neat device, the WILTY idea. 😉

Anonymous said...

It is full of engaging, poetic description and a pleasing read for a classic, intellectual subject.

Mark II Ford said...

One thing I know about deadlines, I couldn't keep hitting them every Saturday like you do! Impressive stuff. And pretty much a new poem every week as well. Kudos.

Ailsa Cox said...

Deadlines are no friends of mine, they constantly embarrass me. However, I like the twist you've taken here and it's a moving poem.