written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Sunday 18 August 2013

To August.

Good afternoon folks,

This week on the blog we've been looking at familiar themes. If there is one thing I share in common with a lot of people it is a love of football, so for that, I've decided to write a poem- as a bit of a wake up for the Premier League season. I'm excited. I don't even support a top flight team (I'm a Blackpool fan- we started 2 weeks ago) but that doesn't stop there being something special about the 'big' opening weekend. 
Without further ado then, a poem.

To August. 

After good-byes to Fergie, Mancini and Rafa
The pigeons again have been cleared from the rafters
The grass has been cut and the pitches re-sown
The kits now unveiled and there's tech for the goals.
There'll be Rooney and Luis though neither are playing
And the Welsh whizz kid Bale's off- or so they're saying
The money is bigger, the reward increased
Which basically means you'll pay more for your seats
But you're in- you can't help yourself- this is your love
Whether out on the terrace, at home or the pub
The hope lives within you- child, woman or man
You've played here in your dreams, it's what makes you a fan
So for all of those moments you consider dear
Welcome back, old familiars, this could well be your year. 



Thanks for reading, S. 

2 comments:

Colin Daives said...

I totally agree, life has started again.

Ashley Lister said...

When I was growing up I used to dread the start of the football season as attention to the sport dominated our house.

Personally, I could never understand the appeal but I appreciate it's of immense importance to the vast majority.

Strong poetry.

Ash